Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Where the Apple Falls

PreviousPage 3 of 3

Dakota was still trying to recover his inner peace when Toby asked his question, and thus was slow to respond. " Samantha and I were living with my father in the mountains all these years, just as we'd been when we last visited," he said as he absentmindedly continued gathering apples.

"Yeah, of course, but what have you been doing?" Toby asked again, trying to clarify what he meant. "You guys practically had the whole place to yourselves, how did you spend your time?"

Whether Toby meant before or after Dakota's father had died, it did not matter, for Dakota interpreted as the latter. Dakota had a lot of thoughts stir about the past year he had suffered through without his father. A moment passed before he responded simply with " Samantha and I were studying. What else would we do?"

Though Toby thought that studying seemed like a perfectly acceptable way to spend one's time, he found it a little hard to believe that was all that pups as young as Dekota and Samantha spent their time doing. "...Play?" He ventured hesitantly, "Explore? Roughhouse?"

" Samantha played," Dakota said to Toby's suggestions. " I worked."

Toby had no further questions to ask. He didn't like prying an answer out of someone and Dekota seemed like he'd said everything he was willing to say. So, the conversation lapsed into silence.

And so the two boys continued their apple gathering in silence. It wasn't long till their baskets were full and they began the trek back to the cabins.

In silence they made their way down the hill, past Ziet's ranch and up the path towards the cabins. The silence seems like it would continue for the whole journey back, when Dakota suddenly spoke.

" Do you bake Toby?" He asked, as the cabins were barely growing visable in the distance.

PreviousPage 3 of 3