Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

A Coat of Fresh Paint (E-SP RP8/9)

PreviousPage 6 of 11Next

Addie

"Hm," I had begun to respond, when the Cardinal entered, and humored the lady of the house with a stale kiss. I dare not interrupt such an intimate display of love, much like when the man was reunited with his son in the hospital. Truly, the distance was so great, you could fit a mountain between him and those he called family.

How I longed to hold my family. Not even air would escape between the embrace. And still I felt closer to them than these people who stood in the same room, having all the coldness of statues situated on opposite ends of a cathedral. Statues, leastways, could act better.

If Goldilocks had spoken to me, it had gone out of my mind. When I became self aware, there was a spread of food in front of me. I absentmindedly thanked the waitress and stared down at it. In spite of the shake in my bones, and the gnawing of my gut, I didn't feel hungry. On the contrary, the atmosphere had well spoiled my appetite. The smell of the food was hardly welcoming, and I could feel my stomach turning.

I tried not to look impolite. But if anyone asked, the lobster looked impolite first. I did know that if I didn't get my mind off the food, and fast, how I really felt about this dinner party was going to come out. Literally.

"Mrs. Reggadae - may I suggest a prayer, before we eat?"

Kaqurei

"Oh, how charming," Mrs. Reggadae tittered, as warmly as she could. It was an honest effort, anyway.

Then there came the moment of awkward confusion as to whose turn it was to make the next move. It was not that the family had any particular aversion to prayer, but it could be said they were woefully out of practice--or, that no religion at any time had been practiced at their home. So, the question cast by the eyes of the mistress of the house to its master was perhaps, Who shall do it? and it was met by his How is it done? Different sects practiced even the simple Grace so differently, and the Reggadaes certainly had no desire to offend their guest. The young men momentarily looked at a loss, and Josh shifted uncomfortably, as though he meant to offer himself somewhat as the lamb to the slaughter and offer as clumsy an oblation as he knew how--for if he did it wrong, he alone could be wrong. Then the momentary atmosphere akin to panic was hushed by a wave of Mr. Reggadae's hand as he smiled easily and said,

"Would you care to do us the honour, Bluejay?"

Mae

While the quest of quiet confusion besought the faces of the Reggadae family, the man in the crimson suit sat with his fingers interlaced in an attitude nonchalant. He watched the question float around the table as if it were a tangible thought, to nothing saying. The woman who sat across from him likewise said nothing, but her eyes seemed to smile.

Addie

I wouldn't lie, it was the first time I had them cornered and there was a kind of cruel satisfaction to it. I'd probably be struck by lightning soon as I walked out for wanting to laugh, but I kept my composure on the outside.

Heathens.

I nodded, respectfully enough, towards Mr. Reggadae.

"Only should the head of the household," I inclined my head towards the Crimson Man and the lovely lady with him in turn, continuing "Or should Mr. Abravious or his company decline to do so."

Kaqurei

All eyes went to Yosir. Then his went to the Alpha. For the briefest moment, there was a helpless, hoping that the Alpha would take this one, but in a moment that easy self-comfortable smile was in its place and Mr. Reggadae said, "But of course. Alpha?" And he left the question hanging, so that, without further dithering, he would let the call be Abravious' as to who should pray. And, should the lot fall upon him, he should gladly take it. Gladly. Of course. Why not?

Mae

The man's demeanor was wholly unperturbed by the exchange of cards; he seemed to know exactly what to do with them.

"I seldom practice it in Buddhism." He said with small interest, and motioned in the same moment to the woman sitting across from him. "But my wife is Christian."

Seeing this statement of fact for what it was and thereby solicited to the purpose, the woman bowed her head and began to pray. Though it was strange to meet the ears of those unfamiliar with such simple profundity, hers was not an arbitrary oblation, nor recited grace. She spoke with the sincerity and purpose of one person speaking to another, and seemed to speak with familiarity in regard to that person. Moreover, she spoke of a debt she owed which gratitude alone could repay. Josh's name and life was remembered by her, and a blessing was asked on his rescuer as well as on his family's household. Then at last the food was mentioned and the prayer concluded. When next the woman lifted her eyes the atmosphere of the room was altered, if only in some strange way.

The man in the crimson suit appeared pleased though his countenance had not changed. He began to eat.

Kaqurei

For his part, Yosir certainly looked relieved that the confusion of the moment had passed, and that he might regain his bearings on the situation at hand. He was not alone, however, in a certain feeling of having been chagrined. Their guest's request had been a little awkward, perhaps more than it needed to be, and their rescuer had been the one to whom all had looked down through their noses.

Yosir cleared his throat and started in to his meal.

Igaunde took a sip from her glass. In it, one must suppose she found her footing again, for when she set it down she was smiling in that coy way of hers again and said with an appreciative nod, "How very well orated, Rosa. That was beautiful. Thank you."

And they relaxed. Josh was the only one who did not touch his plate as yet. He took up the spoon, of course, but hesitated in eating. His face was thoughtful, his brow tense with some confusion. He looked up, briefly, at Robin, then at Rosa. He looked like he wanted to say something, but he did not. After a moment, he started to eat.

"The bisque is on point tonight, father," Shzekob commented. "The staff deserves a raise."

Yosir hummed an agreeable tone and took a swallow from his glass. His eyes wandered to Robin. "Is seafood to your liking, my dear?"

Mae

[Meanwhile...]

In the dreary old warehouse, Uno's captors had settled to play a game of cards.

"Do you suppose the Blood Gang will get lucky tonight?"

"Not if their recent trend holds."

"I tell you, the Bladders would've made a puddle of it long ago if they had been let to score."

"Well, they shouldn't 've picked a quarrel with Ben-Gamma, then."

"Hey - it's my turn."

"No, it's not. You just played that one."

"No, that was two turns ago. I played this one, then you played this one - see?"

"Oh, yeh... Well, play then."

"It's no good now, we might as well reshuffle."

"Don't be stupid - you just want a better hand."

"No, I don't. Here."

The sound of cards being shuffled stalled the conversation for a moment. With the candle on the table silhouetting the two shapes, the huge hunched figure looked like an ogre out of an medieval tale, and his spry companion gave the appearance of a mosquito turned human. The one known as Gabe had gone outside for a 'breath of fresh air', and otherwise left these two hobgoblins in charge of the watch... yet the dank atmosphere of the warehouse suggested there were eyes in dark places.

Addie

Such a simple thing, saying grace. And beautiful. I needed both of those things right now, simple and beautiful, to get me through. Rosa's prayer did a lot to lift my spirits, and I think the others too, weren't completely unperceptive. I whispered my amen and looked up to Rosa. "Thank you." I nodded to her.

Then I leaned back in my seat and beckoned one of the waitresses, asking if they might be able to prepare me a cup of tea with ginger root. It was then that I caught Josh's lost glance, which was quickly withdrawn from my person. I clasped my hands in front of me and my own eyes went to Yosir when addressed.

"It looks divine..I haven't had anything so rich in my life."

The bread seemed like a safe choice, so I dipped it in the bisque and ate some that way. Then my eyes wandered back to Josh. He wanted to say something, he had for a while now. Clearly he was to be seen and not heard, however. I wanted so badly to change that. Surely if he was tempted to break character, he thought it was worthwhile to say. And I might easily open the line of communication as easily I could once again challenge the hierarchy, but I had doubts that would do anything to benefit either of us. So I took another small bite of my bread and bisque.

Swallowing, and not yet having been addressed further, I decided to open a new line of conversation, directed towards Mrs. Reggadae once again.

"You's surely a brave woman. It's such a burden, not knowing where your children are, or if they've been hurt..."

Addie

Silas fixed the collar of the dress shirt, and checked his cuff-links. He scanned the neighborhood again, for the umpteenth time, and glanced back at Jodecai. "Watch the doors, I'm gonna take a walk around back." he leaned down and picked up the saxophone case, slipping the strap over a shoulder.

His gait was every bit as cool as it was cautious. He blended in well enough. Then he reached into his jacket and withdrew a pack of cigarettes, taking out a stick and lighting it with a match. Jodecai didn't like when he smoked-he would still smell it on Silas, but at least he couldn't complain about the smoke in his face.

The sniper continued around to the rear of the estate. From here he could see the lights on upstairs, but the view wasn't quite as good as the front. Keeping to the shadows as he examined he structure, he continued to place distance between himself and it, until he found a comfortable enough location within viewing distance.

Exhaling and finding another tree to rest against, he relaxed his eyes on the hazy glow of the party on the second floor. He drew his free hand up and tucked it underneath the crisp tuxedo, pressing it against his torso with a grimace. The medication they prescribed for the pain was back home-no chance he would he take it and risk losing alertness. Anyway, the pressure helped, so he kept his hand there a moment longer, waiting for who knew what to happen.

PreviousPage 6 of 11Next