Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Transitions (CA - Uno, Mark, & the Shepherds)

PreviousPage 5 of 9Next

"Bob always makes a pretty convincing argument, doesn't he?" Mark said, giving Val a knowing smile. There was a sort of comeraderie in it, like he didn't know what Val had been roped into, but he was a fellow prisoner... Not an ungrateful one, though. Bob was a good guy. There was a reason so many looked up to him with respect and trust.

Then he clicked his tongue and shook his head. "Drug deals, search and rescue--geez, I admire you guys. First response has got to be tough. I've helped some officers in my own line of work before. Heard a lot of stories. Still, hard to imagine the kinds of stuff you guys see every day."

Saw, anyway.” Bob corrected. “Good to be retired. Eleanor wants to keep on her feet a few more years. As for me, I’m passing the torch to someone with a younger back.”

Finishing his drink, the older man stood and stared at the clock. “Still used to calling it early for morning shift, though.” He collected his glass and went to the kitchen, rinsing it.

”I made you a rum and coke, Mark, but help yourself to, eh-whatever… Eleanors got some juice in here I think… tea, coffee…” he shuffled around for a second. “Well, anyway, you’ll figure it out-she’s moved everything around in here.. what’s ours is yours. You too, Val. No wild parties though. Goodnight, boys.” His voice was fading, he was already nearly to his bedroom when he finished talking…

Mark looked at his watch. 8:00 pm was... Too early for him to use the same excuse as Bob. And too late to think of dinner.

"Yeah I think I'll have that rum and coke," he said, and excused himself with a smile to go fetch it. He returned in just a moment and sat down.

"So let me ask you something," he said, swirling the cup. "And this is totally random, so bear with me. Say we made first contact with aliens tomorrow, and after a couple of weeks they ask you and a few others to go with them back to their home planet to serve as delegates of Earth culture. Would you go?"

It wasn't a joke. He looked totally serious.

I watched Bob leave. I'd expected him to do it just like I'd expect a cat to come when called, but that still didn't do anything for the helpless look I'd shot him.  I sat there, clinking the remaining dredges of ice of my drink, contemplating how exactly I was going to break the ice to Mark we were part of the same social experiment.

Only for him to beat me to the punch.  I stared at him, waiting for a tell that never came.  I contemplated his intentions only second to the question, because now I was wondering just what made Bob think Mark was the kind of person that could handle our kind of truth.

"I would be concerned by any alien race that chooses me over many more qualified people," I shot Mark a look, as though to pause any precognitions he'd have at that statement just then, "I'm not saying that to garner sympathy on all my redeeming and wonderful qualities, but I'm just saying that the kind of people they choose says a lot about their own culture. What were the qualities of mine that attracted them?  If it's my good ones, then maybe. If it's my bad ones, then we should inform the president it's a matter of national security".

Now there was no drink to distract myself with.  I meant it as a joke. Probably. Mark would probably walk out that door if he knew what was good for him, and I couldn't say I would disagree.

I cleared my throat and did the polite human thing where I asked follow-up questions to a conversation.

"Why. Would you go?".

Mark nodded thoughtfully to Val's answer, and chuckled on cue at the joke about national security. He took a drink, and pulled a face at the return question even before he swallowed. "Who, me?" he asked. "Well, see, when I was a kid, I loved watching reruns of The Twilight Zone. My favourite episode's called To Serve Man. So Earth's a mess, right? Wars, famines, y'know, everything we've got going on today. Then these aliens show up and they say they can fix the world's problems. Famine? Fixed. Wars? History. Energy crisis? Solved. Now, naturally, we're pretty skeptical in the beginning. We put 'em through all kinds of tests--they pass polygraphs and everything, confirming they're telling the truth. Well, we discover the aliens have this book, and we set to work trying to translate it. Find out the title is, in fact, To Serve Man. So we accept their advanced technology, set up embassies all over the world--they're doing everything they said they would--and then they start inviting us to come visit theirs. Right at the end of the episode, our main guy is getting on the ship, when the translator comes running up, screaming at him to get off the ship, don't go. To Serve Man? It's a cookbook."

He laughed. "You saw that coming, right? I sure didn't as an 11 year old. Well, it's too late for our guy. It's a Twilight Zone episode, after all. I couldn't sleep for weeks. No, sir, I would not get on the ship. I'll keep my feet planted firmly on Earth, thanks. Those aliens didn't lie, not once, but their intentions definitely were not what they first appeared. But I loved it. That's the kind of twist ending that really makes you think deep about things, instead of just accepting it for what it looks like on the surface."

I almost wondered if Chapman had put him up to this.  That maybe Mark knew it all, and Chapman had put him up to this elaborate joke as a final test to my own finesse. Because the irony of sitting at the table, talking about aliens like it was a real possibility, while basically being that self-same alien. Well.

Besides angering some deity, I was otherwise 90% certain werewolves were probably some alien virus from a passing asteroid ten thousand years ago. You can't say I'm wrong, so may as well assume I was the alien at the table in this science fiction discussion.

"Most things aren't," I said at last, chewing at my tongue to remember the border of finesse and destruction, "Although, sounds like these people could have been more paranoid about aliens. Honestly, did they watch Independence Day? An alien species usually isn't good news for the locals. Even with the best of intentions, they are well - alien- and their understanding of what a human needs or wants is passable at best".

Mark was probably going to be loosing a whole lot more sleep soon. But not tonight. Probably. As long as I could remember how to dance this game Chapman seemed to take sick delight in.

"Still believe in aliens?" I asked. Casually. Probably.

Mark chuckled easily. "Independence Day, now that's a great movie," he said. "Although I think it's fair to say they hadn't seen it in the 60's yet. Even if they had, the Independence Day aliens look like monsters. The aliens in The Twilight Zone look like us, just taller and with bigger heads. That can make a big difference for how quickly we're willing to trust another species. Heck, even in our own species it's easier to trust the guys that look like us rather than the ones that don't. I think, as humans, we don't want to be alone in the universe. We'd like to think there's another species like us out there. And the optimistic view is that they're benevolent and wise and can take us by the hand and lead us to a utopian society like theirs. Pessimists would say they're out to exterminate us for our resources, or use us as a resource. The uh, I would say, probably more realistic possibility is that, if there's life like us out there, it's a lot more nuanced than either view. No two humans share the same motives, why would two aliens? Unless it's like some kind of hive-mind species. But you know, I'm not sure how realistic the concept of a hive-mind is. Bees and ants are capable of operating as individuals. But they communicate by pheromones, which we've been unable to detect until recently, so we see these silent non-sentient creatures work together to create complex structures like nests, respond in unison to threats, and somehow all know where the resource is after one has discovered, so it seems like, on the surface, that they all shared one mind."

He took another long draught of his drink. Then shrugged at Val's question. "I think anything's possible. How about you?"

"Humans tend to trust what looks familiar, I suppose.  You've studied psychology so I'm sure you're all over that one.  Still, it doesn't make the unknowing danger any less real," I'm sure Chapman was cackling somewhere at all that finesse.

"I tend to keep an open mind," I shrugged honestly, "A lot of weird things have happened in my life and I just don't think I'm any sort of expert on what's impossible. It's basically impossible to prove something doesn't exist, so by default I have to believe it could".

I rattled my glass absently listening to the sound of ice cubes chinking on the side. I didn't really care for drinking much, but it felt weird to stare at an empty glass. There's something casual about holding one, filling up awkward silences with intention.  I might actually have to take up Chapman's offer and raid his supplies.

I cleared my throat and ignored the part of me that wanted to kick myself, "Who knows - there could be an alien sitting with you at this very table and you'd never know".

I stood up, "Hey, I'm going to refill with a soda or something. Want anything?"

"You've actually thought about this a lot before this conversation, haven't you?" Mark asked, looking amused as he leaned back in his seat, relaxed. "I wouldn't have taken you for an aliens guy more than fifteen minutes ago."

He raised his half-full glass as if to toast and added, "Always something under the surface."

He laughed again at Val saying there could be an alien sitting at the table with him. There was something oddly serious to the way he'd said it though, and some kind of confusion touched Mark's features only for a second. Like 'alien' had a double meaning. But if he was taking Chapman's place at the station, he was definitely a legal citizen. Not that Mark minded either way, of course. A person's a person, regardless of what side of the border they're from as far as he was concerned.

"Oh, I'm good for now. Thanks," Mark replied to his offer for another drink.

I didn't answer as I'm starring down Chapman's fridge for some soda. I guess his wife really had carried through on her threats because I found it suspiciously devoid of anything remotely red meat, deep fried, overly salted, or sugary. I settled instead for the seltzer water in the liquor cabinet, filled a glass with ice, and poured it on top. I probably should thank Mrs. Chapman later for keeping my blood sugar down.

As my hands moved, I was still mulling over the half-second delay in Mark's expression.  There was something not sitting right in his laugh - maybe I'd just been imagining it - but I couldn't help but worry I'd already messed this up.

I guess for silver linings, the man would never suspect I was a werewolf.

Alternatively, he may now believe in aliens more than he once did and join a tin foil hat society.

I wasn't sure if Chapman would applaud or cry over that kind of subtlety.... But at least I knew one thing.  The man could have an open mind, and if you were anywhere near Chapman's shenanigans, you would need it.

I returned, clutching my drink, and settled myself back at the table.  The conversation had lapsed.  I felt a prickle of Chapman's plans spinning at the back of my head, and although the topic of aliens was amusing, there really was only one way to know if this would work.  In the words of the wise - the only way through was through.

"You've known Chapman a while, haven't you?" I didn't bother to segway it because frankly I was lousy with that kind of thing.

PreviousPage 5 of 9Next