Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

What Comes Next

Page 1 of 3Next

It's two in the morning. I think - if you wake up enough times in the middle of the night breathless and confused, you start to get an intrinsic feel for the hour without looking for the illuminated red numerals of the clock which will only burn into your retina.

I sit there a moment and count my breathing - in two, out one - until the initial panic dies down. Then I scan for the comforting weight of my body pressing against the mattress, the smell of an old lilac candlestick across the room I kept for just such a purpose, and the rattle of the wind against the eaves of the house.

There's half a thought to get up for a glass of water, but that's a double edged sword.  If I let myself move, I might not want to go back to sleep. Instead I just hold to the comforting weight of the blanket on top of me and the rattle of wind and lilac.

I'm sure, if I really needed to, I could call her. But I don't need to.  It's only been two days, and if I can't manage to be a half-way functioning person in even two days then who knows how I'll manage the rest of my life.  Besides, what would I even say? It's the first time I'd ever slept in a house alone? It sounds silly and childish even in my own head.  I was at least twenty-something by now, and if I could manage to pay bills and muster energy to grab sandwich supplies at a grocery store, I could sleep alone in a house without feeling like the boogeyman was after me and calling Robin to feel better.

I close my eyes.  I'm safe and warm. My limbs are heavy. I'm safe. I'm safe. I'm safe.

Ethan wasn't normally out at this time of night. He preferred to stay inconspicuous and being out at two in the morning was anything but. However, he was getting desperate. The trail of a hunter group he had been following farther southeast had gone cold, and he needed a new lead. The journal his dad had given him had mentioned a mafia group made up of pure blood wolves in the big city nearby. The journal made it very clear that the mafia was dangerous, so Ethan wanted to be sure to stay as far away from them as possible. He had found himself in a smaller town, Middlecrest, to the north. He had caught the scent of another wolf in the city and followed it into a seemingly quiet neighborhood. It seemed to be emanating from one particular house, so he summoned up the courage, went up to the front door and knocked.

I’m almost asleep when I hear it: three knocks downstairs.

My first thought: Someone is at the door. Someone had tracked my trail to this very house - the Svangalas maybe? But the Svangalas wouldn't have bothered to knock if they had business with me... The second possibility was it was someone I knew. But both Chapman and Robin would have at least called ahead if they arrived at a strange hour.

I'm wide-awake. The same breathless feeling steals over me. Like a mantra I chant it: I'm safe, I'm safe, I'm safe...

It was probably just the wind. A branch had gotten knocked against the house. And I'd imagined it was someone waiting at the door for me.  Close your eyes, sleep... I command myself. I try measuring my breath again, find the smell of lilac in the room, and the rattle of wind against the house. Except it doesn't work this time. All I can think is: There's someone at the door.

I groan. There won't be any more sleeping tonight. I rise myself from the slightly damp covers, peeling them away like the skin of an onion. I don't even stumble by the time my feet hit the floor: I'm perfectly awake.  I walk to the safe just under my night table, turn the dial for the combination, and retrieve the 9 mm I keep for just such an occasion.  I feel the comforting weight of the weapon, verify the safety is on, and set the already loaded clip down the handle.  I've never had to shoot it outside of a gun range. But it also isn't the first time I've grabbed it at a weird hour of the night to walk around the house and investigate a weird noise. The benefits of being me.

I exit the bedroom and walk across the hall to the door. I can feel a presence waiting just outside... or imagine one, besides. The wind makes it hard to hear or smell anything with great accuracy.  Still clutching the weapon with both hands, I squint through the peephole.

Ethan thought he heard someone moving behind the door.

Please let this be the right house, he thought.

The last thing he wanted was some random person calling the police on him. He definitely didn't want to deal with that right now.

Should I say something? Would that freak them out even more? Some weirdo knocking at two am. Maybe I should just go.

The problem was that he needed this to be the right place. He needed a lead, even if it was just a slim one.

Here goes nothing.

"Umm...hey. Uh, sorry to bother you at this time, but I'm from out of town. I might have the wrong house. Do you know anything about the last full moon?" he said carefully.

He hoped the full moon comment would come off as some kind of pass phrase to a normal person, never can be to careful these days.

I waited.  There was the rattle of the wind, the tension in my fingers, the measured pace of my breathing.  If there was no danger, I'd be holding it together by the narrowest cotton thread on an over-worn sweater. But right now, it was like my brain had just slipped into gear. This was my element. The tight wire rope where on either end was a precarious drop - but so long as you kept walking steady, so long as you didn't flinch, you might just make it across.

Or to say another way: your therapist will tell you constantly looking for exit plans and drafting battle plans is a maladaptive coping strategy. Because chances are, 9 times out of 10, you just run yourself ragged over nothing. Except let's say you're me, and 1 times out of 10, there is a boogeyman on the other side of the door, then suddenly it's the only thing keeping you alive.

I click the safety off. Someone says full-moon and I don't know who you are - guess what, I'm going to assume you're the mafia at my door or a hunter snooping for a fresh pelt. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's always that 1 time out of 10. And 9 times out of 10, this guy's drunk at the wrong hour.

"It's two in the morning," I growl, "You're disrupting the peace. Go home and sober up".

This guy was definitely agitated. Ethan had to be careful here. But now that they were right on the other side of the door, he could smell he was in the right place.

"I'm not trying to cause any trouble here, and I'm not drunk", Ethan said, hoping to pacify whoever was behind the door.

"I know this is a bad time, but I'm a bit desperate right now. I need some help and I don't have many other options. Look, I'll be honest. I'm not a hunter, but I am looking for one. Nasty piece of work by the name of Steele. I figure a wolf in this area might have run into him a time or two. I need to ask him a few questions, whether he wants to answer them or not."

If this doesn't work, I might have to get out of here fast. 

Ethan started to slowly back away from the door in case a hasty retreat would be necessary.

I almost squeeze the trigger at the sound of his name. Of all things I'd been expecting, it wasn't that.  At the last second I catch myself and steady my hands, till it feels like the now-warmed metal has melted with my skin.  Steady.

The wind has died down some. Enough that I can start to utilize my senses, and confirm his words to his smell. Werewolf.

That does little to soothe my nerves. Both humans and werewolves had done plenty to me.  Turns out, it doesn't matter what skin or blood you wear: you can be just as nasty in either.  He says it all so casually at 2 am, like we're all o'l wolfy pals part of the same club, but I know the truth. He could just as easily be a hunter and a werewolf. The two aren't mutually exclusive categories. There's plenty who'd turned against their own, whether by threat or promise of some prize at the end. Even if they were held on a leash, that wouldn't stop a dog from brutally turning against his own.

It was an old trick. A dirty trick. I didn't take my hand off the trigger. But nor did I shoot.  Not until I knew more. Not until I figured out why he was asking about my old mentor five years after he'd been out of the field.

"What do you want with him?" I keep my voice and hands steady, even if my insides feel like they're turning to a sloshy ice, "And why do you need to know at exactly two in the morning?"

There had to be a way to phrase this without getting shut down, or shot. It definitely sounded like this guy knew Steele, but Ethan wasn't sure what side he was on. Could this werewolf be part of Steele's crew or maybe one of his victims? This was turning out to be a much more precarious situation than Ethan had planned.

"I told you. I need to ask him some questions. That's all."

He wasn't sure how much information he could share with this guy. Better to say too little than too much.

"Look, this is important, but I know this is a weird time. If you don't want to talk now, meet me at the diner down the road in the morning"

Seemed like the only option now was to wait and see if  this guy was even willing to talk. Ethan was hoping the crowded scene of the diner would make this guy more willing to talk. Less chance of an ambush from either side.

My skin starts to feel like it's crawling. It's that voice that tells me to pack up all my belongings tonight, change my name, and find another home 50 miles from here. It's the voice that's already sizing up what factions want to kill me and why - and acknowledging it doesn't matter if I'll be dead all the same.  It's that voice that dares me to pull the trigger to make the bad-man go away, and the same voice that tells me not to because his associates will find me all the faster from the sound.

But voices in your head are just voices.  They don't mean anything, unless you give them the power to.  I'm done running. I'd done it my first two lifetimes, and if this house was my hill to finally die on, I guess I'm good with it.  Every time you run, you leave a piece of yourself behind. One more time, and I'm not sure there would be any more pieces left of me.  Robin might be a few hours away, but I couldn't vanish on her - and Bob was a force unto himself if I thought I could skedaddle without his knowing.

Which only left one possibility: know exactly why this stranger had oddly specific questions at two in the morning, figure out who he was working for, and react accordingly. It was better to act more like a surgeon cutting necrotic tissue, less like you needed to burn the house down when you saw a spider.

I click the safety back on my gun. No need for any loose twitches making a mess of this situation any more than it already was.

"Fine," I reply. It's not ideal meeting him even at a diner - not when any of his good buddies could be around (and none of mine). And if he's Svangalas it's not like they could damage control a discussion gone sideways.  But if I wasn't running then I'd just have to take the risk.

"Mary Joe's diner, 8 am.  Here's the deal - my answers will be just as good as yours. If you're not being honest with me, don't expect I'll do the same. That's the deal, take it or leave it".

"You got a deal. Hope they have a good breakfast. I'll see you there. If I beat you there, and you can't sniff me out, just ask for Haven."

Finally, some results. And the answers he needed were only six hours away. It's not like the trail could get much colder at this point. He'd just have to catch a few hours of sleep out behind the diner to make sure he wasn't late. Giving out the fake name might not be the best way to start this off, but he couldn't risk any hunters getting wind of his real one.

Ethan started away from the house, keeping an eye on his surroundings, making sure no one was lurking out there to cause trouble. He didn't start really moving till he hit the end of the street, when he started booking it to the diner.

Ethan woke up to the sound of his alarm going off. He had ended up sleeping in the empty lot behind the diner, finding a quiet corner behind an old fridge someone had dumped there at some point. He looked at his watch. 7:15. Hopefully enough time to beat that guy here and finish a cup of coffee to finish waking himself up.

Walking into the diner, he took a seat at one of far end of the row of booths. He gave the name to waitress, mentioning that he was meeting someone here. Ordering a simple cup of coffee, he settled in to wait.

Page 1 of 3Next