Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Turning Leaves (Robin, Uno, Bob, & Lyra)

PreviousPage 6 of 8Next

I watched as Robin intently as she spoke and nodded slowly.

“We’ve been roommates long enough.  I get it.  I snore, I shed, I leave dirty socks in the hallway, I drink more coffee than is probably within functional limits for life.  I hear you - you deserve better”.

I looked her in the eye as I said it, and though the sentiment was light I was starting to feel something to prick at my eye.  We’d been roommates for a long time, longer still if you counted our time together with Steele.  I knew Robin better than I’d ever known my own parents, better than any friend I’d ever had because of what we lived through together.  And maybe I felt it too - like you needed to just know where you ended and the other person began.

“Okay, young lady, some ground rules.  Don’t be out past 10, brush your teeth so you don’t get cavities, and eat your vegetables regularly. I can and will call daily.  If I don’t hear from you in more than two days, I will assume the worst and hunt you down as well as sic Chapman on you.  Don’t make me do it, because you know I will and I won’t even feel bad about it”

“Brunch on Sundays maybe?” I proposed in a stiff shrug, the pinprick in my eye a little more than that, “I’m assuming we could still do… normal people things, when you’re up to it of course”.

I turned towards the hallway, “You already packed? Need any help bringing your stuff over, or can you fit it all on the Harley?”

I listened to the rules and stipulations, smiling a small dimpled smile. My eyes were stinging, they'd been dried out for a while and had to learn the saline wasn't going to ruin them.

"I'd like that very much." I responded to the brunch on Sundays, then followed his gaze towards my room.

"No... I don't need help moving. But, I could use the moral support, if you want to spend one more night playing cards 'til sunrise. We'll stop for beer."

I flashed Robin a short-and-quick grin, "You're on for a mean game of Uno".

It was about midnight when we reached the cabin.

There was a north turn off the highway going west out of Middlecrest, that took a seemingly endless gravel road and winding at places until it crept along the western edges of the Turbulence Mountain range. It was nestled on a scope of land just at the base of her foothills. Two arms of the foothills stretched from the north and the west around the flat of the land engulfing the cabins acreage, so that when the sun rose and set you had shade on most of the property.

Except for the landline, the cabin was off the grid. It was equipped with a windmill for (limited) electricity and it drew water from a well. There was also a humble stream fed in along the north east side of the land from the peaks of the mountains, that followed the south side of the range until it fed into the Monvac miles away. If I wanted, I could irrigate it and make a garden...

The cabin itself was well made. Not boasting, humble in nature. It opened into a living area, wide and square, with an open kitchen on the left rear and a hall along the same wall. It had no more than two bedrooms - one room on each side of the hall - and a single bathroom at the end of the hall. Opposite of the kitchen on the east wall, was a narrow staircase to a loft living area where you could access an upper level patio on the rear of the cabin that gave a northern facing view of the mountain. Finally there was a basement accessible from outside where you could store firewood and a big deep freezer that would be good for keeping meat. That probably drew most of the power.

Outside there was fenced land and a small barn, suitable for maybe four cattle. If I knew I was good with horses I might get one of those, but anything with hooves that was bigger than me was a little daunting... I did however decide I might use the rest of my savings to buy goats for meat while the hunting is sparse. Then I could justify getting one of those big shepherd dogs.

There was a simple wood table inside, a cozy decorated living space downstairs as well as another small living space in the loft, and a furnace on each level. Both bedrooms had all the basics - beds with plenty of quilted blankets, nightstands, chest of drawers, and writing desks.

It needed dusting, and a little patchwork here and there. Nothing I couldn't handle. The only stipulation of staying here, besides general upkeep and watching over the land, was that if Chapman came across any loners that needed training or help transitioning into their lives - I'd have to take them in to help them. It would never be more than one at a time and never more than a year, which he required to find them accommodations. Still, I decided not to tell Uno about that yet. It was previously a job his family - his daughter and her husband - had carried out.. I wondered if it had something to do with their seperation, and Rebecca’s disappearence, but I had no intention of asking.

There were a couple of lamps on the fence bordering the house (that was more of a formality), and a lamp fixed to one of the support beams of the front porch. Otherwise, the only light was the blanket of stars above us.

Neither of us were at ease until we had combed the perimeter of the property and checked the shed for any visitors, but found nothing more than a cat and her littler of kittens up in the loft.

No sooner had we completed our check were we situated inside, various cardgames on the table and a cooler of beers beside it. I changed into a tshirt and a pair of flannel pajama bottoms, then threw a sweatshirt over that. Winters were going to be cold.

I sat at the table and began to deal out cards. We'd start with Nerts and Gin Rummy, then after we'd had a couple of drinks we could play the more repetitive mindless games like Uno. It was a namesake classic.

"It's been a long time. It hasn't changed at all..."

I mused, mostly to myself. Val learned a lot out here, but I wondered how much either of us really remembered. We were both just barely off of deaths door when Chapman brought us here all those years ago. His daughter, Rebecca, looked after us then.

I'd been a werewolf all those years without really knowing how to live like one. We learned to hunt, to survey a territory, to use our senses, and manipulate our forms to the best of our abilities. On paper, I knew that was the purpose of our being here. But in hindsight, it seemed like one long fever dream.

For all my time I’d stayed at this place, I’d never thought to come back.  It was one of those places that never quite seemed real.  Even as I was driving up to it, the very forest denied its presence until the last second; and then it emerged, all fairy-tale like, as some forgotten hideaway of Gretchen and Gretel’s witch.

We looked every inch of the place down.  While Robin had been messing with the kittens, I’d gone to inspect the porch.  Just like I’d remembered it, I found a familiar gouge the span of my forearm along the frame.  I let my fingers trace out the surface, an indent not made possible by human fingers…

How long ago I’d made that mark, been that person.  Trying to reflect back on it was like trying to swim upstream.  Everything a sluggish blur, my memories initially sparse but brilliant points along an otherwise dark canvas, slowly becoming more populated until the stream of consciousness became smooth and consistent again.  Just thinking about it made me dizzy.

I heard Robin stir to get the boardgames.  I turned to go inside, shutting the door to the porch behind me.

“Yeah,” I said quietly in response.

We were seated at the table. I was starring over our freshly dealt cards, keeping a close guard over their contents.  For all her feigned innocence, I’d known Robin to cheat if given the chance.

I sighed, rolling back on the seat as I took another sweeping gaze of the place.  It was unnecessarily, we’d already looked and smelled over every inch.

“Some things change though,” I said after a while, “Have any thoughts yet how you’ll make it your own?”

I opened a bottle for each of us once the cards were dealt, and looked up at Val with a small smile.

"I'm gonna get goats and shepherds..  dogs won't do anything if another were comes through, but least I'll have some company, and they'll keep coyotes away. I'm thinking of irrigating part of the stream and putting a garden on the east side of the lot.. gotta eat my vegetables." I winked and picked up my hand.

"Otherwise," I studied my cards, "You know I don't need a lot. There's a coffee pot and a fridge.. I don't know," I laughed, "I've never really had a style of my own, I guess... I get all my clothes in the mens section second hand, what do you want from me?" I laughed more and took a sip of the beer. Then thought about it a little more.

"... Maybe I'll plant some sunflowers, or least put up some sunflower drapes over the kitchen window. I always liked sunflowers."

I held down a chuckle as Robin started going off on goats.  I don’t know, something about imagining her as some wayward shepherd attending to her flock both seemed ridiculous and perfectly suited.

I managed to straighten my expression as she finished nodding to myself.

“Sure, some goat-skins on the wall, goat-skin underwear, goat-skin coffee mugs…. you can have a style Robin”.

And then Robin knew just what to say, like she’d found some nitty little thought in my brain I’d forgotten about, dusted it off, and held it up to the light.  I started squirming a little at the mention of ‘sunflowers’, and I daresay a lesser person wouldn’t have seen it, but trust Robin to find those sorts of things.

“Sunflowers huh? I’d never have guessed….”

“Yeah, well.. there’s that. Speaking of flowers, how was the date?” I smirked and leaned on the table towards Val.

My cheeks went a color - I mean, not much after all I'd put them through today - but still color enough that Robin could see it.

"Well," I started after a moment, "I think calling it a date is a gross exaggeration. Let the record show that I never called it that, if it pleases the court".

I looked away, not sure yet how to put it into words.  If I wasn't careful, Robin might still smack me for being a dolt about the entire endeavor.  At this rate, it was probably unavoidable.

I shrugged, spreading out my arms in a shrug, "What would you call a time you spend with someone playing scavenger hunt, but they don't even realize the thing they're looking for is right next to them... yeah...."

PreviousPage 6 of 8Next