Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Werewolves (RP14.1) A Precarious Road

Page 1 of 4Next

This role play chronicles the activities of Calagathorm Pack members Sabrina Sabres and Jaqueline Ryder on the night of August 19th, immediately following the events of "Werewolves (RP13.1) Many Decisions: Dangers".

This role play takes place simultaneously on the timeline with:
"Werewolves (RP14.3) Guardians of the Archway"
&
"Werewolves (RP14.2) The Way of the Trusted"

The afternoon had gone lazy around the edges. Everything that passed by Jackie’s passenger window was somehow in slow motion despite the motion she traveled.  She tried counting trees, tried imagining how the leaves must be rustling in the trees outside, tried identifying all manners of smell in the car.

But no matter what she tried, her mind kept spinning and reeling around. She wanted to scream. She wanted to run through the forest for miles and miles and miles until she was sick. She wanted to curl up under the covers and never come out.

But right now, she was trapped in a car.  And hadn’t even been allowed to drive it.  As though somehow she’d become an invalid after leaving the bank, and couldn’t even be trusted.

Of course she couldn’t be trusted. Except, now, Sabrina seemed to be taking a more ‘hands on’ approach with their little excursion.  She hadn’t even asked her where they were going.  She assumed home.  If ‘home’ was even really home to begin with…

She’d started picking at the fabric hanging at the top of the car.  Before she’d known what she was doing, some of it started to hang down and — well, Ulric probably wouldn’t be lending the car to her again anytime soon.

Sabrina drove in silence for sometime. If she paid any attention to Jackie's fidgeting, she showed no sign of it.

The color of the sky was warming - bright orange and salmon creating contrast against the dark forms of trees and the ominous dark shadow of Phantom Mountain against the horizon. The white noise of driving ambience as the tires ate up highway was relaxing. In all, the calmness belied the potential consequences of their little escapade.

"What did you expect to find?" Sabrina asked suddenly.

In a brief moment of stillness, Jackie watched the tarnished light dance through the darkened trees.  She tried to imagine herself sitting in a quiet place, briefly recalling when Sabrina had instructed her to find her 'center'.  But much as before, in the stillness she could only find the jagged edges of her own mind.  She squirmed uncomfortably, and found herself strangely comforted when the silence was interrupted by Sabrina's question.

Not that her expression betrayed any of that - her face twisted into a scowl, eyebrows furrowed and lips downturned.

"My sister," she said simply.

She paused a breath, feeling a discomfort at the word.

"But clearly she doesn't want to be found..."

Sabrina stared ahead at the road, but gave a slight thoughtful nod, as though Jackie's response had been deep and required some mulling over before a response could be offered.

"Strange, isn't it? That she would seek your help in the first place, or rather make you aware she was in danger, only to tell you to stay away? Seems a bit clumsy. If I had been in her shoes, either I would be in control of the situation and not hint otherwise, or my cry for help, subtle, followed by instruction that you stay away would have been to throw someone else off our trail. Make them think you're not coming." A hum, a shrug of the shoulders. "But that's just me."

"SHUT UP!" Jackie roared, "You have no idea what you're talking about!"

That was it.  The little bit of kerosene had finally found spark in Sabrina's words, her entire body tensed from head to toe.  Her nostrils flared and the brightness of her eyes glared into Sabrina as the desire to strangle her was quenched in a harsh breath.  A fair bit of expletives followed in her mother's language, until her head leveled enough to remember words.

"You're..." her shoulders heaved, until she distracted herself by pulling viciously at the ceiling fabric, "You're delusional..  Not everything can be controlled like some faerie magic show.  You think it can be, though, don't you? Every move you  make choreographed, every dark thought carefully tucked away and put on a leash.  Well, if you try that with him, he'll bend you till you snap".

She tried to fall silent, but Sabrina's words still spun in her head.  The danger still lurked in the air.  But not from her - from words not yet read.

"Give it to me," she growled, not bothering to specify further.

Sabrina's expression didn't change, but something in her posture seemed to relax just a bit in response to Jackie's explosion. She waited in silence for her to calm down (or at least stop talking for a minute) and her gaze remained transfixed on the road ahead.

Jackie wanted the letter. Now Sabrina gave her just a glance; noting with a little disappointment she was tugging and tearing at the ceiling fabric. Her lip twitched, just a bit at the corner. It wasn't a smile. It was almost a frown. Sabrina had nearly missed one of the balls she was juggling in her head, just a fraction off balance for only a moment. All that in a second or two, before her eyes went back to the road.

Her right hand left the wheel and she fished the letter out of her inside pocket, passing it to Jackie with a subtle sweep of the arm.

She was silent a moment, letting Jackie make what she would of its contents, if she could this time get past the smell of the blood on its edge.

Then, finally,

"It's true, I like to be in control. I push people, sometimes to the breaking point, just to see what is inside." Her voice was quiet. Steady. Even. Like her eyes on the road. But something was off. Somewhere, deep down, there was just the faintest trace of emotion. Vulnerability, maybe? With Sabrina, it was always hard to say. But the very fact that there was *something* in her voice meant... well, that there was something in her voice. And that was new.

For a long moment, the only sound was their mutual breathing and the purr of the engine, the subtle grinding of wheels on asphalt.

Then, she said, "We all have our demons, Jackie." It was like the period at the end of a long sentence, or a confession, instead of a silence as there had been.

Jackie flinched at Sabrina's words, as though they'd been a dagger and struck her.  Then she continued to stare at the woman, and the paper in her hands, and back at the woman, before taking her shaking fingers to unfurl her sister's final words to her.

In all likelihood, this letter will never reach your hands. I confess, I am not used to leaving things in the hands of others. Yet for all the times you complicated my life, let us hope your skills were not honed in vain. If by chance this letter does arrive to you, I have three items for you.

You should know our ‘employer’ has discovered the ruse. I could not distract him long without a body. However, I have stalled his interest in reacquiring his lost asset with a greater prize. You are safe from our touch, at least, on those miserable mountains. If you intend to travel beyond them, do so cautiously.

And next, a request. I need you to make something disappear. I don’t care where it is, or what you do with it, but I must never know of it even at the risk of my own life. You will find it where you made your greatest mark on this town. If you have not recovered it by the 31st, I will assume we have failed and make other plans.

And finally, an apology. I wish our paths had entwined differently, but this is where they must end. Do not look for me. Do not try to save me. I will manage these affairs best on my own. If you do nothing else for me, you must let me go.

Until our next life, Your sister

At the final word, her palms curled around the paper tightly until it became a compacted ball.

"What is this?" her breathing caught in the jagged corners of her throat, "What the... is this?".

"You're a lot like her, you know," Jackie mused as her fists curled until they were white, "You both push others, to see how far they'll go, to see what they do".

She stared at her hands a moment, before taking the other to roll down the crank on the window.  Air whipped through the crack, distorting the smells and current inside.  With her other fist, she took the balled, crumpled paper and threw it out the window. She didn't even watch as it vanished forever from sight.

"I'm tired of being played," she snarled, looking at Sabrina as though expecting her to object, "I'm tired of being anyone's dog but my own".

"Played?" Sabrina repeated without missing a beat, "That sounds like someone is holding on to your strings. On the contrary, there were no strings. You asked for my help and I gave it to you. I followed you. I did what was required to help you reach your goal. The trouble is, you didn't know what your goal really is. You kept waiting for me to stop you, didn't you?"

A pause.

"Would it have made you feel better if I had? That's your comfort zone, Jackie. You like fighting against the leash and being told what to do. Well, you don't like it. But it's safe and comfortable and familiar there, isn't it? If you want to own your own dog, stop waiting for someone else to tell it to sit or stay or fetch. Independence isn't just kicking against the pricks. Taking control isn't just having your hands on the wheel and your foot on the gas. You need to know where you're going, or you're just as powerless as you are when someone else is driving."

Jackie curled inwards at Sabrina's words, like a sulking child given a lecture she didn't like.  Her hair caught the light like strands of copper wire beneath the now lopsided ballcap. She brought her knees up to her chest, trying to feel the comfort of her own embrace, her expression distant and guarded.  There was something lurking there in her eyes, something she wouldn't, couldn't let out.  Not in the tight walls of this car, not in front of Sabrina, and especially not in front of herself.

"Why did you let me get this far?" her voice came out quiet, like a whisper, so strange against her earlier outburst.

"Would you have stopped me if I hurt someone?" she rubbed the back of her arms, "Would you have stopped me if I killed someone?"

She held the breath caught in her chest and brought her knees so tightly against herself there was pain.  It distracted her a moment.

"I wanted..." her breath staggered, "I wanted to know how far you'd let me go.  I... I'm tired of being played, but maybe it's better that I am, better that I don't..."

She exhaled in a rush, at once releasing herself. She looked back out at the road, "I think I know where Melinda wants me to go..."

Sabrina stared evenly at the road ahead. "Good," she said. If she were the mother on a 80's  television sitcom, she could have said "That's nice dear," and it would have sounded the same.

Sabrina didn't ask for more on Jackie's epiphany. Instead, she looked at her over her shoulder and asked seriously, "Where do you want to go?"

"You're not my dog, or your father's, or Melinda's. You're a werewolf, true, but a woman first and foremost. A woman should know what she wants."

Page 1 of 4Next