Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Lily of the Valley (CA - Silas)

PreviousPage 2 of 11Next

I felt my proverbial tail slip between my legs-just as I had gone to sit on the bed, I was pulled back into a stand out of respect for the voice that entered.

"Beta Baltronan," I inclined my head, and then opted to sit in spite of his presence because my knees were threatening to give out beneath me.

"I assure you, I'll be fine-you'll have your ROI." I cringed inwardly, unsure of how that was going to happen; since the same incident that nearly took Josh and had put Diane down for what seemed like forever, I had yet to recover all the same, and kept putting new strains on top of it. I felt weak and jittery all the way into the marrow of my bones. and it was all my starving heart could do to keep pumping.

However, I still had some time to return to the mountains and deal with the hunters. If I used each day wisely enough I may be able to recover in time to go back and have my hide served to me on a platter again.

"Give me one day and I'll be right as rain."

Beta Baltronan entered the room and placed his hands in the pockets of his slacks. He turned as if interested in a painting that lately adorned the wall - a vortex of crimson spatterings on a thick three-inch frame.  Then the beta turned again, and looked at Silas. The brightness of Balthazar's blue eyes created a startling contrast to the crimson void in the background of his face.

"Actaeon," he said. "That is a unique name. Despite the tragedy of its original bearer, it is not now the name of a man on the run."

"That tradition; the tradition of renaming ourselves, began with the Founder Mávros Yiós. He took a new name and required his followers to do the same in noble symbolism of unity. Thus, it became a standard that when a man is renamed into this corporation his past is forgotten, and he is no longer a stranger, but a brother by blood."

"My ancestor, first beta to Mávros Yiós, took it upon himself to see that the blood of the alphas never ran thin. - (for when a werewolf's bloodline runs thin, the power of his heritage ceases with him; and his posterity loses the strength to take his second skin.) Thus, safeguarding our bloodline became the business of the Baltronans; that we have carried forth since the beginning."

Now, Balthazar took a turn about the room, stopping to gently reset the shards of glass in the lampshade.  "I'm disappointed that you have been treating your work with us like a business proposition." - And it is business, but it is never just business. "You are family; and we take care of our people. So, your leave of absence has been extended into a mandatory PTO. You will be watched after; by a group of proficient therapists and skilled physicians, until you are well enough to return to your employment."

"I am tired of seeing only half a man in the place of a trained analyst, professional marksmen, and beyond competent scientist." Balthazar spoke as he walked toward the door. "We'll see you again, Actaeon, in seven days; hopefully with some color in your face."

The door was closed behind him.

We take care of our people...
In seven days...

I felt whatever blood that remain in my face drain out after the Beta left.

The woman in the mountains, her child, Tiffany and her ally-I sacrificed four lives for one.

With the light almost faded outside, and the room already being so dark in absence of the lamps light, the walls felt cold and confining, like the walls of the cave. I could almost feel the dampness, smell the iron on the wall from where Atlas had dug his nails in. My eyes fell on the painting Baltronan had stood in front of moments ago, and just as quickly I looked away-it looked as though the crimson splatters had turned to liquid and it was running down the frame.

I thought I could hear footsteps, rhythmically, one after another, and although I couldn't tell where they were coming from, and although I was miles from the mountain, I saw Douglas' eyes, peering through the shadows.

One moment I identified the footsteps to be my own heart.

---- ---- ----

The next moment, I was in another day. Dreams had eluded my sleep. I looked at the clock; it showed nine AM, but I wasn't sure if I'd only slept through the previous night or many.

I slipped into the bathroom, finding a pair of clean slacks and a button up shirt. Also finding my face covered in unsightly fuzz. A shower and shave were in order, and I felt a little more man when I finished. The ends of my hair no longer sat flat, weighed down with grime, but regained their usually agitating curls at the ends, which I had to slick back with artifical grease to keep in place. Getting it cut to a shorter length would only incur it's wrath all the more, and it would be curly all over.

If I got better, faster, I might be able to shorten my stay.

Where were these physicians and therapists? A meal was in order; I felt like I was being propped up by toothpicks.

The room was exactly as it was the other night, with a few slight differences - most manifest in the smells of werewolves who had been in the room, though it was clear that there were times of substance administration as well. But the room was clean, despite the looming scents which manifested more clearly by the door - the most discernible trait of all was that which could only be identified by one familiar with it; the Blue Mark, which is a subtle fragrance the Baltronan fraction wear among all their classes.

Outside the room, detectable by keen ears, was the sound of hushed voices conversing.

"You know, I don't think that's how it works." - The person sounded like a woman, light of build but not high of tone.

"You don't like that?" - Another voice replied. This one was male but the voice was weightless and light.

"Well, look at it." The woman replied. She sounded bored and a bit muffled, as if she were speaking through clenched teeth.

"I can't believe you're judging me." The former male replied.

"I'm not judging you, but just - just look at it." The woman's voice sounded clearer and crisp just then. "It's not suppose to look like that. I thought you mix things for a living."

"Look, I'm not a nurse. It doesn't have to be exact."

"Keep your voice down, Cilix." The deep droll voice of Acanthus was impossible to mistake for anyone else. He sounded solemn and disinterested, and his voice came from the other side of the room from the former two.

I stopped and listened to the voices that were talking outside my door. The more I listened, the more disturbed I felt; there was something intrinsically disconcerting about hearing what sounded like the Godfather version of the Three Stooges arguing over a mysterious mixture that was undoubtedly intended for me.

As a "dilettante" biochemist, I felt a shudder creep over me. Exact was good. I liked exact.  What happened to my skilled physicians? I checked my arms for evidence of how many times I'd been poked with mysterious concoctions, and decided I didn't want to be poked anymore. How I was going to enforce that with the lovechild of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Michael Jordan looming overhead was another story entirely.

At that word from Acanthus, the other two voices became quiet. There must have been glances exchanged on the other side of the door, for despite the sudden silence, it seemed the communication continued... if only in feeling.

My skin crawled. It was the same kind of unassuring silence one heard (or didn’t) when a five year old had decimated an entire house in the span of a few minutes.

I stepped up to the door and tried the knob, then knocked.

”Hello? Anyone out there?”

The door was unlocked, the knob willing, the hinges taciturn.

In the next room, a woman with straight yellow hair was sitting cropped up on her knees over the back of a common grey couch. Her face was toward Silas, but her shoulders were turned toward a mini-bar behind the couch. Standing at the mini-bar, on the other side in a modest kitchenette, was a tall man with brown hair and an angular face. He was blending together some hash of ingredients into what appeared to be a muddy brown smoothie.

Across the room from the couch, in his own little corner with a square table and lamp, Acanthus sat silently. If not for his broad shoulders sticking out on either side of an upright newspaper, perhaps he would've been invisible...

Oh. The knob turns both ways, right. All of my teachers sure would be so proud of me. I gave myself some credit- after all, I was just attempting to relearn basics after coming out of what was essentially induced coma. Sheesh.

I opened the door and stepped out, half expecting to see three frizzy haired, white lab coat, oversized goggle wearing mad scientists hunkered over a beaker of glowing green liquid, foaming at the mouth. I was more or less disappointed to find that wasn’t the case.

Nonetheless, I attempted to muster up my best smile. Expressions felt weird and tight, and it might have looked like a grimace. Also, I couldn't tell but I'm pretty sure I had blinked with one eye each in turn. The world felt weird and hazey and I felt like a living Picasso.

"Good morning," I greeted. "What does a man have to do to get a little continental breakfast around here?"

"Oh, hahaha!" The woman laughed.
"Actually, we're going to start off with something a little lighter than that." She said, then gestured toward the man in the kitchen. "This is Phormis, he's your dietitian. And I'm your physical therapist Ophelia. We're quite the comedy between the two of us. If you ever want to talk to us outside familiar company, though, he's Gerald and I'm Sarah."

'Sarah' shrugged, feeling no real attachment to the name. Then she smiled largely and said, "It's good to see you up! Your doctors are out, (thankfully.) We finally prevailed on them to let you wake up. (We told them eating naturally is more healthy than tube-feeding.) But at least we're pretty sure you're well rested, now, right? ... And hydrated. Too."

While Ophelia talked, Phormis poured the unappealing sludge into three equal cups.
"Don't be shy," he said, inviting Silas out of the doorway. "Come on in."

"Yeah! We're all friends here." Ophelia said. "I'm told you already know Acanthus?" She turned her thumb out at the man in the corner.

PreviousPage 2 of 11Next