Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

What the Rain Forgot to Say (SP-RP 11) 2/1/2019 - 8/6/2019

PreviousPage 4 of 6Next

"To be honest," Jenn said, putting on an air that was all too reminiscent of a practicing nurse. "He looked beaten up when I first met him. He had a few bruises that improved each time I saw him, but he always appeared pretty pale and tired. I don't know if that's normal for him or not. But I did supply him with clean, fresh fruits and vegetables whenever I saw him. It's been pretty lucky, actually! He arrived in town around the farmer's market season, so there's been lots going around - and cheap too! I've even seen some people from out of town and Middlecrest stop by the markets. Reknab Bend gets pretty popular this time of year."

" Hmm... That's what I was afraid of.." Tito concluded quietly to himself, his brow knit with worry once more.

Jenn sat back and watched the rain roll down the windshield for a moment. She didn't know exactly what Tito meant, but she didn't press or pry either. When she last saw Saber, she felt confident he was one of those "loner types" that enjoyed managing for themselves. If Jenn were to judge the relationship, she believed Tito was the "parent-friend", but she never ruled out the possibility that there was something she just didn't see.

What Jenn did see, however, were swells of water on the road, filling the corners of the parking-lot, and flooding the storm-drains. It began to look more dangerous to be driving all the time, and Tito and Jenn hadn't even left the parking-lot. Would she be able to go home tonight?

"Oh, drat!" Jenn suddenly exclaimed. "I forgot to give Mabel a call!"

At that moment, the furry flood-survivor in the backseat cited its demands for a more secure climate with a loud and obnoxious "Meow!"

Whatever thought Tito was in the middle of was abruptly interrupted by Jenn's voice yet again. He looked over at Jenn as she now was examining her soaked phone before hearing the cat protesting at the ordeal it had found itself in. Tito finally stared at the rain and saw it and the ever rising waters on the roads and gutters for what seemed like the first time. He needed to focus. Whether Saber was dead or not Tito needed to get back to reality and his current situation, quietly reminding himself he'd have time to grieve later if his grim fears ended up being true. He needed to get to safety- Not just for himself but also the two others now counting on him for such as well.

Tito looked over to Jenn. " Here, if you know the number you can use my phone-" Instinctively he checked his pocket but found nothing. Then he remembered he had been keeping it out to make sure it didn't get wet if he left the truck, and was nice and dry currently perched just in the middle of the dashboard. He grabbed it and noticed another text he had received at some point from one of his roommates. Ignoring it, he simply unlocked it and handed it to Jenn.

" Here. And where did you say your apartment was again? We've got to get going before there's too much water on the roads to drive anywhere. It already doesn't look good..."

"It's up on Stone Avenue, if you know where that is." Jenn said, looking at Tito's phone with a bit of bewilderment. While she poked at it, she continued. "If you don't know, though, its just north on Main Street."

Jenn pointed up the road toward several small buildings at the head of Murphy street that could be seen through the downpour. "That way."

" Okay." Tito said as he gently pushed the gas pedal and proceeded out the parking lot. Carefully he made his way the road which Jenn had directed him to.

Jenn continued to punch numbers on the phone, pretending perhaps that she new the clinic number, or pretending she knew how to use the phone, or else pretending to cover up some other awkwardness of her own entirely... or maybe, she really just couldn't focus on the phone at all. Whatever the case, and regardless, Jenn found herself continually glancing at the road ahead - much to the fortune of the truck and its occupants.

"What is ..? - Look out!" Jenn shouted of a sudden!

It was a miracle. Although the rain was black, the road was black, and the hole which opened up in the middle of it was black, Jenn had detected the strange anomaly well in advance of the truck's plummet. A little past Town Hall and the Police station, Mainstreet was devoured by an inexplicable sinkhole, into the depths of which the rain now cascaded endlessly.

Luckily Tito wasn't driving fast. When he slammed on the brakes for the second time that night the truck easily coming to a stop before getting too close to the sinkhole. Tito looked at the water pouring into the hole wearily, before letting out a quiet sigh.

" Well it doesn't look like we'll be going anywhere now."

Tito looked at Jenn apologetically. " Sorry I couldn't get you home."

Jenn barely heard Tito's apology as she left the vehicle for a third time in the same night.

There was nothing to describe the irregular phenomenon in Reknab Bend. At first, it was a bubbling barely seen in the reflection of a streetlamp several feet away, then a strange black cookie appeared in the center of the road. A moment later, the asphalt was cracking and crumbling inward like the aforementioned cookie, and a blackness the size of a car devoured the yellow lines in the middle of the street.

When Jenn got out of the truck, the hole spanned from one side of the road to the other.  With every step closer, she expected to see the bottom, but every step revealed the continual wall of the pit descending into a bottomless abyss. Instinctual self preservation, if Jenn had any, made her knees feel stiff and her heart beat rapidly. Yet, for all the obvious danger the hole presented, it had ceased growing, and remained perfectly round like a cookie. Aside from the werewolves themselves, it was the most unnatural thing Jenn had ever seen.

Albert Rich was working late at Town Hall that night. As the rain pelted his windows, and the yellow light buzzed above his desk, Albert stayed moored to his work like an old boat on dock. One hand pattered his keyboard, the other absentmindedly stroked the wrinkles on his forehead, as if ironing them out was an actual possibility. As he read, he incessantly mumbled to himself according to his usual habit while engrossed.

Thus employed, Albert was suddenly stirred from his thoughts when light shadows sped across the walls of his office and the sound of screeching tires were heard. He paused, sat back in his arm chair, and listened. The screeching came to an end, but the light through his window blinds remained. He stared at it for a few minutes, continuing to listen. He began to feel the aching in his joints and the stiffness in his limbs for having sat in one place so long. Almost all at once his eyes, hands, and feet felt heavy with weariness.

"Eghh.." Albert sighed and stretched his arms over his head, then he wiped his brow and looked at the clock. It was well past midnight. Rather than return to work - as if it could tempt him again after being so derailed - Albert turned his chair and peered through one of the cracks in the blinds. He could see a truck in the road, and its precarious position near the center lane revealed distress. Knowing it was likely one of his neighbors, Albert got out of his chair and left the office. At the door, he grabbed his hat and coat, and luckily an umbrella was also stashed nearby for sudden use. Having acquired all, he stepped out into the rain.

Only when Albert was fully outside did he notice the cause for distress.
"Oh, my..." He said, and given the circumstances, it was all he could manage. The noise of the rain, the bitter cold wind, and the unbelievable black hole in the road, all worked to wake Albert right up.

"Jenn, get back from there!" He called, already crossing the road to meet her and her young friend.

PreviousPage 4 of 6Next