Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

A Coat of Fresh Paint (E-SP RP8/9)

PreviousPage 2 of 11Next

Mae

"Well, then..." The old man said. He tilted his chin down and his white beard spread over his chest. He surveyed Robin's appearance with a pointed eye and said with a careful and oblique tone, "Miss Bluejay."
The name was in reference to the light blue coat the woman wore, or so the gentleman's gaze told. He asked for no other name to know her by.

"There was some service performed, I think, in our behalf. And, if I am not mistaken, you are one such benefactor. - Or ... am I mistaken?" The old gentleman leveled his eyes at Robin, his gaze warning: Flattery refused is better than kindness used by one seeking dishonest advantage. At the same moment, however, one could not help but be reminded of the precarious revelation announced at the man's arrival: Certainly there were werewolf bodyguards around the corners of the hall, and Betas and Gammas of the Svalnaglas clan were in the next room over. A careful weighing of advantages was indeed in order.

Addie

Robin slowly drew in a long, deep breath as the old gentleman looked her over, and released it just the same. Miss Bluejay-she wondered at first if it was a coincidence or if he was hinting at knowing more about her than he let on. Upon further inspection, she discerned it was merely due to her coat. Nonetheless, the irony was almost painful.

"No, sir. That is so." she paused, only speaking again when she had considered the implications of her next words, and only when she was not going to interrupt the man.

"I have a child," she inclined her head towards Josh briefly, "About his age. I would hope that she would be afforded the same care, had it been her." she explained, her tone even, just an octave below a normal speaking voice.

Mae

Irony can play many purposes, for as it passed through Robin's mind the old gentleman's countenance changed as well; a change undetectable in his expression, yet it came with a strange feeling, as if nothing needed to be said for the gentleman to read her thoughts. But he never said anything to even suggest such a thing.

"That is kind of you." The man replied. "Gun violence is so common among our young people today. Every parent hopes for a good Samaritan to watch over their child."

"I'm sure your daughter is well looked after, so it is unlikely we will be able to repay in kind. You will have to let us come up with some other way to repay your kindness."
The old gentleman bent forward and used his cane to stand up. "What do you think, Yosir?"

Kaqurei

Josh had found a nice darkish speck on the floor to focus on. With his shoulders sagging and head low, it might have even appeared that he had fallen asleep. But he did not miss a beat, didn't startle, didn't jump, when the strange gentleman asked his question. Instead, gazing still solemnly at the floor, he said with as much seriousness as sincerity, "A nice note."

Mae

"That is a good idea." The old gentleman said with a serious expression, approving of the young man's suggestion if for no other reason than for the boy's own sake. "I'm sure Beta Raggadae will also be pleased to host us for the evening, as he will want to thank your good Samaritan personally."

The old gentleman looked at Robin to see how she would receive it.

Addie

Robin seemed mostly stoic, somewhat appreciative- offering a small smile at Josh's gesture - until the old fellow spoke again.

"Uhm," she stuttered for the first time, then looked apologetically towards the ground, before slowly raising her eyes to again meet the Crimson Man. The air in the room had gone stale, and she need only glance to her hands to confirm that the tremble she thought she felt growing in them had become visible. The woman clasped her hands within each other and rested them decidedly in front of her torso.

"Sir," she inclined her head slightly, "I mean no disrespect, truly.. however-you know there were many other hands that were joined in saving this child, and I wouldn't feel right in myself to be the only one to receive any act of thanksgiving from you or yours."

Mae

The man gave no acknowledgement to the trembling in Robin's limbs, whether he knew of it or otherwise.

"You're right." He agreed, "Very rarely a single pair of hands can work a miracle. However, few others are here to merit thanks. Accept therefore our gratitude as though on behalf of all those who rendered service. You will find the Betas gracious to those whom they feel largely indebted."

Addie

Robin must have expected such a response, and when it came she was silent for a long while, her dark, tired eyelids sliding over her weary eyes and resting there for some time. It was as though a lantern had been snuffed out, for against her dim features there was nothing else to offer such a contrast. Even the tie around her forehead had faded-once a bright orange, it was now a pale hue of clay brown.

"Very well," she spoke again, and added, her voice solemn, "Thank you."

Indy

He'd been parked in the parking lot for hours. A single dark umber eye watched the hospital building warily, as though anticipating it to burst into flames at any moment.

He knew what Robin would think of him coming. She'd made no reference to her leaving and had done so at a time and place she must have thought he might not notice. But he was nothing if not watchful, and beyond that, rather knowledgeable on where she would be inclined to go. It had not taken him long to track her to the hospital building... and yet he'd not gone further than the parking lot.

She wanted to be alone and he was inclined to let her have it. Rescuing the stranger had never been his first priority, although her safety was. If it gave her closure to see him recovering, and the peace to never see him again, then so be it. He didn't need the credit nor the thanks.

Yet something in the air near imperceptibly changed. The building still seemed sleepy in that early hour, still as silent as when he first watched it, yet now it was different. Danger, perhaps? He contemplated that. Undoubtedly it was danger. But fate was always creative in its flavor. He need act carefully now if he was to be of any help rather than hinderance...

A man exited a small white Chevvy sedan. He was neither unremarkably tall nor short. His blond hair was pulled simply into a short ponytail at the nape of his neck, and his beard and mustache were likewise neatly groomed. Perhaps in another life he might have been an unremarkable young man. Yet fate had not been so to him. The morning light revealed the many scares on his bare, lightly tanned arms; a few more seemed to continue beyond his grey T-shirt. Perhaps his most impressive scar was the jagged one that ran from the top of his left brow to the top of his cheek. Yet most striking of all was the single eyepatch on his right eye. He glared at the building, contemplated it once more, before shifting away from the face nearest to where Josh recovered. He skirted the outside of the building, casually yet with great care, his position now downwind.

Addie

He was motionless. The only sign of life in the room-a dim red glow at the end of a cigarette, that with the occasional flick of a finger, sprawled out in a burst of red in every direction before fading into darkness.

His hand never left her side, his only companion in the dark, empty space. He sat on a chair, shirtless, bandages across his torso. He was leaning forward, one arm rested on his leg, the hand holding vice itself dangled loosely over a knee. The other hand rested steadfast on her; a precision rifle aimed meticulously into the hospital room Josh occupied.

Cold blue eyes were framed by dark circles and locks of choppy, wavy brown hair sprawled senselessly in every direction in what could only be described as an unruly mess with no respect for gravity of the laws of physics.

"Fly home, Robin.." his voice was tired and ashy like the stump he held between his fingers, unaware that had it burned to a butt until it gnawed at his flesh. He glanced down in a nonchalant fashion and dropped it, crushing it beneath a shoe. A graveyard of matching objects littered the area around his feet.

The coffee cup on the table next to him had long since earlier been reduced to dredges and he glanced at it longingly with a weary sigh, before returning his eyes on his focus. Until a movement down below caught his attention.

"Tin Man to Dorothy... do you copy? I need eyes on the south wing-movement at ground level and moving east along the hospital wall." he spoke into a walkie, moving his scope to get a better visual of the figure.

PreviousPage 2 of 11Next