Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Werewolves (RP17) "Where the Moon Meets the Mountain"

PreviousPage 23 of 24Next

After Ionone spoke, a silence fell in the pit that could not have lasted more than a few seconds, at best. Yet, in those moments of mulling over the options set before them, the prisoners seemed to have an eternity to consider the consequences of every breath they breathed in falsity. At long last, though it was not long at all, Kratos broke the silence.

"I have other things to see to before the rising of the moon." He said. "Your window to deal honestly with us is closing. When closed, the window will not be opened again. If you want us to take your word at any point tonight, then I advise you to speak honestly now. I have other things to do with my time than listen to lies and half-truths."

Spearfishing, like any method of hunting prey, required a great deal of patience. It also required slow, steady movements and almost utter silence, but very little stamina. It was good sport for Logan; it occupied her mind and body and allowed her time to hone her senses.

The bigger fish would naturally stay in the deeper parts of the streams. This one, at it's deepest, only went to Logan's chin, but she kept to the places where she was submerged to her hips, with her spear at the ready. The stream was high enough that it caught her black hair up in it and swept it along with the current behind her. Her pants sat atop a branch nearby, and she wore black athletic style shorts while she worked.

A net would have served better, but Logan had been practicing this method for most of her life, and had become proficient at it. Salmon was bountiful in the streams around her village in the spring, and in the winter months they would ice fish from holes on the lakes.

Already a couple of small and medium trout were tethered in the water by a thin line to a nearby branch, to preserve them while she continued to wait for prey.

Jackie had not come to this game unprepared. In her bag were many things she had managed to "repurpose" for her intents around the cabins and ranch (when no one would catch her). The item she withdrew was a net, carefully wrapped up inside with a care generally thought unlikely. It had been woven from an old nylon chord with holes just about the size of her fist. It was perfect for capturing larger fish, while the smaller ones were inclined to slip on through.

While Logan worked with her spear, Jackie positioned herself just downstream. It was her hope that the fish which swam away from Logan, frightened, would carelessly sweep into her net. She weighed down its bottom edge with heavy rocks and held up the top-end.  And thus she waited, sensing the current around her, periodically pulling up the net to bring in her gains.

She had captured and killed several trout already and left them up by the bank, but waited still for the larger game to come swimming by...

Toby followed her gaze. He didn't know whether to answer in a way that would build her confidence in this pack, though they were utterly unworthy of it, or to answer in the way he felt like answering and probably destroy any security she felt she had right now.

"I've been working on a project to help the pack keep in touch with each other tonight." He answered, deciding to just stick with facts and not introduce personal bias.

Is trust worth the risk of honesty? If truth turns an average foe into a worse enemy, is a trusted enemy any better than a lying foe?

Somewhere between making a bad choice and choosing to be bad was a gamble that one choice would serve the captives better than the other. To lay down all the cards was to place judgement entirely into the hands of the captor, and to retain them was to forfeit the game. Truthfully, the captives could not expect mercy, yet, they had obtained mercy to this point. Truth, if it was given now, would reveal a worse case, and yet, would it garner the trust and further mercy of the captor?

The wild-haired woman with dark brown eyes seemed to be the one the other two trusted to make this call. John said nothing. Ionone held her peace. Tiffany had never met a man worth trusting, but she was known to gamble on trust no matter how many times she got bitten for it. It was a risk, and she was a risk taker, so long as the risk was within reason.

"Alright," Tiffany said. "We'll tell you everything, so long as John goes free."

In this word was two. Tiffany did not want to reveal the information she had to John, and therefore he would have to leave or she would say nothing more. Kratos understood and gave a turned nod of his head.

John looked at Tiffany. Her expression showed no feeling for him, yet there was always some sort of gentleness in Tiffany's eyes. Perhaps it was her feminine charm that her features ever portrayed... Regardless, John was sad to say goodbye. It was easy to think of Tiffany in the way he had always known her - a human, not a werewolf - for he had never seen her other form. Even Ionone had been kinder to him in the last seven days than in the former three. - John was happy at the prospect of going free, of course, - but saying farewell to Ionone and Tiffany, possibly forever, was a hard thought. Still... He had finished his meal and it was time to go.

"Fine. Alright then." John said. He stood up and wiped his nose.

The alpha stood aside for John, and only John, to pass him.

"Ulric, drop the ladder." He said.

Tiffany smiled at John in her warm and lovely way as he passed her.
"You be good now, you hear?" She said. Her voice was always as smooth as caramel cream. In goodbye, she winked her red lashes with a twinkle in her eye.
John looked away from her, lest he become a pansy in front of Ionone.

Ulric complied instantly and the ladder came down. Kratos let John climb it by giving him a comfortable amount of room. When John reached the top, Kratos followed. Thereafter the ladder was raised, the gate was closed, and Ulric returned the key to Kratos.

"Ulric. Levi." Kratos instructed, "Take him to town. Go straight there and straight back. He will have resources enough there to reunite him with his party and I will expect you back before noon."

"Kratos," Ulric looked up into the alpha's large black face. "I want to be here."

Kratos furrowed his furry brow and looked at Levi.

Meanwhile, in the pit, Tiffany looked at Ionone. "Kratos." She mouthed the word and did not say it.

Samantha looked at the briefcase again with some confusion. " You mean like a telephone?" She asked, wondering how one would work if it was stuck in a briefcase.

Sami and Dakota each had a plate prepared downstairs. Sami's portion was much smaller, and Bianca had carefully cut her steak into thin strips (even though she was 10). Bianca would have done the same for any of her sisters. The remainder of the steaks were divided up into halves and covered in foil along with the rest of the food.

An extra portion of rice and vegetables was set aside for Sabrina, but otherwise no other plates were made, and Bianca had eaten as she prepared the food. Everything was arranged neatly to be gathered and plated as the pack members saw fit; the grill was cooling outside.

Nobody ate at the same time, just like nobody seemed to sleep at the same time. Besides, lunch was early anyway, and breakfast had only just been put away some time ago.

They knew where to find the food just as well as the beds. Bianca resigned herself again to the couch, where she lay stretched out on her tummy, and had started to work in her journal, but instead began to doze.

-

Sabrina seemed content to sit with crossed legs on the river bank and meditate. Between Jackie and Logan, they would have plenty of fish.

-

"I can take him back to town, sir," Levi said, interpreting that look as a question if he had any complaints to add to Ulric's.

"I donnae think he'll be any trouble. At any rate, I can handle him."

PreviousPage 23 of 24Next