Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Twice in His Prime (CA - Diane & Melinda)

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next

Melinda regarded Diane without flinching, a ghost of a smile upon her expression.  The raindrops pattered softly now on the gravestones, a heavy metronome to the quiet machinations of the woman's mind.  For all of Diane's grace and formality, Melinda was struck at once she spoke to a young woman. A young woman who, for all her virtues and graces, lacked the years and wisdom to see the bigger picture.

"Tell me, Miss Betine, have you ever thought of your legacy? What is it you intend to leave behind, decades after your own passing? What is it you want others to say of you? Who are the people, the principles, the beliefs you want to leave behind?"

She folded her palms together, "Nothing worth doing is without risk.  To live in fear of what might be, we will never do what we must... So tell me what it is you protect yourself for".

"I might turn the question on you," Diane said, "For your life and mine are far from comparable. I would not protect myself if there were not a hundred or more lives that would put themselves before mine. If you should throw your life away, shall it's absence be the legacy you attain? To spend your blood, to end a union no one knows exists, seems a terrible waste to me."

Diane met Melinda's eyes candidly. "I make no investment in ideals, Melinda. People are worth far more."

"You seem to underestimate me, Miss Betine," Melinda replied calmly, "I have spent my entire life within this organization and your kind, carefully minding my own footing.  There are those that have faced grave consequences because I could not deviate from my path, no matter what, and could not endanger myself needlessly.... you have observed this in the fate of my sister."

Her gaze turned thoughtful, turning inwards towards Diane, "In truth it does not matter what people remember me for. If no one were to speak kindly of me at my own funeral, then it would mean I had done my job well. I am patient. If I must wait another twenty years, I will wait. But I will do what it is I intend to in the end".

She shifted her hands so that each fingertip touched the other, a quiet meditation, "You speak of investment, Miss Betine.  Tell me what it is you are looking to invest in".

"I invest in people." Diane said, turning her chin down. "So make me an offer I cannot refuse, and I will see to it that every werewolf under the stars is out hunting for your Enigma."

"Make to me gravibus promissionem, a heavy promise, that your blood and mine will be one; that I should have every reason to fight your cause and you mine; and that the moon may fall from the sky before I let you die in vain. This is the pact of the blood of the werewolves, shared between them in exitiale morsum. If you desire my partnership, this is what I ask, for the cost of such a risky proposition is blood, and blood requires blood to seal it. "

Diane turned her chin up and leveled her eyes with Melinda.  "A little unorthodox, perhaps," she said, "but I see what a gift your humanity is to you."

Melinda was silent. No doubt Diane's words had taken her by surprise. She studied the expression of the woman, but it betrayed no more than had been readily apparent in her words. She sized the shape of them and carefully weighed and measured them as she did all things.

"You think of me better, it seems, than I do myself," she replied slowly, "I do not possess teeth and claws to defend you. I have knowledge, certainly, but it is knowledge you might come to possess through a direct partnership with Enigma or in the vial I had brought with me..."

Her head tilted, "You speak of my demise as though it is some great loss - and to me, it would be, but no doubt my prerogative is not yours... Tell me what it is you intend of me, when taken into your own, that you cannot find in another. What is the great potential you see in me, besides the trajectory I've followed since I was a child?".

"You are a wonder, Melinda." Diane replied without hesitation. "Truly, I have seen no one walk so well balanced between worlds, and so well the master of oneself. I should consider myself privledged to call you my sister, and that is all I desire."

"I have asked for your story and you have given it to me in exchange for considering a partnership. Well now. The story does not disappoint. I find you every bit as fascinating and wonderful as I predicted and I intend to go all in. If you are prepared for such a venture as this, I promise you it will change your life. "

"You have walked parallel werewolves all your life, Melinda. It is high time you see it from our point of view.

The beat of the rain on the tombstones fell to the gentlest patter, and then none at all. It was a brief pause in the storm, where nothing stirred, and the stillness in Melinda's countenance was given greatest affect.  Once more, Diane's words had caught her by surprise - and within them, she sought for some other truth.  Perhaps an ulterior motive to be revealed when exposed in the right lighting, a devious ploy..... but nothing besides what she had already offered did she believe was there an inherent value, and therefore she was forced to conclude Diane's words were spoken in sincerity.

She considered the offer, thus, just as it was spoken. To walk alongside the likes of someone like Diane would no doubt serve many benefits to her own motivations, just the same as she would gain new enemies.  She would draw herself more tightly within the fold of the race that had both terrorized and befriended her since childhood- just the same as she had gained friends within werewolves, so too had she seen firsthand their might and power.

Her fingers trailed together, pensive. What would she learn, what would she gain, and what would she loose?  To these questions there were no answers - no algorithm existed within her mind that could even begin to predict them.  And yet, she well-knew the future that would lie ahead if she were to decline it.  On that path, she had walked long, and in the game of cat-and-mouse between her and Enigma it would persist until one or both of them was destroyed.  It was an old, familiar game which bore no future besides the heavy weight of its responsibilities, and the steep consequences that awaited those she had never met.

"I have had two I've called sister, before you," she replied suddenly, "The first in girlhood, the second as a teenager... It would be fitting, then, that you would be the third".

Her eyes met Diane's, without a flicker of hesitation within them, "I accept your proposal".

Diane smiled. "There are few pleasures in the world that compare to good relations." She said, "In the world of men, one cannot choose their blood relatives. But such is certainly not the case in the world of werewolves."

Diane was gratified by Melinda's acceptance. Her promise to protect Melinda's humanity had to be kept, however, and there was no ceremony outside of what the Svalnaglas called "exitiale morsum" or the fatal bite, that could bring a human wholly and completely into the world of werewolves. But had not Abravious Shragron taken a woman from obscurity and made her Alphess in everything except title?

Diane thought carefully for a moment. Then she reached for her neck and took from it a silver chain, - an ironic choice perhaps, - yet possibly even more unexpected was the Catholic cross that hung from it. Diane hooked the clasp behind Melinda's neck and gently concealed the pendant under Melinda's collar. The pendant would rest warmly on Melinda's bosom, for that was how Diane had worn it since her mother's passing.

"From this day onward," Diane said.

Melinda watched Diane's movements carefully, not knowing what to expect. Although her mind had initially fled to crasser methods for this ceremony more likened to a horror film, she vacated her mind of preconceptions. She watched the silver chain as it was removed and dangled and held perfectly still as Diane set the clasp.

In a world made of procedure and ceremony, she had never felt the weight of one as this one had. She could feel the warmth of the chain that dangled now from her neck, and the weight of the pendant. She readjusted her blouse, tucking it so it rested more comfortably upon her skin.

Melinda nodded.

"So be it," she said, and that was all she thought required for her part in the ceremony.  She afforded no more thought to the necklace, for instead her mind had turned to more practical matters, however blunt it might seem.

"My superiors will want to know how this meeting went," she said suddenly, "I'm inclined to gloss over the details of our arrangement.  But what say you to the first proposal I had brought?  Does this serum and its properties interest you and yours in an official capacity?"

"You can tell them..." Diane said. "We would be very interested in meeting with them."

"Your leader and mine, is that right?"

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next