Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Lily of the Valley (CA - Silas)

Page 1 of 11Next

This roleplay begins on September 7th, a day following Afterthought. This roleplay spans the time of two weeks while Silas recovers from his fatigue driven stupor and goes through physical therapy for the bullets taken in A Time for Questions and Answers. The roleplay follows into September 20th, passing over the full moon for September.

A day had come and gone since I left the mountain. When I had gone in it was dark, and upon leaving it was dawn. After taking my charge to his temporary home and waiting on some diagnostics, I turned around as the sun was setting again.

I probably should have gone home. Something told me not to, but that might have been my own fear of self. Everything is nerve shattering when you haven't slept in about seventy two hours, and I think I was starting to feel too much like my perception of the willowy man I left behind.

The road was long, longer when you see and hear things that aren't there, you make up an eighteen wheeler coming at you and almost swerve off the road for example. That's a fun new thing my brain did.

I don't know why I drove here; it was the equivalent of sleeping in a shark cage. The only comfort is knowing that you know where the monsters are, even if it means they're circling close.

But here is where I found myself - in Baltronan's foyer. My eyes dragged to a grandfather clock, and although the numbers and hands didn't quite make sense, I got the idea that it was late, or early, depending on perspective. The next thing I saw was the bench at the grand piano, and I found my way over to it with all the grace of a homeless vagrant. Some kind of coat or jacket was given to me earlier but I had lost it - well, dropped it on the floor behind me, but absentmindedly kept walking.

The solid wood bench felt like a pillow, and the dust cover over the keys on the great piano felt like a cloud. I laid my head there and everything was instantly dark and soundless.

It was precisely seven o'clock in the afternoon.
A humble little clock kept time on the nightstand by the bed. The bed itself was very nice, firmly fitted, and handsomely covered. A quaint square rug sat on the floor just beside it. The room was quiet, comfortable, and empty save for the solitary presence of the bed's occupant.

"Can you hear me?"

"I'm down here."

"Are you alright?"

"Where are you? Hurry..."

I stood on solid stone, but there were voices below it. Two or three... Tiffany, certainly-I didn't recognize the others. I was looking for the dynamite, maybe I could break through.

"Someones coming."

There was that deep seated feeling of dread that washes over you, to the marrow of your bones, until you feel like you can't move or act.  I couldn't, I was frozen in place by it, my feet seemed like cinder-blocks. I could hear my heart in my ears.

Then gunshots.

My mind woke up, but my body didn't. Everything seemed glued to the bed-my mind was telling my fingers to move but the connection was cut. My eyes darted around for someone else, but I didn't recognize the place - maybe it was a dream inside of a dream.

"Hello,"

I tried to say, but I don't know if the words reached my lips. My fingers still wouldn't respond. Panic was starting to settle in. Did I see something move? Was I drugged?

"Help," I asked, maybe to myself. I thought I felt my lips move, and I thought I heard my own voice - but it was hard to trust my thoughts. I could feel my muscles trembling against the paralysis. If I closed my eyes I'd fall asleep and succumb to it for a while longer, but how could I sleep? There were shadows lurking all around.

My heart beat faster and my mind convinced me, I was definitely going to die.

"Help!"

The door opened. The placidness of the room was disturbed.

Chester sat in a dark corner by himself. He was hunched over a small table with a hanging desk lamp lighting his face. Besides a faithful ticking in the background, and the quiet turning of the pages in his hand, no other sound was present. Nothing else was happening.

But something disturbed Chester's reading. He stood up, left his book open on the table, went into the next room, and found that his instinct was correct: Things were not as they should be in the little bedroom over.

Chester entered the room, hearing Silas' heart pounding and his breathing paced. He went to Silas' bedside and placed a soft hand on his shoulder.

My whole body shuddered to wakefulness and I felt myself gasp as if I had been drowning. I sat up against the headboard and looked around the room, at the clock, at the man. I felt sweaty-not mildly dewy but really, drenched. The panic however seemed dispelled with the moment I realized I wasn't trapped inside my own body.

My eyes didn't wake up as fast as my mouth did and maybe I wasn't sure what time it was so I guessed,

"Gmorning," I murmured, uncertain of what to say, but trying to be polite. I sucked in another breath of air and leaned my head back, shivering. "Do you know where Diane is?" I asked, looking for a phone in the room.

Chester was a broad man within an elongated frame, tall and strongly built. The mark of the Svalnaglas was borne on his face in this form as on the other. When Silas woke and sat himself upright, Chester stepped out of the room. He returned with a clear glass of water from the bathroom sink extended in his large wide hand.

"Here," he said. His voice was deep and husky. "Drink."

As to Silas' question, no answer was immediately given.

No thank you didn't seem like an option when speaking to a man who looks like he once broke a mans leg with a pinky finger. I tried to remember what the mark on his face meant as I chugged down the water. It had that taste of sickness- warm and unsatisfying, and made me aware of how dry my throat was.

"How long was I asleep?... I need clothes... who are you again? I need to find Diane."

I wasn't sure what help Diane would be. I had to ask her what she knew about the hunters in the mountain, about Tiffany, what to do. Maybe I would leave out some details, like the woman who was supposedly taken by a big black wolf. I needed the help of at least one functioning mind.

"Acanthus." He replied. His voice was empty but it was the only question he answered immediately.

When Silas finished, Chester (or Acanthus as he must now be known) took the glass back to the bathroom.

The marks on Acanthus' face were like whip-stripes, each running in different directions and crisscrossing at different points. One such point was at the bridge of his nose, another was at the corner of his eye, and still many other small exes covered his face. It was a unique mark, unlike any other, yet if one was careful to note the number and thickness of each line, one might see a semblance to that of one Jodecai.

"You have been sleeping for a day and a half." Acanthus said. He dwarfed a small wooden chair as he sat down against the wall. His passionless husky voice moved the silence once again. "You were drugged so you could sleep well."

"A day and a half... ain't that a dandy..." that explained the dream about the scorpion on my arm. I glanced to the pinpoint and shuddered inwardly. Glad I was on their side. I'd still be sleeping if I wasn't.

"Are you a bodyguard?" I asked, now slipping off the bed and to my feet. I felt my heart lurch into my throat at the sudden movement, and gravity seemed to attack out of nowhere - I fell into the nightstand and the lamp on it went tumbling down, cracking. "Oops... uh.. take that out of my celery... sal-ar-ee. Freudian slip."

Words were hard and my muscles were clearly still waking up. But I had things to be and places to do.

I straightened and ran a hand back through my hair, moving into the bathroom. "I need a mens button up and some slacks.. and," I looked into the mirror. The bags were mostly gone but, "I look pale..." then, with the sink as my witness, I knew why. Acanthus undoubtedly heard the lovely melody. I turned the faucet on and rinsed my mouth under it for a while, but the sink would never be the same. Thankfully not eating makes for a cleaner uneating. But the water felt cool and good on my face, so maybe I'd just stay over the nice cold hard porcelain basin for a while. What a productive day.

"Acanthus huh..." I gurgled through water that still ran over my mouth, my head turned sideways towards the door. "That's a plant... a very, strong, manly plant..." I sputtered. "Acanthus, is there a phone?"

Acanthus leapt to catch the lamp too late. He collected it off the floor and set it to right, cracks and all, though now quite out of the way of another spill. He then said nothing while Silas was turned away.

"You have not been good to yourself, Actaeon." A man's voice replied, but it was not Acanthus that answered.

The blue suit that stood in the doorway, hands lightly folded behind, could belong to only one person. For of all the Svalnalgas betas, only one of them strayed from the clan's crimson red.

"I do not wish to move upon erroneous assumptions," said Balthazar Baltronan. "But it seems a shame to see a man reinvent himself only to throw himself away. I made a better investment than that."

Page 1 of 11Next