Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Where the Apple Falls

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

Toby's last question felt like a stick had smacked Dakota in the face. Although not much got under the thirteen year olds skin, his ego was still young and fragile in places; Although an accident, Toby's question unknowingly landed right smack dab on a weak spot.

" My father taught me everything I know. It was just as good as any formal education," Dakota responded, trying to not sound like he had just been offended. He placed the apple in the bucket on the ground and continued. " In some ways, it was much better and taught me more," he said with some pride.

"You're lucky." Toby said distantly, picking another apple from the tree without looking at Dakota. He put the fruit in his basket and was silent for a moment, staring with downcast eyes. Then he smiled and looked at the boy. "--That you got to learn from your father, I mean. I bet there are some pretty good memories wrapped up in that."

Dakota looked back at Toby, confused initially by his first words. Then when Toby clarified, Dakota's expression grew somewhat melancholy. " There was," he replied softly. He went back to work, but in his eyes were still contemplative reflections. Eventually he spoke.

" Toby... You don't have to answer if your not comfortable, but... What happened to your father?"

Ordinarily such a question would give one pause, and they would have to carefully consider how to answer while sifting through painful memories and personal feelings, but Toby responded with a casual shrug. "Ran off. He and my uncle both. I couldn't even walk yet, so I have no memory of them at all."

" That's awful," Dakota said with mild reproach. " He's not deserving of being called your father then, for he never was."

"I guess you're right." Toby said, putting another apple in the basket. For a moment, he paused his apple picking to look at the orchard around him and seemed a little wistful. "...At least he didn't disappear like the rest of them did."

Dakota thought on those words a moment, his mind going back to his own father's tale of the packs disappearance. He shook his head.

" No, I suppose he did not. But those that disappeared did not choose to disappear, while your father chose to leave. Maybe I am out of line in saying, but I think that is much worse."

Again, Toby shrugged. "What's worse: Being murdered or being a coward?" He asked, though his tone indicated that it wasn't really a question. He moved around the other side of the tree to gather apples there. "I don't know why he left, but I've always kinda thought he might've been scared: Scared of what was happening on the mountain, or scared of raising me by himself. ...I won't hold it against someone for doing something stupid if they're afraid, I know too well what fear feels like."

Dakota eyed Toby a moment, then looked and saw that they had gathered most of the good apples around the area. So, he grabbed his bucket full of apples and found a new spot not too far off to work as well.

Yet again, rather unintentionally, Toby's words hit a weak spot in Dakota of a place that was still trying to be mended. There were many words that were harsh that surfaced in his mind that he wanted to say, but he said none of them.

" I understand, but don't agree," Dakota said at length. He turned his back to Toby and continued gathering apples, noting his bucket was over half way full and they'd be done soon enough. He continued his work in silence.

Toby didn't say anything else, but continued to gather apples. In his head, he was trying to figure out how to continue the conversation after that. "So, what have you been doing all this time? I haven't seen you guys since you were very little; what have you been up to?"

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next