Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Werewolves (RP14.2) The Way of the Trusted

PreviousPage 4 of 4

It felt like a small eternity, or the blink of an eye in the dark, when then came a soft sound to the ears of the werewolves left without sight or scent to guide them out. It was an approaching footfall that met their ears, and someone's breath.

Kratos stirred. His ears stood erect, though it couldn't be seen, and he faced the approach keenly. He recognized her by the lengths of her breath and the passage of it through her nostrils, for no man or woman's breath was the same to the ear of the Alpha.

"Are you their leader?" The young woman said.

"I am." The Alpha replied.

"You have done as was asked." She said. "I'm come to lead you out."

"Lead on." Kratos said.

Then, unexpectedly, a small cold hand touched his nose. In the same moment, someone took Logan's hand.
"Walk with me." she said, and she began to lead them.

~

In shorter time than it took to get in, the werewolves were out under a dark sky and black trees. Their small guide was no other than the girl the pack had saved some three months ago before their mountain hiatus.

Alpha Kratos came out of the cavern, pleased to feel a cold wind rush upon him. The long black and red fur of his hackles danced under the dark sky. He stood up on his hind legs and looked up into the looming storm. No star could be seen. Then he looked down upon the girl who led them to safety.

"Where are they?" He said.

"Levi and Theo have returned to your houses on the foothills." Tammy said. "They made it there safely."

"What about Chime?"

"She is unable to travel. Her ankle was badly hurt coming over the mountain and she remains with my people." Tammy spoke loudly in the wind. "We will take care of her, and bring her to you when she is well."

Kratos was silent, but like the brewing storm danger could be felt.

"You must trust us." Tammy insisted. "That is the meaning of the path you just walked; the leaves you brought with you are an ancient herb which we use to heal and cloak ourselves from you. By returning it to the earth you have made a promise, as your ancestors did, to keep it secret and share it with no one. I came representing my people to lead you out, but it was at my peril. They would know if I did not return that you meant to betray us. If you had not trusted me, you would have been lost in the earth forever. I know it by heart and can walk it blindly, but the chamber is a labyrinth. It was designed by your race; those who promised to protect us and our secret. Only their children knew."

"You must keep your promise." Tammy insisted. "We will return her to you."

“About twelve,” Bianca responded evenly, setting out a bowl, flour, sugar and chocolate chips she’d purchased. “She did a lot of things, to advocate for and protect our race, from nursing to investigation work. So it wasn’t unusual for her to be gone long stretches, once my sisters were old enough. Anyway, she didn’t come back one time; we thought maybe she’d gone to see Perceval-my dad-they were split up and he lived a thousand miles away, but she wasn’t there, either. Unsolved missing persons case.. but, that’s not uncommon with us is it? It was almost the case for that woman and her son. It might have been a  territory overstep, or hunters. We’ll never know. I’ve really come to terms with it, anyway. She knew she took risks and that was all part of it.”

By now, the dough was nearly ready and she was removing a cookie sheet.

She had come to terms with it. Ulric listened to Bianca in an understanding manner, yet far from him was the ability to truly understand her loss. He knew there was no closure in a missing person case, as observed on occasion from the outside looking in; The first days spent wondering and worrying every moment; the first weeks filled with dwindling hope and rising grief; the following months of desperation to find a body... Wondering ever after, but never knowing. For a mere moment, Ulric imagined what it must have been like; imagining if it had been his beloved Resme hiding in the mountains when the wolves came. He shrank from the thought as soon as it came to him.  Never knowing was, perhaps, the part Bianca had come to terms with.

Ulric wiped his forehead and chin and breathed deeply.

"I'm sorry." He said solemnly.

What their small guide had to say neither seemed to stir any unrest in Logan, nor extinguish any concern she might have had. She remained stoic while listening, and silent even after the girl had spoken. Chime was certainly the smallest and youngest of the pack, but she had a strong spirit and will. To hear that an ankle should keep her from returning to those whom she called family, required a great deal of trust.

Surely they would have been left in that cavern if true ill will was intended.  It wasn't easy, and the journey home seemed so long and forlorn, to leave without Chime. However, Theo and Levi, if they truly awaited, would be able to attest to her fate.

"Kratos, a storm grows and the way is not easy. I am in trusting of this one."

"Que sera, sera." Bianca nearly whispered, "Anyway. I can't imagine Kratos does much baking, considering the unfortunate lack of mixing bowls, mixers, or anything somewhat useful.." she groaned, her arm tired from mixing the dough with a spatula. The oven released an obnoxious, grating buzz to indicate it was hot enough.

Bianca began to dollop out spoonfuls of cookie dough. She tossed the cookies in the oven and started the egg timer, then picked up the bowl and brought it to Ulric. "You can have the bowl! Raw eggs won't hurt you. Makes your coat shiny!" she scrunched her nose, then grabbed the spatula and walked into the living room. "Timothy, you have to try this. I know it's not a whole, still-mooing cow, but it's good." she held out the spatula, purposefully coated in cookie dough, insistently before Timothy.

Despite the heavy thoughts upon him, Ulric couldn't help but smile as Bianca handed him the bowl. Bianca, of course, comes from a nursing family. If she says eggs make a werewolf's coat shiny, well, she must know it. So Ulric did eat the cookie dough, though it was his nature to politely decline. He ate it, and quite enjoyed it for that matter.

But Timothy did not partake, nor did he make any reply to Bianca. He stared at the black window as if lost in the wind outside. In his mind's ear he could hear a faint howling on the wind...

After a great moment when only the wind and the trees seemed to reply, Kratos at last consented to leave. He brought his hands down onto the earth and left the girl standing by the gaping maw of the mountain. Nothing need be said, should the promise not be kept. They both knew the outcome.

The way was dark and treacherous, yet into the night the werewolves went. Homeward.

To Be Continued....

PreviousPage 4 of 4