Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Transitions (CA - Uno, Mark, & the Shepherds)

PreviousPage 6 of 9Next

"A few years," Mark said. "My uh," he felt his throat constrict a little. Eyes reteated. He blinked. But he smiled, and puffed a breath through his nose, willing no emotion come through in his voice. Cleared his throat. "Sorry, tickle in my throat. My niece served on his force. Bob was like a second father to her."

A minute ago, he opened his mouth and words came easily, unbidden. Now, that was all he could say.

I hadn't meant for it to be a hard question. It was supposed to be an easy question right before the hard one.  But there was no doubting the reaction. Years ago, when I'd first been turned, it had taken me a while to pick up the finer details of a person's emotional state just from smell or sound.  I still defaulted to what I could obviously see. Even now it was an old habit.

But sadness has a certain smell. Something heavy and foreboding, like dusty lavender almost - and a brush of something sharp and acrid, the anger always lurking behind sorrow's curtains.  I watched the man, wondering what I had said - only to reflect briefly on something Chapman had said earlier about Lyra.

She'd just lost her partner a few months ago in the same accident that had caused her to look more deeply into our kind....

It couldn't be related, could it? Chapman wouldn't try to wrap things up that neatly, would he?

The question was an answer unto itself.

I sighed heavily.  I wouldn't broach that topic, but now I felt uneasy in my seat.  It wasn't that I thought Mark was made of glass but well - around us, around all of this world Chapman was dangling him in front of he was, and here I was welcoming onward with just one more vulnerability engrained in his heart.

But as they say, the only way through is through.

I cleared my throat, "Then you've probably noticed Chapman is a smart man. A gracious host, but I'm afraid we've both been lured into the same trap".

I flashed him a smile, "Not to say it's a bad one, only I wouldn't call it just a dinner party. For some reason, he has it in his head we should meet".

Mark finished his drink, as a way to distance himself a bit from the awkward sympathy, noting that Val hadn't bought the 'tickle in my throat' excuse. He didn't know if Val knew about Kimberly, but he was grateful that he didn't ask any follow-up questions like 'was like a second father?' or 'where is your niece now?'. Instead Val sighed, something else heavy on his mind to shift the topic to. Mark was curious what he was holding back.

"You picked up on that too?" Mark asked. Bob had excused himself way too fast once he had the two of them in the same room together. So either Bob had pre-planned their meeting for some uncomfortable reason--or some private matter he felt he didn't need to be part of--or Val did, and he didn't know Val, so he assumed it was Bob.

"What did he tell you?"

"Mmm...." here we were, guinea pigs, discussing the science behind the scientist. It was anyone's guess what Chapman was ever planning at any one moment.

Except I did know. Or part of it. And I just didn't like it.  I guess I could forestall and whine and talk about aliens the entire night. I didn't have to do anything - Chapman had said as much.  But there was an itchy uncomfortableness beneath my skin too, sensing something was there without knowing what it was.

I peeled myself out of my own head with a spatula and met Mark's eyes.

"Well, a few things.  First that he wants me to help backfill a position at the office as a result of his retirement.  And secondly, that given the nature I left last time, he's concerned on my transition back".

I let that settle. Let the story between the lines be told, because I sure didn't want to explain the eye patch tonight.

"But beyond that, I suspect Chapman is pulling something of a science experiment with us," I shrugged as a way to stall, because explaining this without the word werewolf was a tricky one, "He wants to know how well I'm going to adjust and I would guess he's exploring a project in helping some of his other... officers".

"Anyways - that much he didn't say. But that's my educated guess... Just so you know, I was just showing up tonight for some help with paperwork and didn't even call ahead. He saw a good opportunity and took advantage of it".

"So he wants you to take advantage of my services," Mark surmised. "He told you I'm a licensed therapist?"

He leaned back in his chair. "We spoke this morning about me working as a camp counselor for his granddaughter and some of her friends. Some kind of summer camp, I guess? Sounds like he really wants to get me back to work too. Sheesh, I'm glad Bob's on our side. His efficiency is peak."

He shrugged. "Anyway, it doesn't need to be all cloak and dagger. That is, if you even want therapy. Kinda sounds like your arm's been twisted a little here. And I'll tell you right now, in order for any therapy to be effective, it has to be your choice. You're in the one in control. I'd just be here to listen and offer advice."

"He what?" I couldn't stop myself from the reaction or do anything to hide my jaw that just hit the floor.  In a world of werewolves, I was a beacon to my emotions. In the world of humans, I was still a pretty bright flashlight and Mark was very very perceptive.  I was glad I hadn't taken a drink of water just then for the full and proper spit-take.

So much for dancing.

I had a fair idea what Chapman's "summer camp" was all about.  Sincerely enough to be terribly concerned for Mark's safety.  Now the tricky bit in communicating that without mentioning 'mentally monstrous wolf-like creatures that could tear you apart in seconds'.

"Sorry. That just caught me off-guard is all.  Bianca is fine.  Absolutely lovely, I knew her a little as a kid. It's just ahh.... a lot of the other people up there are not mentally stable due to a variety of external life circumstances. Chapman has um, mentioned it to me.  I'm a little concerned about your safety," I admitted to him.  It was the closest I could come to the truth, but no way was I sending Mark up there without a warning.

I leaned back in my seat and took a long drink of the carbonated water, stilling my thoughts.

"I know as much. Bob has never made me do anything I didn't want to do. I might not always agree with him, but he took a chance on me back then so I'll take a chance on him now.  In truth, I'm a little bit... nervous. I won't say my life is back to normal, but it's back to a routine that works for me.  I'm not the person I was and I know that.  But I don't really not want to do anything worthwhile with my life as a result of bad experiences.  I also don't want to mess up or let down Bob's faith in me.  So I'm inclined to give it a shot in the interest of putting my best foot forward".

Mark had expected an interesting response. He'd just expected it to be on the grounds of being so forward as to offer therapy to a guy he barely met twenty minutes ago, who hadn't really asked for it. Danced around it, but not said it outright. Mark wasn't much of a dancer, himself. He'd always found it much more effective to cut to the chase. It'd been his experience most people appreciated him taking the leap and saying the awkward thing they wanted to say for them. Even when they didn't appreciate appreciate it. It gave them a chance to challenge the idea coming from an outsider, rather than challenge the idea inside themselves. He was fine being that outlet, or he'd have pursued a different career.

But no, the interesting response came in regards to the "summer camp" Chapman had presented that morning.

And Val's reaction was full of the same mixed signals Bob's had been when he first presented the idea. Bianca's fine, great kid. Might not be handling grief in the best way, is what Chapman said. But she'd surrounded herself with friends who could also use a listening ear and some counsel at this private camp, said Bob. Mentally unstable and dangerous friends, said Val. Val, who was concerned about his safety in this company, but didn't seem too worried about Bianca's. And neither Bob nor Val were telling him exactly the truth. Both weaved around it like it was a snake.

If Bob hadn't had a long and decorated career as police chief, he'd wonder if there was something less than legal going on at this "private camp".

But he'd agreed to go up there already, so he figured he'd find out one way or another. Right now, his focus was Val.

He nodded appreciatively. "Sometimes the most worthwhile things a person can do in life start with a leap of faith."

I focused on the sound of the bubbles hitting the glass and held it tightly so I wouldn't drop the thing when Mark no doubt asked follow-up questions I couldn't give the answer to.

Silver linings - he didn't.

Not so silver linings, we were back to the sticky topic of therapy.

I sighed wearily, feeling all the weight of the day at once. I was a used up sock at the back of washing machine and about on my last two threads.  I looked up to make eye contact, giving Mark the barest of nods, but found I couldn't summon a word of response to that.

Finally, I set the glass down and cracked the kink out of my neck.

"Sorry, it's just... been a long, weird day with everything moving a lot faster than I'd expected it to.  I'm about out of brain cells... but I am interested. Just not, tonight," I chuckled, because I had a hunch Mark felt the same. It had to have been a long day for him to since Chapman had bulldozed into his life.

"If you have a business card or something, I can call you about it sometime?  As it is, I'm probably going to need to get home soon and hibernate".

I was about ready to stand, shake hands, take a card and skedaddle out the door before I could think too hard about what I'd just agreed to do, except for a nagging irksome thought turning in the back of my head. Call it paranoia. Call it PTSD. Or call it the thing that kept me alive as long as it did.

I fished around for a pen and paper Chapman had left sitting out and scribbled down my cell number. My personal cell number that only Chapman and Robin had. I tried not to think about the significance of that. A cell phone number was just a cell phone number, and I'd probably be handing it out a lot more often with this new career trajectory.

"Outside of all that, and entirely unrelated - but in case you ever need it when you're up there at the summer camp and feel in any way unsafe just call me. Usually Chapman is good about picking up his phone but sometimes he gets occupied with his other side projects. If it's a matter of physical safety and he's not around, just let me know and I'll be there".

I passed the pad with a shrug. It was probably an extremely weird offer to give your future therapist, but whatever. He could call it, or not call it. At least I could sleep better tonight with one less terrible thought.

Mark took the pad with a "Thanks", but it was hard to hide the look of confusion that crossed his face at what Val said. But he offered a "Yeah, no, it's pretty late, been a long day for me too. I'll probably turn in here in a minute."

And wondered what the heck he'd gotten himself into. Uncomfortable truths omitted. Chapman's picture of the camp being a wilderness retreat for troubled teens. Val's number, in case he found himself in physical danger among the mentally unstable. Well... He knew the truth usually lay in the middle of two extremes. But what on earth was in the middle of 'wilderness retreat' and 'here's my number, call me if you feel unsafe'?

After an awkward goodbye and briefly grabbing Mark's business card, I made my way back to my car like a bandit in the night. Not that I was trying to get away with a crime exactly - but well, it might be an interesting conversation with Chapman tomorrow.

The library was closed already, so I couldn't stop by to do some 'light reading' on the goings of Reknab bend the last year as I had planned so I instead turned in back home.  An omlette was on the menu - as was a very interesting conversation.

All that said, I was surprised more than anyone when I did exactly what I said I would do that night - pass instantly asleep without the slightest thought of what the future would bring.

PreviousPage 6 of 9Next