Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Sunflowers and Moonmonsters

PreviousPage 5 of 22Next

Charlie didn't see any evidence for Robin's claim. He continued to sit at the table for a minute looking unconvinced. Then he quietly set his hands down and ooched off his chair. Even if she wasn't awake, he wanted to go see her.

The last few days had been hard for Charlie. He understood nothing of it. That his mother was unable to care for him scared him, but he had been through it before. This time, he found love and comfort from another mothering figure, and he clung to that love as if his life depended on it.

The first thing Mercy became aware of after the light was a ringing in her ears. When she lifted her head, the room danced and pain split through her head. She quickly returned to her previous position and lay still. Her heart was racing again. The ringing in her ears continued. Were there birds outside? All at once it seemed the sounds were echoing far away and simultaneously right against the window.

Charlie faced the direction where his mother was. He held his hands together. Then he looked at Robin. Then he looked back again. He didn't seem very confident at all, but he started tip-toeing closer to the room.

"Watchu doin, kiddo? I'm telling ya, Momma's up."

I smiled down at Charlie and crouched down to his level. "We're gonna use our real quiet voices."

Now I walked past the boy and opened the door, peanut butter and jelly on a plate in my hand, and went in, setting the sandwich down on a nightstand quietly and looking over Mercy.

She had some color back in her face now, which was a sight for sore eyes. From this distance it was easy to tell that she was in far better health than she had been, but there were still obstacles yet to face.

"Good evening Momma bear. You made it."

Mercy turned over as Robin entered the room. She supported her head with the back of her hand and winced as well she may to see the little boy who followed at the heel.

Charlie tottered into the room behind Robin, and no sooner saw the color in Mercy's eyes than he scurried over to her bedside.
"Charlie..." Mercy whispered.  At his summons to her arms she instinctively reached for him. At his touch, however, she flinched. Her skin was sore and her muscles still ached, yet she grabbed him and pulled him up onto the bed. Charlie ducked down like a little turtle in response and curled up next to her bosom. There he remained, wrapped in arms that refused to give him up.

Nonetheless, Mercy trembled. Every inch of her body was tired. Every sound split her head. Charlie, though his base scent was one part pleasing, stank like his father and smelled of laundry, soaps, and other substances that had never bothered her before. Robin also had a smell, which Mercy was now noticing for the first time. More than the smell of her clothes, furniture, and dogs, which were all carried on her person, Robin's smell enhanced her character in a way Mercy couldn't describe. For some reason, she was a much more interesting person now.

"I feel so sick..." Mercy muttered after a moment.

“The worst is over,” for now, ”unfortunately, you’re going to feel that way for a little while still.”

I took the lid off the pitcher on her nightstand and poured a glass of water, “I’m gonna help you sit up, you need to drink.”

My voice was low, and I spoke as softly as I might. Already I was arranging pillows behind her, and held my arm in front so she could hoist herself up, while preparing with the other to help shimmy Charlie.

Mercy followed Robin's guiding hand, but did not relent her protective hold on Charlie. Charlie seemed ignorant of it.

If the onset of the fever felt like glass in her marrow, than the break of it left shards all throughout. Mercy's heart pounded with the effort to sit upright and she grimaced. Charlie noticed it and sat up to help, if only in a small way, by holding her cheeks in his hands. Those little hands brought tears to Mercy's eyes as she looked at his brows, knit with concern for her. She could not bear his touch, but she could not desert his gaze either. So, she clasped both his hands in hers, gave them a soft kiss, and gently tucked him withal into the blanket beside her - well coddled and purposefully cushioned.

Mercy took the cup with a trembling hand, drank, and returned it.
"You're right." She said. "It's worse than the flu... "

Charlie vanished under the blanket, all except his bum. A moment later his face reemerged, wrapped with the blanket over his head and pinched under his chin. He was grinning from ear to ear.

I grinned down at Charlie, then looked more  solemnly on at Mercy.

“Stay in bed. I’m gonna make something up for you, and I need you to eat. We gotta get your strength back..”

There wasn’t a lot of time for her to recover between now and Tuesday. And I still needed someone to stay with Charlie overnight-someone without fur, maybe who knew about us. Female preferred.

A babysitter?

Yeah, I needed a babysitter. Cept, I wasn’t sure how to advertise that. “Female babysitter wanted overnight, mysterious cabin in the middle of nowhere” sounded awfully suspicious.

Mercy consented without a word. When Robin left the room, Mercy settled her back against the pillows and let the weight in her head fall to her stomach. No doubt, now. All she wished to deny was true. If she could but only sink into the bed and let all the fears of the future and malice for the past whisk her away, heart and soul forever, never to be found, then she would be happy. Happy in nonexistence.

'You could have been happy.' She thought to herself. 'If you didn't play this game.' A game for someone else to play. He invited her in. He knew it all. He invited her in and her son too. How was she to know a few shots at a carnival and a handsome face would lead her to such misery? Oh, how she hated him now.

Mercy winced as the pit in her stomach got worse. Then she looked down and saw that round white face poking out of the blanket at her.
"What?" She said, "What are you grinning at?"

Charlie made a face and hid in the blanket, only to reappear a second later.

"What is it?" Mercy asked again, one part suspicious and the other part amused. A smile broke through. Charlie giggled to see it. His little white teeth shown. He repeated the action of hiding in the blanket and popping out again.
"What are you smiling about?" Mercy poked him in the tummy, gentle enough for both of them. Charlie broke into a hearty laugh! Mercy laughed too, it was painful. But she poked him again to get the same belly-full giggles and laughed despite the pain.

"Little imp." She concluded and looked at him seriously. "You're just happy to see momma, huh?"
Charlie's giggles subsided and with a content smile he curled beside her. Mercy tucked him in beside her good leg and pulled the blanket over her shoulders. She waited for Robin to return.

I took a bag of frozen beef and barley stew out from the freezer and dropped it in a pot on the stove to heat. Then toasted bread. It wouldnt take long for the portion to thaw, so I rested my palms on either side of the stovetop and let my thoughts run until the stew bubbled and the warm steam with all its aromas hit my face.

Everything was plated and trayed up.

“There’s more where this come from.” Propping the tray up on its legs around Mercy’s waist, I stepped back and crossed my arms.

“There are some logistics to figure out in a bit… but enjoy your son’s company and eat. It can wait a little while yet. I’m gonna go check on the goats. Just holler. I’ll hear ya.”

I closed the door softly behind me as I walked out of the room. I felt heavy, all over, inside and out-like a hundred sandbags hung from my soul and arms.

This is what I'd agree to do in trade for this little haven, and I knew it my heart of hearts it was where I was meant to be. It didn't make it easier. The good Lord always gave you what you can handle, and when He made me, He didn't skimp on the strength and will, and provided twice that in faith.

Nevertheless, it pained me to know that someone was still looking to hurt Momma and her baby. That he was likely up in those mountains, probably hunting those kids down tryna find her.

The moon was also looming overhead. I had some ideas of what to do, but I needed to get Momma away from baby. Or at least that was my instinct. My instinct as a mother told me otherwise.

I didn't have all the answers.

I walked over the phone by the door and picked it up. It was oldschool-like oldschool. No caller ID.

The wired ones were reliable out here, the wireless ones could be hit and miss. I picked it up and stared down at a phone number I'd scribbled on a piece of paper below it. Then carried it outside, letting the door close over the cable and dialing in the number.

It probably didn't work.

Bob thought it might only be a one-way number, and wasn't sure the number was even right. Or if anyone would answer even if it did ring. Chances are, they were waiting out the moon further up, away from the prying eyes of the townspeople and hunters. After all, last time I'd been up there-they were in all manners of mess. I tried not to remember that boy-the one I'd followed back home, against my better judgement-looking like a swiss cheese on their table.

I waited for the line to ring and let my head hang while I leaned on the post of the porch.

No answer came to the line... the ringing went on.

Mercy, meanwhile, with her small boy beside her, emptied the bowl of beef and broth in short order. The rate at which she consumed it caused Charlie to sit upright, the blanket falling off him. Mercy was peckish at best. Her engagement in this dish was a peculiar thing to Charlie, who noted her investment and opened his mouth to receive of the bounty. It did not meet with his approval, but he asked for another bite just to be certain. Mercy accommodated him. When he was satisfied that beef and broth were not to his liking, he laid on his belly and carefully slipped off the bed. He wouldn't be left out at meal time, and thankfully there were jelly sandwiches within his reach.

PreviousPage 5 of 22Next