Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Following an Echo (CA - Inuksuk)

PreviousPage 2 of 2

No reply came, but it did not stop him from trying. Weather by the laws of men or no, no land on earth was unclaimed. Beyond the mountains were the cities and suburbs. Naturally he had passed by many smaller towns in his travels, however he kept to the fields and mountains and left a wide girth around them. Still they were more scarce further in the north, and in many places there were no towns for hundreds of miles.

He did not believe Logan would enter the cities. She enjoyed the silence, and unless there was something on her mind, she could exist in it for long stretches without feeling compelled to break it. When all the wood was cut, when there was no meat to process, when the villagers did not ask for her help with any task, she rested in silence.

Inuksuk had observed as she watched birds gather fluff for their nests, or waited patiently for the family of foxes to emerge from their dens. In the warm months she could rest deeply among the aspen and spruce and not fear the bear or wolf. She did not resist the passage of time or the changing of season, and thus time seemed to move slowly in her presence.

That is to say, not all moments with Logan were silent. She would return a challenge whether made seriously or in fun, and was not keen on losing. She was proud and did not appreciate being underestimated or doubted to any degree, and would make her feelings known.

It was a good thing, because that same enduring pride would keep her alive when any other man might have been crushed under either or both despair and the elements.

Now having come over the crest of the first mountain, the span of the Phantom Mountain range was spread about the horizon. There was a valley before him.

With the morning sun rising in the east of the valley, and the mists that rose up from the rivers and streams, the blue peaks on the other side were a hazy silhouette and the forest below him a white blanket from which those great white and black spotted giants poking out from the mist.

Inuksuk exhaled and a cloud formed before his mouth and nostrils. Inuksuk recognized the species of tree, for the same ones grew even in the far reaches of the north. As a boy had often played in the aspen forests on the eastern side of his territory. It brought back fond memories, and this morning, though not particularly warm, brought some strange comfort that inspired the man to further believe he was close to rest.

Again he called out in a beautiful voice.

"I have come to the white forest on the north of the mountain. I approach a friend to those who will have my companionship. I seek my companion." 

He adjusted the straps of the sled around his shoulders and pressed forward to descend into the forest below. The coat of thick fur was kicked away from his knees with every step, the hood cast off and his brown hair nearly gold in the light of the morning sun.

Inuksuk did go into the forest in silence. Not keen to conceal his presence from predator nor prey, he continued to sing out in the language of his pack, with a voice that belonged to neither man nor beast, and again he beat the frame drum with a steady rhythm.

In the spring, I play; the fox is my friend, I watch the caribou
The eagle gives me a feather, the feather I give to my mother,
My mother makes me a wing

In the summer I search, the sun is my friend, I watch the caribou
The fox gives me her winter fur, the fur I give to my sister,
My sister makes me a tail

In the autumn I rest, the moon is my friend, I follow the caribou
The eagle gives me a feather, the feather I give to my brother,
My brother makes me a wing

In the winter I hunt, the wolf is my friend, I hunt the caribou
My father gives me his bow, the arrow I will use on the caribou
For my family, I will make a meal

In the winter, the wolf hunts the caribou, the wolf finds me,

"Trade me your caribou for four paws, that will take you quickly to your hunt,"
"Trade me your wings for many teeth, that will quickly end your hunt,"

In the spring, I run, the fox fears my claws, I watch the caribou
In the summer, I run, my brother fears my teeth, I watch the caribou
In the autumn I run, my mother fears my fur, I follow the caribou
In the winter, I run, my father fears my strength, I hunt the caribou
I am the wolf, the wolf is me; the wolf a man is now set free

The moon is my friend
I hunt the caribou

As the day gave way to night, and the forest that was once white and gold became blue and empty, Inuksuk felt a weariness come over him. Although he was not inclined to rest, he no longer sang out.

He had suspected this place to be significant since he came over the crest of the valley on the northermost side, and now felt all the more the need for reverence. Today, he did not stop to eat, and his sturdy back and legs withstood the constant movement without complaint, but their job was not yet done. The mountain would not be much further.

In spite of his feelings, Inuksuk did stop. It would not be for long, but he could not ignore the small, fast heartbeat and the smell that so often accompanied stress and imminent death.

He let down the straps of his sled, seeking the source of the anguish, and quickly coming upon it; a young hare, undoubtedly injured by a hawk or an owl, that had not escaped his fate entirely.

He moved gently towards it and took it up softly into his coat. He sat cross legged and it stayed in the hollow between his legs, being warmed. A gentle hum filled the air but Inuksuk did not open his mouth, it stayed in his throat and yet the vibrations could be felt in the atmosphere around him.

The creatures heartbeat slowed, and it relaxed. Shortly thereafter, it gave up it’s will to stay in the mortal world.

A quick death would have served the same purpose. However, even when hunting, Inuksuk would see to it the creature that he hunted was killed before it sensed it was in danger. He was taught from a young age that souls dying in fear and agony would run off the edge of the world of spirits, and into a place where only eternal sleep existed, devoid of images and warmth. Though it was his job to hunt and defend, he did not seek to end life cruelly, for all living things-even the rivers and trees-had spirits deserving of respect.

The rabbit was buried at the white trunk of one of the many trees. His resting place was marked with small stones stacked delicately. A small fire made up in a hole of dry leaves and kindling was lit and burned only for a moment, and the likeness of a rabbit jumping towards a sun was painted in ash on the white tree just above the small grave.

Inuksuk continued on his journey.

Day turned into night and the warrior did not stop, though his feet were tired. He came to the base of the mountain, and had spent a great deal of time planning his ascent. There was no path that would be easy, and yet his countenance was resolved and his will was enduring.

The sled was lifted so that it's smooth bottom put against Inuksuk's back, and he used straps intended for the purpose to fasten it to his back like a pack. The extra weight behind him meant he would need to be all the more careful, and he had removed his gloves and boots for better gripping the mountain. He left the soft moss covered earth for the ice cold stone, and began the more treacherous part of his journey.

For all of Inuksuk's strength, there was not one part of his body that did not tremble when he reached his first place of rest on the mountain. The earth was uneasy in places. He noted evidence of a landslide in more than one place, and henceforth treated every stone as if it would give away beneath him. Where he stopped, the ground was scarcely level enough that he could rest.

He ate, closed his eyes but for a short while, and regained his strength.

When he continued again some time later, he went on four legs, not as a man, and donned a different coat now. He still wore the trousers of thick fur, but was shirtless.

The cold that came on in the evening was a relief, for by the time Inuksuk had crested the mountain and found some level place on the south side of it's peaks to camp for the night, there was not one part of his form that wasn't drenched in sweat. He put his clothes out to dry, wearing only a light cotton pant with a blanket for warmth. He ate and did not light a fire or sing for his weariness, and then slept and dreamed.

When Liam awoke early the next morning, he was refreshed and in better spirits.

And yet...

It wouldn't take much time to realize that all of the scents of the autumn morning were dull, and at times altogether gone. In spite of the coming daylight, he felt disoriented and confused - and had to retrace the nights steps to reorient himself. What was more-when he once again found the direction he was going, he could not find a path by which to descend safely. He had come over the crest to a dead end out of sheer will, and would now have to return over it again to find a safe passage. To be so nearly through the last great obstacle, and yet unable to conquer it, was a discouraging way to begin the day.

He would not be overcome! Too invigorated by full moon to let it draw him into despair, he once again took on the form of a wolf and attempted again to find a way over the treacherous mountain...

Closed - Continued in How the Mountain Greets the Moon

PreviousPage 2 of 2