Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

A Coat of Fresh Paint (E-SP RP8/9)

PreviousPage 4 of 11Next

Indy

"Ehhhhh...."

Such grand words for what awaited him, but no others would suffice when his mouth tasted like blood. Broken nose, maybe -- his hands instinctively clutched where he'd been struck, a thick well of liquid and the taste of copper in his mouth. He'd taken a few quick glances of the hospital room and realized he was woefully unprepared. He was prepared for a few croonies, maybe, but not an infestation.

He wrinkled his nose, maybe in disgust or maybe trying to lessen the flow of blood. He shot a meaningful dagger of a glare at his attacker.

"Fine. I yield. Let's talk".

Kaqurei

"Bluejay," the elder Yosir repeated. He glanced at the older man briefly, some flash of either indifference or respect--it was so hard to tell, though they were polar opposites of each other--and then to Robin again with the intent to say something else. But it was left unsaid. The others entered then. A marked coldness came to his ever-present smile.

"Indeed a welcome guest," he said loudly, as though speaking to Robin at face value, and yet the same words would have different meaning to those entering by the door, "However unexpected. I did not think I should have the opportunity to thank you in person, Bluejay, for saving my son's life. Truly, I'm surprised you returned. The work of the good Samaritan is done, is it not? Yet here you are, and move to deny me a second time the chance to repay you?"

He shook his head and laughed. "No indeed! But I insist. You will join us at my home for dinner tonight. Mrs. Reggadae, I'm sure, is eager to make your acquaintance as well. You deserve that courtesy, at the very least. Wouldn't you agree, Yosir?" And he turned to look at Josh.

The boy merely nodded, his face unchanged.

Addie

There was no parle here. The situation was grimly understood. There were no guests, only hostages in fine clothes. Robin was pleased, at least, to look the part.. weather worn jacket, faded jeans and once white sneakers that were now a shade of dusty gray. Underneath was a woman who's strength could not be destroyed. It was hard to say, however, if you took away the suits of those that lingered ever present, out of reach- would they still stand? No indeed, for beneath them was a shadow, and it would collapse without the stiff material to prop it up.

She looked solemnly towards the Captain, whom by her discernment she concluded was a victim of an elegant mutiny. He knew the face he wore was only an image, and still he put it on every morning.

"Naturally.." she began, voice even, "You have given me an offer I cannot refuse." she added, then after a brief moment of silence, continued... calmly, albeit loud enough for the others to hear.

"Truth, caught in the throes of terror, remains the same, though may it distorted through the veil of shadow. Even if fractured therein, it does not become a lie; rather, the same truth, only to be uttered twice by separate tongues when it has been found among the rubble of chaos. Therefore, let it see breakage, and be captured- for what has been broken and captured, spread over a mass and taken in chains, will be consumed that the very same who seek to blot it out will be pierced from within, and in time, there will be only one Truth."

Robin recited the words easily, never removing he gaze from the man before her.

"It is my favorite piece of prose-may I ask, what is yours?"

Mae

The Crimson Shadow, now remembered by the other grey shadows looming in the doorway, turned his bright yellow eyes on Bluejay while the eyes of the others turned on him.

Displeased at being remembered, the old gentleman wore a solemn countenance and spoke more solemnly still. "I have planted my seeds in the rafters and imprisoned birds beneath the floor, so that the roots may grow through my hair and their wings may flap beneath my feet."

"Ah," The gentleman with the long face piped in, smiling. "Our first Alpha was famous for many such sayings. In other words, might one's mind be grounded while one's feet be liberated."

The first gentleman tapped his elegant cane irritably on the floor. "Prose is intended to many interpretations, Beta Talkane." He said, asserting himself now passed the elder Yosir and into the hallway.

"Don't be that way, Abravious." The round-faced high-voiced gentleman said, sounding pompous and forlorn.

Beta Talkane looked irritable. "Let him alone, Beulanncan."

Beta Belanncan stuck his nose and bright blue eyes in the air, looking indignant. "What is with this unfortunate atmosphere today?" Asked he.

Talkane looked into the room once more and leaned over his own walking stick to look around Beulanncan and see Bluejay. A smile, however strange, came to his thin lips and his cheeks wrinkled in three fine lines on both sides. He opened his mouth to say something but he was interrupted by Abravious, who was already a short ways down the hall.

"Beta Reggadae," Abravious said, turned on his heels it appeared. "I intend to be at your house tonight at six-pm. I will bring my wife to join you and the kind woman who saved your offspring."

Yet-so-far the third grey shadow had remained silent, but to this imposition made by the Alpha he spoke at length. "I do hope Mrs. Reggadae is able to accommodate the company." He said, and he looked both seriously and mockingly at the elder Yosir.

Kaqurei

His wide smile looked plastered on now. "Certainly, Alpha Abravious. Mrs. Reggadae would be pleased, I am sure," he said with a bow in the direction of the older man. He looked at the other shadows, and then to Bluejay. "Ah, I hope you won't mind, my dear." he said, and moved to stand alongside her and put his hand behind her back, edging her for the door. Josh came too, his eyes ever cast downward.

He did not look at the other shadows again, but spoke to them just by the way he carried his broad shoulders, his raised chin, the cool, self-assured expression on his face, and the mode of his walk--Bluejay would be his business, and not theirs. If there was any room left for doubt, his words to her next strangled it. "Given as that it is yet 5:30, I shall see to it personally that you are escourted to my residence at once," he said, and a nod to his bodyguards gave them leave to close in and see that none interfered with his design.

"Yosir," the elder said to the younger silkily, "Gather your things. The medical staff has already been advised of your immediate discharge."

As they made it out into the hallway, Josh, alongside Bluejay opposite his father now, grumbled to her without looking up, "You shouldn't have come back."

It was almost hard to hear him, yet clearly his father did. The plastered smile had gone and his eyes glanced ice in the direction of the son. "You are not a Beta," he said coldly, "You are not even in line to be a Beta. It is not your place to speak in their presence unless directed, is that quite understood?"

Josh said nothing.

Yosir smiled at Robin again. "I must apologize on account of my son's rudeness. Though the boy is of course treasured to myself and his mother, I fear he is not the brightest nor most possessing of tact."

Mae

The three other shadows, dismissed by Beta Reggadae, were left standing in the wide empty hall. They watched him leave with his son and his company in silence, and then when he was gone they whispered to each other in hushed tones.

"Who is this Bluejay?" Said the anonymous third, raising his black brow well over Beulanncan's bare head.

"I'm sure I haven't the slightest." The latter replied.

"Bluejay indeed..." Beta Talkane muttered, the thin lines of his face were pulled down by gravity, leaving an attenuated look of ill humor.

Just then a tall young man in a white button-up shirt came around the corner and directed a pointed nod toward Beta Talkane. Presently, Talkane bid good evening to his fellow Betas. Then, with the other two dispersing down the hall, he approached the young man by the corner.

"What is it?"

"Nothing much," The fellow said with a slanted smile. "But you should come see who's sittin' in Gabe's backseat."

Indy

What was sitting in the back of Gabe's seat but a very disgruntled man. With one hand he clutched a rag to his bloody nose, and with his other he teased the end of his ponytail with frustrated fixation. If glares had any power, then his surely would have withered the glass of the car by now; yet as they possessed none, he found himself well secured.

All the while, had one been listening, they might catch the hints of words under his breath. Many seemed to fade into a soft growl, but many phrases came to repeat.

"Blasted woman...."

"Never tells me anything...."

"Never thinks...."

"Blasted woman..."

Addie

Robin tensed to feel the strangers touch on her back. If he could see her face, he might have heeded the warning. She had to quickly recollect herself, breathing in slowly and exhaling slower, hoping it would release the tension from the vein protruding from her forehead. Only to hear senior Reggadae speak again- rinse and repeat.

She could only swallow so many grease covered words at a time. She never stopped walking, keeping a steady pace with Yosir.

"Actually," Robin breathed, considering her tone and quelling the sharpness in it before continuing. "I do quite mind. We're both married, after all. Let's agree neither of us will put their hand on the other from here on out. As your guest, I hope you can respect that."

Then she looked to Josh.

"And if it's all the same to you, I'd appreciate it if you kept your family matters to your family. I'm not against manners by any means, but I'm not a believer in reprimanding your child in front of a perfect stranger. Tears a person down a lot faster than it builds them up to be better."

Kaqurei

A deep, rumbling chuckle started in his throat and stayed there, as perhaps a growl may have were he in wolf form. "Perhaps that was as intended, my dear," he said, continuing to gaze steadily on ahead. "But on the subject of prose, since you brought it up. I have a particular favourite in the telling of the web of life. There is an order in all things; a chain of command, as it were. You see, the hare is hunted by the hawk, and not the other way around. Should he mistake his place, his actions--however laughable--would be a disturbance to the natural order. If we did not correct him, nature herself would, and it would prove his undoing. Wouldn't you agree?"

Addie

"No." Robin replied with a small shake of her head, her dark locks of hair trembling with the movement. "I have watched rabbits fight snakes in defense of their young.. instinct- the drive to care for ones offspring, is part of the natural order of life. So I have to ask, why did the rabbit attack the hawk? Have not the ox and bison attacked lions and bobcats and wolves to defend their herd? The prey is only prey as long as it allows itself to be. And predators? They're a dying breed. This is the natural order of things." she responded evenly.

"On the other hand.. animals will reject their offspring because they do not understand what they have created, or have no instinct to rear their young. In which case, there is something unnaturally wrong with the parent." she glanced sideways to Yosir senior, her lids half shut over her eyes and a stone like expression set on her grim face.

PreviousPage 4 of 11Next