Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Oaks to Ashes

PreviousPage 2 of 2

The heat crept at the back of my neck to Clay and Tara's words. It wasn't the first time I had received them. Chapman had said something similar back in the woods.   I'd spent most of my life learning how to look behind me as I went for something creeping up behind me. Even when Robin had my back, between three eyes, there had never been enough for every threat.

I trusted Chapman, and by extension I should trust his men. It should be easy, but trust was a funny thing that had to be earned, not given. On both our ends - because my abilities were just as much an unknown to them as theirs were to me. It was a fun little paradox that could only be resolved in that first step forward.

I exhaled the breath in my chest, letting it go steadily through my nose. It was far too late to turn back now. Besides, if Lyra could be brave enough to stand beside the very thing that had haunted her since her partner's death tonight... then I could be brave enough for the leap of faith.

The silence was telling. Tara decided to shut up and went around to the other side of the car to check on Eleanor and let her know Clay's thoughts.

Clay returned shortly after.

"Alright... you guys ready?"

"Mmm".

Time was slipping away quickly. Even if Chapman's property backed out to the woods, I still didn't necessarily want to be strolling on the ashes of his lawn in my winter-coat. In any case, things were about to get interesting.

PreviousPage 2 of 2