Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Into the Woods (CA - Uno, Mark, & the Shepherds)

PreviousPage 4 of 10Next

"It's nobodies favorite topic around here."

The light filtered in through the gaps in the canopy and danced along the path. While the pines remained unfazed, the other trees that spotted the area had already begun to turn with the spontaneity of the weather. Occasionally, a squirrel chattered angrily at their passing, or a bird took flight with their approach.

Tara laughed listlessly as she tied up the end of her braid, “Honestly, no. I travel once or twice a year with my partner, usually to the west coast. I’m more of a, find a nice piece of beach and plant my butt there without moving. Bob looks for an excuse to go camping or hunting “with the boys-“,” she said the last few words in a deep, mockingly masculine tone, “-every other month.”

Of course, part of that was due to them being werewolves, but Tara would spare Mark that minor detail.

“Honestly he always asks if I want to come, he’s not like that. The idea of being on a mountain without my bed and stuck with bunch of smelly men doesn’t appeal much. But it’s a nice spot, wait til you see the views.” She winked and climbed down from the tailgate.

“You look exhausted. You can tell me to shut up anytime if you need some quiet after that drive. You can also tell me straight if you’re a small talk kind of guy or a deep dive conversationalist. I won’t be offended, I promise..” she raised an eyebrow, “You may also be able to uh, sneak in a few z’s in the camper. I’ll finish my book in the truck and we can make up time later.”

Tara seemed like a fascinating person. At any other time, he would have started one of those deep-dive conversations she'd mentioned, starting with "What made you change your mind and come along this time?" or something.

But he was exhausted. A quick nap in the camper sounded like a good idea. And if Tara had a book and didn't want for any company... maybe it'd be just as well?

And that's how he found himself, sometime later, jumping wide awake in a cold panic in the camper. He'd forgotten---! ...What had he forgotten...? Something, or someone, important. Left it behind. Abandoned... Fear and guilt twisted his insides for that one, horrible moment. And then it subsided, like it had never been.

He rubbed his eyes, as panic and intangibles gave way to comfortable, solid reality, and he relaxed. What time was it...?

Outside the camper, it was dark. Crickets sang loudly, and through the boughs of the pines, stars blanketed the sky, while moths gathered round the singular light post that warmed the small paved space.

Tara was still there, asleep in the front of the truck with the windows down. Her seat was back-her long legs outstretched across the dashboard, a book resting on her chest and wild mane having been let down again. Bob was not present-there was nobody to say if Mark might continue to rest or if he should rouse Tara to seek out the others. A digital alarm clock on one of the shelves that surrounded the mattress read "21:57" in green text.

---

They had traversed for hours along the side of the mountain, slowly climbing up towards it's highest point, where they crossed over onto the other side via a worn path. Once on the other side, Bob had begun to trek a lesser worn path, but a path nonetheless, before it seemed altogether an aimless walk.

Without descending far, their journey came to an end when at last, they came through a narrow area marked with several large stones, easily weighing several tons, onto a table, mostly devoid of trees and shrubs, that overlooked the valley below-placed well above the greatest heights of the pines. It was from here, they could see where the pines broke into open fields, and a river ran through the valley freely. The table was large enough to accommodate several. The only safe entry was from whence they came, through the unmovable arch of boulders which heavily blockaded every other entryway to the table. Below them on either side  were walls of loose stone slipping down into the brush and pines, so steep and loose that nothing could come up. The northern most edge of the table was a steep drop with nothing, not even loose stones, to break it's fall.

Bob had started a fire, and a tent had been pitched. He stared past the orange flames into the valley below. Even from this distance, his eyes were fixed on a herd of deer that lay near a shallow embankment near the river, where a man could cross without being completely submerged. In years of drought, it became but a narrow passage of water; presently, it was wide from the rains, yet still lacking depth at that portion of the river.

Earlier, it had been explained to Val that this area was the territory of a gray wolf pack. However, their territory expanded several miles north and west of the ridge, and Chapman did not anticipate seeing them this time of the year.

I'll say this for Chapman - in spite of his insistence of speech, he knew how to just sit back and enjoy what was happening around.  Periodically the silence was interspersed, yet otherwise I found myself with no more than the sound of crickets and the evening birds.  My legs pleasantly burned, and memories of darkened warehouses and the eyes of my enemies fell to the back of my thoughts.

When we at last arrived to the camp, I surmised this had not been Chapman's first visit by far. Whether the rocks served to prevent enemies encroaching or just curious hikers, I couldn't say... yet there was a re-assurance in the stony walls that I approved of.  Chapman went to ready the tent. I made half a move to join, only for the precipice at the edge of the stony table to call for me.

From up high, I could see a good chunk of the land we had just traversed and more. It was quiet and cool.  Chapman was near, but it was the closest I'd felt to being perfectly alone - but not lonely - since Robin had moved out.  I sat there at the edge, musing how far the world must go on from what could be seen.  I was also wondering whether Chapman intended we hunted those deer he kept eyeballing caveman style in front of Mark or not.

No urgency came to mind to speak, so I dare not invoke Chapman to the occasion - so I just sat.  We'd lost sight of Mark and Tara well close to the beginning. I assumed Tara had made good on her promise and turned in for a catnap in the camper, or better yet made an escape for it with Mark.  If they had, well they were certainly missing out on the world seen from up high.

Mark checked the clock twice. He couldn't believe he'd had a bout of uninterrupted sleep that long. And now the uncomfortable fact of the matter was that he was awake. Well-rested, yes. He felt better than he'd felt in a long time, actually. But he was awake. Very awake. At 10 pm.

He wasn't sure quite what to do.

If he were at home, he might take a walk. But he was not at home.

There could be bears. There were definitely mosquitos. He'd been bitten six times just walking outside the camper to check on Tara. He should have brought bug repellant. To the camping trip he hadn't known he was going on until about half an hour before he was going on it.

Maybe Chapman brought some.

Where the heck was Chapman? And Val?

So, as much as he would have much rather left Tara alone, he did finally approach the car and cleared his throat, hoping that would be enough to rouse her. As the seventh mosquito bit him, he wondered how she was sleeping so well with the window down.

Her eyelids parted briefly. She shifted and groaned, dropping an arm across her eyes. Then all at once remembered she was not at home on her mattress, and she whined audibly, kicking a bare heel against the dashboard like a frustrated child with a quiet, albeit defiant, "noooo".

A few seconds past, and it seemed like she would fall asleep after her fit. Yet, she managed instead to pull herself into a sit at the driver seat and let her head fall on the steering wheel. The key was turned, engaging the engine just long enough for Tara to look at the time on the clock.

Why did she agree to this? She felt bad for Mark, is why. Mark, who was probably standing outside her door or feigning interest in something else to avoid her temper tantrum.

The windows were rolled up and she climbed out of the driver seat, flipping her hair forward and back again to disperse the weight that had gathered unceremoniously on either side of her face during her nap. With the heel of her hand she wiped away the evidence of her nap from the corner of her lip and met Mark's eyes.

"Well... ready to go for a hike?"

Mark didn't look uncomfortable with Tara's tantrum, though he did politely shift his interest from her to swatting yet another mosquito. But he looked surprised at her suggestion. "Now...?" he asked. "I just wondered where Bob and Val got off to."

He scratched uncomfortably at a bite. "...I don't suppose you have any bug repellent? Apparently it's not all that hard to get a reservation at Café Mark for mosquito date-night. These guys are eating me alive."

"Gotta make sure Bob doesn't break a hip or something." Tara was slipping her socks back on before shaking out the boots she had left by the truck door and putting them on. Then she opened the cab and dug around, producing a can of aerosol bug spray.

"I'm sorry.. but can you blame 'em?" the woman remarked with a smirk, and tossed him the spray. Grabbing her backpack from before, she strapped it on and began towards the path Bob and Val had gone.

"Sorry guys, we're closed," Mark said, catching the repellant and giving himself a good dousing. He went back to the camper to fetch the pack she'd given him earlier, tucked the spray carefully inside, while sifting through for a flashlight. Then he strapped it on and went to follow Tara.

"I guess you haven't heard anything from Bob since they went up either? Geez, it's been a few hours." She didn't seem overly concerned, but still.

"Nope," Tara shrugged with a hand, "He likes to pitch a tent-if he even does that -and you know, really immerse himself." she smiled, not for Mark's benefit, since the man was walking behind her.

"So why'd you agree to come out? I know Bob's pretty hard to argue with, but you could have said no. Not that I'm upset you did, it's nice to have someone to suffer with."

PreviousPage 4 of 10Next