Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Twice in His Prime (CA - Diane & Melinda)

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next

Melinda did not react to the sympathetic tone in Diane's voice, save for a subtle quirk in her lip.  Her fingertips were still interlaced, her eyes maintaining their contact to Diane's, sifting the careful choreography she took to be the woman's visage.

"She wasn't the first," she said finally, "And you are right, she wasn't the last... There is a special power in children.  Something so delicate and so resilient - what they can survive, and what they cannot.  There is a lesson in that".

Her eyes lifted. The rain had slowed to a delicate sprinkle, the heavy downpour at a momentary standstill.  Yet still the storm lurked.

"How far do you intend for this story to go, Diane?" she still was watching the storm, "All the way to the end? Or has just that been enough to satisfy you?"

Diane sat a little straighter, if straighter was the word. Her posture was never short of excellent. The momentary lapse in the downpour permitted her a moment to extend her hand under the rim of the umbrella and test the cold air. It was an early fall storm, the first of August, which hastened the changing seasons.

"It is a start." Diane said. "- A slow start," she added, "But a start nonetheless to satiating my curiosity."

Now, Diane stood. Her shoes clicked on the wet pavement. She crossed the distance between herself and her guest and sat down again, no longer opposed to Melinda. She closed her umbrella, tapped it and closed it, and sat down beside Melinda under the stone gazebo. She sat so close that it would seem to any onlooker the company of sisters. The smell of Diane's navy blue clothes, perfumed, but not as one might expect of someone so high-born as she, now draped Melinda with a fair and lighty fragrance. Then, Diane rested her hand upon Melinda's over that coyly hidden mudstain. Diane's hand was so soft, so gentle, and so warm. So human was her touch that any alternative shape it might've possessed could only be imaginary.

"So," Diane said. "You were an orphan in a distant land, and became the friend of my kind by no fault of your own. Tell me more."

Melinda did not move as Diane had, but remained in a stature befitting of a statue. So perfect was her imitation, that she had not so much as flinched to Diane's touch, and looked upwards to her face with such rapt attention that no doubt her every word had been made of note.  Neither ease nor concern was made apparent, yet a world-weariness all the same curved the edge of her lips just so, and the color of her eyes seemed all the greyer against the stormy sky.

"Slow indeed the start, and yet slow was my coming into your world... you will forgive me for it, and perhaps forgive me for the next installment.  My childhood was as much peace as I'd ever know in this life, and though I can tell you of its tragedies, they were but a small part of a grander web.  Would you fault me if I told you of the spider, rather than the fly? For I think to know one, you must indeed know the other".

A glint of lightning sparked at the horizon. The grey of her eyes became silver in the momentary light.  No thunder followed...

"I need to tell you of Enigma, Diane, when I know there are no ears or eyes besides our own and the dead’s.  It is my story as much as their own, for they very much made me who I am today.  If such is your interest, then we must take a detour…”

Diane held Melinda's eyes with her own. Far away, a torrent of rain broke through the clouds.

"I am as invested as I can be." Diane said.  "Lead on."

Melinda nodded and raised her face to the sky, "Enigma is old. Perhaps not as old as your pack, but older nonetheless than either of us. To my understanding, it came about from remnants of the codebreakers following the second World War.  What you need to know of this is that it was made of the bitter losers stranded from mainstream political alliances, and such conditions can breed the most bitter of innovation.

They came to know your kind quite quickly, and their potential for destruction.  To speak frankly, a weapon to be created and then controlled..."

Melinda's eyes turned to Diane's, to gauge the interest of the other woman's expression, "But where they may have had the edge in knowledge, still too their capacity is limited.  Imagining yourself an organization as such, you would find it turns to subtle influence - espionage, blackmail, fraud - rather than outright conflict.  They would not have the strength to take a pack.  Or even to convince their own men and women to agree to be an experiment..."

Melinda's lips twisted, "But as I have said, in children there is a special power to what they can survive and what they cannot.  Children's hearts are open, and they tend to trust what they are told.  Enigma knows this.  And thus you find my sister, the crowning jewel of all their efforts".

"I had told you there are no miracles in my story - except one.  But even that was a lie, Diane.  My life has been no miracle.  I was a sickly child who would not have survived if not for the medicine her caretakers acquired. Except, this medicine would not have been available to her country for some time... and in their desperation to save her, who might have heard the pleas of a sick child?"

"Who might, indeed?  You ask for my story, but there are parts I do not know.  I know that it was Enigma who saw to the access of the medicine that saved me. I know they are not known for their charity.  And I know I crossed paths with them a decade later, to the great consequence of the other children in my home, as though they had known exactly where to look for me... in supposing this, then I am an experiment as well. To what capacity, I cannot say, only that the possibility exists as such".

Whatever was gentle and human in Diane's touch yielded no emotion, save one of kindness, to Melinda.

"I am sorry that you have become entangled in this web." Diane said softly. "And yet, not so sorry as to regret my first offer to you. You have insisted that your humanity is your greatest weapon, and I am now of the opinion to agree with you.  Surely, had the roles been reversed, their weapon would be far less chaotic, and far too cunning for them to control."

"But now, I must ask, what shall come of bringing these two entities together? Should Enigma become known, what resources would we lend to those who desire to enslave and control our race?"

In the sudden stillness that had come between bouts of rain, a gust of wind blew in the next. A trickle followed, soon to a steady beat of raindrops which fell upon the gravestones in a beat not unlike a march. Were it not for the shelter of the stone gazebo, sending thin streams of water down its sides into an ever-amassing pool, then she would have been soaked in moments. In this change of weather, one might assume it had taken Melinda by pause and as such she had lapsed for a moment in answering. Yet to the trained eye, one would have noted the quietness had descended upon her moments earlier. As she gazed upwards, lightning once more flashed upon the horizon and her eyes became a brilliant silver in the wicked light - at once sobered, and perhaps a little afraid.

"It is a question," she said at last, "I have asked myself often.  And it is why I have agreed to come meet with you, and speak of my own history as frankly as I may.

In this world, a woman such as myself finds few allies.  Those I may obtain are likely just as vulnerable as I and may be incapacitated just as easily. In this world I, have fought for every scrap of power I have to my name and been given none of it.  Perhaps in my younger years I found myself bitter for it, but I know I find myself afraid. Afraid, that I may be easily tossed aside from this world as easily as one might pluck a flower, before I have finished what I need to..."

She met Diane's eyes, studying their depths for any discernment of emotion of intent.

"The resources you might offer Enigma would be immeasurable.  They have few allies besides themselves and have come by their affluence one piece at a time. To say that the support of your pack would speed up their development and innovation is an understatement. I would have no doubt within five years they would achieve their research goals".

Her lips drew taught, "And they would achieve them, surely, at the expense of the vulnerable.  It would not be your pack that suffers, but the desperate, the alone, and the vulnerable.  Perhaps none would miss a loss such as that.  But then again, what would have come instead if my life had been ended prematurely? And what would come if that loss were multiplied by hundreds?"

Thunder crackled upon the horizon. Surely, now, the lightning was a great distance away for the thunder had not followed for many breaths.  Still, Melinda waited it out several moments more.

"I come here not for the benefit of Engima, but for the benefit of myself and others who were once, are, and will be like me.  Do you understand?"

Diane's lips parted, as if she would speak, but followed the motion with a pause. The thunder came loudly rolling now to the trepidation of every stone in the cemetery. Then Diane spoke.

"You seek an end to Enigma?" She asked, her voice piqued with interest and the lightening danced in her green eyes.

Melinda's expression was guarded to the question - hwo could she not be?  Yet in meeting Diane's eyes, near-imperceptibly, her head tilted forward.  For a woman as particular with her every word and motion, it surely had not been an accident.

"What would you say to that?" she asked.

Diane tilted her head back and was thoughtful.

"I would say you like living dangerously." She said, after a moment. "Shall I see another piece of promise dashed against the stones?"

Diane sat a little straighter and gently stroked Melinda's hand before she withdrew hers to her lap.
"There is nothing so distasteful to me as potential unrealized, and people are the very best potential this world has to offer. If I understand you correctly, there will be no end to your Enigma without its Key of Destruction... This, you intend yourself to be, to your own detriment. And shall I be its conveyor?"

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next