Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Transitions (CA - Uno, Mark, & the Shepherds)

PreviousPage 3 of 9Next

I watched the exchange tersely. I didn't entirely catch what was happening, but the tension was palpable enough that I debated if I should politely exit out the front door. But Chapman hadn't said to, and I had the sense he had more tricks up his sleeve before he let me loose for the night.

I watched both gentlemen go as well. I knew better than to ask what that was about. I was sure I'd find out when I needed to.

"I'm fine," I said, "I can head out, if you need to prepare for your company".

"No, no, by all means. I haven't quite let go of this conversation on Lyra." he said bluntly, with some humor in his tone nonetheless.

Bob prepared a jack and coke and a rum and coke.

"Any time there's a change in leadership, there will be tension. It's completely unavoidable. Whether that be due to the fact someone wanted the promotion, or bad blood between the new leader and someone who was once a peer... as is the case of Reggie and Clay. I'll talk with Reggie tomorrow and see if I can't smooth it over..."

The drinks were prepared, and Chapman brought them into the living the room and passed the jack and coke to Val, then took a seat on the couch with a quiet grunt. He pinched the inner corners of his thick gray brows.

"We announced Clay as Chief a while ago, but I can see he's not easing into it. Clay has the buy in from the rest of the team, but the tension you feel was a subtle challenge from Reggie. He didn't respond to Clay's introduction and therefore, was attempting to scourge Clay in front of his new Captain. The offense has implications to both our humanity and our beast."

Bob shook the glass so the ice cubes clanked around a moment, before taking a long sip.

"So, tell me about you and this Lyra. She's caught your attention?"

I nodded as Chapman described the unit's dynamics. It made sense at least, however it spoke to Reggie's character.

"So I suppose I may continue to receive a less-than-warm regard from Reggie, as I'm taking the new leader's previous posting..." I mused, "Well, good to know it isn't personal".

I looked at the drink, sniffed it, and took a delicate drink. I guess I shouldn't have expected Chapman to drop the matter with Lyra. I'd partly depended on it. It still didn't stop the prickle of heat at my collar.

"Yeah, like I said I met her just a month ago. It was a coincidence," I shrugged, "Robin had been encouraging me to make friendships outside of just her and you. I wound up helping her train her dog, and then I realized what she was looking for. Now I'm not sure what to do".

"You likely won't receive any such contempt from Reggie. He's generally level headed and very compassionate by nature. His problem is that he wears his heart on his sleeve. He and Clay have always locked horns. Reggie has no interest in the position himself - he would have preferred for Mercer or Tara to have it, or for us to pull from one of our other sources."

Now he was silent, considering what Val said about Lyra. Nothing was hidden to a werewolf keen on using their abilities. The raise in their pulse, the change in someones body temperature, sweat - which had any given number of odors depending on the cause, be it from anxiety or strenuous activity, were all indicators of emotion.

"We don't know exactly how much she saw that day. When the unsuspecting see things out of the ordinary, their first instinct is to explain it in a way that makes it possible. However, she's intelligent and tenacious - a couple of the reasons we brought her onto our force... and I'm certain the answers she came upon never satisfied her."

"There needs to be trust established before one can go revealing their nature to another.. for the safety of both. Sometimes, they come into it before you get the opportunity. You have to time it right and make sure they realize they must be silent to protect someone close to them. At this point, you're probably better off keeping close to her, because you know what she's looking for-you can redirect her until the time is right."

I saw a look in Chapman's eyes that told me more than anything he could say.  The little prickle at the base of my neck grew, but I staggered it with a slow measured sip of the rum and coke.  He wouldn't catch me acknowledging it, and if he didn't likewise, then may as well not say more than I meant to.

Besides, this wasn't about me.  And at least both Chapman and I knew that.

Kind of.

".... I'm going to take a wild guess she won't buy any lie that I can come up with.  I tried the giant bear-thing but," I looked at the measured blue of Chapman's eyes, "I'm still not sure it's a good idea to keep close. Just being around her could attract more of the not-so-nice members of our kind.  It's like anything you do, or don't do, could endanger that person..."

I clattered the ice-cubes in the beverage, hesitating.  I hadn't mentioned much of before. Not Steele before but the Before before.

"I guess I don't understand someone that stays at the threshold that long, or what to do. For me, it was over in an instant.  I woke up one day thinking werewolves were just a horror movie, and then the next mine was one.  There was no lingering. When Steele intervened, I was already on the other side.  There was no finesse needed for that".

I stared at the ice cubes, "Honestly, I'm a mess with finesse.  I have two left-feet when I dance, and I'm just worried I'll trip on the dancefloor and ruin it".

"You're going to be working in the same vicinity. We've existed alongside men since the dawn of our time. It's time to learn to practice a bit of finesse. You're more skilled than you give yourself credit for."

Bob took another long sip.

"Dancing helps!" he said, both eyebrows raised now, pointing a finger. "I mean, with stealth. Take her dancing. Get some of those jitters out. Take yourself dancing." he shrugged. "Can't hurt."

I choked on my drink as Chapman spoke, "What?"

I gulped down whatever hadn't hit my lungs and wheezed out the rest, "It's a metaphor Bob, there's no actual dancing involved..."

If I thought I was going to sit in awkward silence with that lingering thought, I was in luck.  The head-beams of a car had just parked out on the driveway.  I waited in suspense, curious who Chapman's mysterious guest would be.

Mark waited in his Buick Century a moment, his hands on the wheel even after he switched off the ignition. Like maybe he still had a chance to fire up the engine and retreat. No blinds had flickered in the house when he pulled up. Maybe no one had noticed he was there yet. He could still pull out of the driveway, go back to the hotel, call Mr. Chapman--er, Bob--and make his excuses.

But the impulsive voice that had agreed to meeting Bianca and her friends, and staying with the Chapmans, hadn't let go of him yet. Mark wondered if it ever would. He found himself making decisions and feeling utterly detached from them. As if there would be no consequence one way or the other. As if it could all end tomorrow and none for the worse.

He shivered. That sort of thinking was exactly why he needed to stay with somebody. Perhaps the impulsive voice was some kind of survival mechanism. He'd studied and worked long enough in his field to recognize depression and dangerous paths of thinking in others. He'd dedicated his life to helping people out of those paths. Perhaps some part of him was recognizing it in himself, too, and for all his training, was kicking into gear to save himself. So he went with it. It knew best. Stay with someone, not Natalie, who was close enough to understand his grief but distant enough to not be dragged in the undertow with him. Give himself purpose again, get back to work. Chapman was a Godsend, really.

He needed this.

It felt like an eternity, but it had only been a minute or two. He let the steering wheel go and got out of the car. He straightened his jacket, and thought to fetch his luggage from the trunk. But he didn't. Not yet. Could still back out. Maybe Chapman could have changed his mind before he got there.

So he went to the door and knocked.

Bob laughed wholeheartedly to see Val’s reaction. ”I try to lighten the mood and nearly kill you! Hahaha… oops. Thats one way to inititate you, I suppose.”

His eyes went to the windows and he stood, setting down the drink and moving to the door.

“Mark! Glad to see you came.” Always a loud, excited boom, always a smile. Bob looked him over, “Do you need help with your bags?” He looked in the direction of the car with some concern.

I waited where I sat while Chapman went to answer the door.  I was certainly curious about his guest but didn't want to impose.  I was struck by two things: he was human, and he was evidently staying the night. I lifted an eyebrow, but otherwise waited. I still wasn't quite sure if he was done with me tonight. With Chapman, it was best to wait and see.

PreviousPage 3 of 9Next