Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Searching for Something (CA - Saber)

PreviousPage 12 of 12

Courtney grinned at Albert and nodded his head toward him.
"That's your bis, Al." He said, plucking a glass off the bar table.

Albert smiled at the young man in a reserved sort of way. He adjusted his collar slightly and extended his hand to the fellow.
"What's your name?" Albert said. "Perhaps I can help you find something you might like doing."

Sabers attention easily shifted over to Albert.  With a steady gaze and a sturdy grip, he shook Albert's hand. " My name's Zhihao." Saber pronounced the name in near perfect chinese, unable to stop the small smirk growing on his lips as he spoke.

Albert took "Zhihao's" hand with a square smile and a tentative grip. He shook briefly and returned his hand to the bar table.

"Well then," He said. "I see that you're from out of town. Resident of Pinerich, or just passing through?"

Courtney watched the interaction with a jolly smile as he cleaned out the little shotglass with his white linen. Just then, a beautifully slender woman with an almost perfectly spherical center peeked over his shoulder.
"Courtney," the woman said softly. The robust bartender swiveled on his heel at the sound of her voice. "Would you help me with this?"

"Of course, Amelia!" The bartender replied. "Excuse me, Al."
Then both the bartender and his wife vanished around the corner.

Meanwhile, others had taken notice of "Zhihao" and his perfect use of a foreign language. While the two men - Albert Rich's previous company - stood at the bar table nearby talking to one another, the other two men leaning on the wall glanced over.

" Just passing through," Saber answered.
The brief interaction of Courtney and his wife easily took Saber's attention albeit for a moment, but was quickly returned back to Albert.
" I'm looking for a job I can take for a couple months, maybe even a year. Do you know anyone who could use a temp worker that long? I can do just about anything."

"Well, the office is closed for tonight, so I can't see what openings are available just now." Albert said in his business way. "But come and see me at Town Hall tomorrow morning. The mountain ranchers are always hiring for hands. We'll find you some work."

" Alright, I will. Thank you." Saber gave a small polite nod, his small smirk never seeming to fade.

As the night slowly drew on, Saber continued to make small talk with Albert and a few others at the tavern. He was well aware his presence drew attention, but it was something that could not be helped. He was Asian in a land full of Americans. He always stuck out. Eventually one must accept what one cannot control or else be miserable the rest of their lives. Saber had accepted his fate a long time ago.

As time passed, Saber eventually became aware of his body's declining alertness and soon retired for the night. The next days activities would mark the start of a vastly different routine from the prior week he spent in Reknab Bend; His direction had changed.

PreviousPage 12 of 12