Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

A Coat of Fresh Paint (E-SP RP8/9)

PreviousPage 10 of 11Next

Mae

If that wasn't the blood of Sabres the Svalnaglas were a in for a fitful mistake, but the attack was not unprecedented. The former cascade of crates had been the alarm, and unseen in the shadows the snipers made ready. They may not smell their foe, but black by the heart of the Svalnaglas captains there-be they were not wholly dependent on their traditional tools.

Many leapt to the ready and the shadows themselves seemed to bend to the actions of the monsters they concealed, but that grey wolf with his eyes of fire did not flee the falling form. In moments there was no man named Gabriel, nor his companions, for all of them were upon the beam at the heels of their attacker! But the grey wolf, the grey wolf was not so shortsighted.

Roger received the bashing of many crates, too large to move from their path, but the woman was gone the moment the intruder's voice was heard, and Gabriel seemed to climb the falling crates before they met the ground. Within moments wolves swarmed up the boxes upon the intruder while others clustered on the rafters!

Indy

It did answer his question-- they were in a lot of trouble. He said nothing as the gaunt spoke, though surely in his single eye he said all that need be said. It was with a different fury he regarded the beast: he knew this monster. He’d know many monsters like this, and would likely come to know more before he shuffled off this mortal coil. There was a tiredness, an anger, but an understanding too. Once he’d been much the same, though his words had been different…

A shadow settled beside him. It was a funny sort of shadow that had an Irish accent and had some half-baked plan to liberate him. Uno (yes Uno now, as he’d decided he was no simple Jeremy) was not one to flinch at such odds. Before the shadow had uttered ‘three’, his human form had fallen away. His maw was twisted in a subtle smile and the bright umber glint of his eye looked meaningfully at Gabe for just one moment. He said nothing, surely that monster hadn’t earned his words, yet somehow they were communicated regardless in that glint: Is this enough dog for ya?

Then he did just as the shadow had instructed and leaped.

Mae

Gabriel and the others were too slow to catch the two, so up they went into the rafters! There to meet a dozen steel-eyed characters on every side.

"Leave them!" The voice of the gaunt wolf filled the whole building.

Instantly, almost as if it were a dance, the whole company slipped back like grease against detergent and held their ground.

"You seem to think that we don't know where you're going." The voice continued, loudly from somewhere on the ground. "That if you somehow slip through the cracks tonight that there will be no repercussions. ... I needn't remind that you are trespassing - on our heritage - and stealing lawful prey."

"Well," His voice echoed somberly. "You know what they say... The best-laid schemes of mice and men. But no, that's Scottish isn't it?"

"Wee, sleek, cowering, trembling beast...." Another voice broke out in a low murmur. Her song echoing from the north corner of the warehouse.
In the south corner she was answered, by another who sang the next line of the old poem. "Oh, what a panic in thy breast..."

"Thou need not start away so hasty," This time very near in the rafters another carried the tune on.

"With bickering prattle!" Roger shouted angrily up from below.

"I would be loathe to run and chase thee," Gabe was heard to laugh.

A final voice rang cold and clear the last line of the verse. "With murdering paddle!" It said out of the east.

"You take from us a small ear of grain out of our storehouse, little mouse. We won't miss it." The gaunt wolf's voice concluded without song. "But think carefully before you take another move. Your actions tonight will determine whether these maggots have the power to fell the old Irish tree."

Kaqurei

Sweat was cold down the teenage wolf's neck. He'd thought his rescue plan through perhaps a billion times before he acted on it. It was far from fool proof. But it was the only shot he had. Somehow, after watching these guys for a few hours, he didn't figure they intended to just throw Uno in a dungeon once they were done with their little "interrogation". More like toss his body in a ditch.

All the boy knew about Uno was that he and his companion had saved an enemy's life. He'd been curious to learn more about them and where they came from when he'd followed them here. He hadn't a clue who this Svalnaglas pack was, or what beef they had with this guy, but the more he'd watched the less he liked them. It didn't take him long to figure out who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. The line about the Irish tree made it clear they knew what pack he was, though. Must've been the accent...

And now they were crooning poetry at him, of all things!

If they'd wanted to make him nervous, they done that. He'd touched the rafters and raised Uno's chair over his head to kiss the face of whatever devil stood in his way when they drew back, and he'd frozen that way as the grey wolf kept speaking. He threw an uncertain glance over his shoulder at Uno. Wondered if he were fresh meat or if he'd ever danced with these guys before--maybe he'd know what to do next.

"At least yer educated maggots," he said loudly to the voice below, his eyes darting from shadow to shadow in case any of them decided to launch an attack again. "If ya donae miss it, then just let us be, aye? Otherwise be loathe all yeh like, it's a chase yeh'll get and if ae'm the mouse ae'll give yeh a run fer yer money--make no mistake!"

Indy

Uno crouched silently on the high beam, giving the very impression of the creature he was compared to. The mouse took a surveying glance of his resources available, that is, the shadow that had initially settled beside him on his blind side. He was never one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but he suddenly felt as though his odds had drastically plummeted as soon as seeing him. He was scrappy ! In some cases this proved an advantage, yet Uno was sure that advantage was running thin.

Perhaps all was not as met the eye; he inhaled slowly from his nose, the barest of sniffs by all accounts. Yet still the air burned, hinting only vaguely at what scents it contained — his earlier injury had followed him even in this form. Yet instinct told him it was not just a quiet step that had allowed that o’l irish sapling to sneak in undisturbed.

He met Levi’s eyes in a quick flash, then pointed at his broken nose. Gesture was a poor form of communication in those untrained (Robin happened to be very well trained), yet even so he could not risk his enemies learning more than they already had. In time, he had no doubt his ally would catch on.

He crept silently along the length of the beam in silent, measured footsteps. He was no strangers to the shadows; in the same art is enemies used, his own pelt seemed to shiver. Perhaps he would have disappeared altogether, if he was not hindered by those smells he could not detect. Yet unperturbed, he leapt with catlike silence to another empty beam.

A single orange glint was seen from the rafters, "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, " the voice said as clear as a bell even in the deeper tones of a wolf, as though explaining to children, "And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you".

Then the glint vanished.

Addie

Robin's breath held no tainted smell of poison or drug. Her forehead was clammy, with beads of sweat, but not unusually warm. It was left to be assumed that it could be attributed to something as simple as fatigue, stress, and-or- a lack of nourishment.

In the fall, the gold chain around her neck had come untucked from her dress, and the ring-still polished a bright gold-could be seen plainly. There were letters inscribed on the inside of the band...

---

Silas kept a trained eye on Azaia, subtly prepared to react to even the slightest wayward movement of a hand, and taking into account every sound around him that he might not be ambushed from behind somehow. You couldn't be too paranoid when situated in the midst of a mafia. But on the outside, he kept his cool.

"I see. That's what this is about." he seemed to disregard the piece about Bluejay, realizing his mistake too late. How was he supposed to know she'd chosen an alias after another species of bird?

"You think the Betas don't have the Alpha's best interest in mind? I don't care who you answer to-if you don't respect the hierarchy, we've got bigger problems than politics between families. I was sent to oversee the dinner party went on without a hitch and keep my eyes outside for anything odd. Didn't think I'd be fighting off gardeners." he sneered towards Sonnelette, rolling his shoulders.

Kaqurei

Azaia gave Silas a dubious look before shifting back to his human form. "I'm not talking about the Betas," he said, "Or the Alpha. Though if you're here on his business that answers my question just as well." He shrugged.

He looked at Josh, who was standing there with his wolfish brows pinched together stupidly trying to decipher what was going on and who he should be mad at and whose side he was on. He rolled his eyes. "Change," he said. Like an obedient dog, Josh did just that.

Now that Sonnelette had gone, Azaia felt confident to speak frankly to Silas. "I've not worked with you personally before, but I've heard quite a bit about about you, Actaeon. I apologize, for my father's haste. Politics. If it was the Alpha who sent you here tonight, perhaps he should have known better. Be at ease, you are among friends now."

"Azaia's with us," Josh said gruffly, as if to translate to Silas what he personally felt was an over-complicated riddle.

"There'll be no need for a doctor, Schekob," the elder Yosir said calmly. "She's merely fainted."

The elder Yosir perhaps took note of the pendant and inscription, but he did not let on so to the others gathered round. Carefully, he lifted the woman into his arms to carry her to the aptly named fainting couch in the drawing room, and with a subtle movement returned the ring to its hiding place.

"Still, Yosir," his wife said anxiously, wringing her hands as she followed perhaps just at his elbow. "Don't you think it would be wise to have her examined anyway?"

"If the Alpha thinks so, I will not object. Otherwise, have Yhamir phone the doctor and inform her we will not need her services after all. We don't need a spectacle tonight."

Levi understood the gesture, roughly. He gave a quick nod and passed something from his pocket to Uno with his free hand.

His heart was pounding. Little could be communicated to his "rescuee" at the given moment, with all attention fixed on them. He'd marked out the positions of those who spoke during the poem, below, north, rafters, east, south... The west was left scandalously open, which could only mean that's where the enemy wanted him to go. But if that was all they'd left open, where else could he go?

Pollute it all, he thought to himself, Shouldn't 've stopped!

The call-off was a ploy to distract them so they could keep him from getting out the way he'd gotten in, and with a second's notice he'd bought right into it. He'd done stupider things before, but he got the feeling he was in way over his head this time.

Don't count yerself out yet, he told himself, glancing the way Uno had gone before returning his gaze to the glints of eyes in the shadows among him in the rafters. He still had a trick or two up his sleeve...

Addie

Regardless of what Josh and Azaia had to say, Silas was never at ease. At ease is was his kryptonite-what got him into trouble most of the time, and he had the scars to prove it. Maybe it's why he slept so little, why the bags under his eyes were as heavy as led.

"Thanks, Josh. Good to know." Silas said, trying to sound genuine as he nodded towards the pup. Josh needed a bone every now and then. He was a good kid, trying his best in a weird dysfunctional mafia family.

"Truth be told... I owe a friend a favor. I intend to ensure a caged Bird doesn't get her wings clipped in there," he jerked his chin towards the house, "She doesn't belong here." he added, lowering his head again.

Mae

Sitting nearest Robin, Rosa noticed the ring and chain slip soundlessly from the woman's chest, and as chance may have it she stole a glance at the cherished inscription before it was taken from her sight.

The woman was carried away by the elder Yosir, and the man in the crimson velvet suit stooped in offering his wife help from the floor. Rosa stood, and arm in arm the two passed from the room into another chamber of the house wherein the woman was laid.

"I can hear her heart beating." The man in the crimson suit said solemnly. More than this he knew, but what he did not say his words affirmed. There would be no need for a doctor.

A gift alone brought knowledge to the young, but what that gift could give to the aged with knowledge he already possessed gave power to the wise. Such was the power and knowledge of the man in crimson velvet suit.

Rosa surveyed the scene quietly and said nothing until the woman was rested on a couch.
"What was that noise outside?" She asked.

"Just someone playing in the hedges." The man replied dismissively. His eyes met Yosir's countenance briefly.

The shadows distorted and shifted with every step Uno and his rescuer took. Lithe and skillful figures barred every exit. None of them moved to engage the prey, remembering the command of their chieftain, yet to go too far in any direction was to invite a confrontation with them. Like agile black cats they moved from rafter to rafter to cut off the two, mocking as it were for the prey to make the first aggressive assault, while they stood poised to toss the meat to their companions who waited like hungry dogs below. Still, they did nothing but change their positions. As observed by the ill-informed rescuer, the only gap in their barricade was to the west.

"Forsake the hunt, my friend." The gaunt voice echoed in the blackness, no longer from the same direction as before. "If you go after her she will die. I may assure you I know the quicker path to where she is. Let it alone for now and we will let you keep your life, - you and your little Irish friend. But if not, neither you nor his bones will ever be found."

Kaqurei

Levi swallowed hard. Keep them talking. That seemed like the thing to do at present, agreed upon wordlessly by himself and the man he was attempting to rescue. "Never found? What, are yeh all cannibals too?" he asked, willfully obtuse and with a chuckle. More seriously he went on, "Now why's it so important t'yeh we let her alone tonight, that you'd kill her and us both? What'd'yeh think we'll do?"

PreviousPage 10 of 11Next