Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

The House of the Haunted (CA - Tiffany & Ionone)

PreviousPage 5 of 7Next

In a few short minutes, the trio had set off. The sun had not yet reached the apex of the sky, leaving much of the day yet to explore. However, the mist which clung to the trees in the cool air gave the impression of an hour both far earlier and later than it seemed. Though the mist could not obscure the senses of werewolves even in their human form, it nontheless lent to an unsettling air. Ionone did not comment upon it.

As though proceeded, it became obvious that Ionone was not leading them towards the train tracks. Instead, she led them higher and higher on the hill. This made their course less accessible. In places they need pause to rest. When they had reached the crown of the hill, she gazed down upon the land for signs of civilization. She could just barely spy the winding path of the train tracks which coiled the neighboring peak like a snake. It was a long way off from their present course. She gazed as far as her eyes could see to determine its direction, then narrowed her gaze.

She instructed both John and Tiffany to rest and took off to the brush. When she returned, she brought back two bloodied rabbits in her palms. She gazed upwards and narrowed her gaze on John. Evidentially whatever word had come to mind was none too kind, and thus averted her gaze quickly. The boy's presence had ceased to exist for herself.

"If you can stomach it raw, it should allow you to recover your strength..." she handed one of her knives to Tiffany in offering, "Afterwards, we should set off in the direction of the tracks. I do not think we will be able to reach them directly, however, without wasting significant energy..."

Both Tiffany and John took the opportunity to sit down quite seriously. They each found a rock some way from sight of the edge and leaned on their knees to catch their breath.

It was at this time that John noticed Tiffany was looking somewhat pale from the climb and offered the first word of consideration to her since learning of her true identity. She was, after all, looking quite human for the moment.

"Are you alright?" John said, still catching his breath.

Tiffany glanced up from beneath the wild tossed curls on her head and smiled. "Sure, sugar." She said. "Don't worry about me."

John took Tiffany at her word and looked around at the scene, keeping an eye out for when Ionone should return. When she appeared with her rabbits in hand, John stood up to greet her. Perhaps contrary to what was expected of him, John looked somewhat relieved and even a bit pleased to see the kill. He aldo seemed absolutely oblivious to her obvious disdain of him.

"Oh, coney, eh?" John muttered with some interest. He made a motion with his hands to indicate the hunted game and came forward a step to get one of the dead animals, - if Ionone would give it up. He was already thinking of a good way to start a fire when Ionone said 'raw'..

No, it was Tiffany, in fact, who looked up and grimaced. She was looking much better now for the rest, but the dead game inspired a look partway between sorry for herself, sorry for Ionone's effort, and sorry for the poor rabbits. Nonetheless, she understood the necessity of it, and thankfully Ionone had a knife. Tiffany took what was offered to her and began looking for a way to skin the animal.

"No fire," Ionone held up her hands and pulled the rabbit away as John reached for it, "We can't risk your little friends finding us".

She provided no means of explanation and began to skin hers, drawing out strips of rabbit pelt with the expert sweep of her blade.  The work was gruesome, but the practiced hand made quick work of it. When Tiffanny seemed to be struggling to do likewise, she assissted and ensured the flesh was layed out as cleanly as it might be.

John continued to show more interest in skinning rabbits than he wanted to let on. He was simply too hungry, and too curious to be dissuaded by the dirty work. Truly, he seemed to lurk over the women's heads, searching for any opportunity to assist them with it. And Tiffany would gladly have handed it off to him, had not Ionone intercepted it and taken much of the work upon herself.

John, therefore, had to content himself by watching Ionone skin one rabbit and then the next with just one hand, utilizing her feet and toes to do so. Her dexterity amazed him, as did her proficiency. The mess was just a byproduct of the mastery of necessity, as far as John was concerned.

When the rabbits were properly gutted and skinned, Tiffany was given one, and Ionone took the other. It was at that moment when John finally realized he was forgotten. Then, his heart sank like a stone into his empty stomach, and he was about to slink off to sit on a stone and mope, when Tiffany divided her portion and offered him part.

"Oh!" John said. He jumped up and collected the raw animal with a grateful, "Thanks!" Then he sat down, close to Tiffany's side, and began to eat.

"Oh, oh that's - that's -" John began after one bite, and continued, even as he swallowed and took another.

"That's not what I expected." He said. "But it's not bad. No, not bad at all."

"It's like... well. It's like undercooked chicken, isn't it? But without the spices." John went on, thinking out loud as he chewed. "A bit tougher... maybe.  A bit gamier than chicken... And it's got - its got a bit of a different flavor."

No matter what the flavor, however, John put every bite of the rabbit thigh away.

Tiffany didn't bother watching John eat, but she was happy to know he was eating. She saved a fair portion for herself, recognizing of course, that she was able to make more use of the bones and organs of the animal than he, and therefore she gave him the better meat. It was not at all an appetizing meal, but having gone a day and a half without anything to eat made it wholesome and appetizing in its own way.

Tiffany learned a long time ago that it was best not to think of these things in a human way. John had no qualms with survival. It seemed to suit him. But even he would not touch the bones, kidneys, and livers of wild rabbits.

Once the meal was finished, Ionone did not linger. She led their small group further through the woods. Here the tops of the trees were impossibly thick to see through, obscuring the sunlight above. No saplings grew, for there was scant light to survive upon. The underbrush was thick with a kind of creeping vine, mosses, and a few pathetic bushes. Ionone periodically would need to pause and ascend a tree in order to confirm the direction they traveled - otherwise, they easily could have gone in circles in the same stretch of woods without the sun's guidance.

So, they proceeded, slow and cautious, but lingering in no place longer than absolutely necessary. She did not hunt again, though her body would not object to the calories. She disliked the feeling of standing still, and still could not shake the crawling dread she had felt this entire trip: something was waiting for them, and if they waited, it would catch them. She did not voice the concern, but she supposed Tiffany would have suspected it. John, of course, was too foolish to notice his left hand from his right hand and could easily be led off a cliff.

They continued until dark. Had they not had John in tow, Ionone might have preferred to move in the coolness of night rather than freeze when they slept in it. Yet she knew a human's eyes would struggle to find the right footing in the poor lighting. And she knew Tiffany would insist they not leave John in the woods - thus, she had determined they would not move as the kitsunes had taught her.

They set shelter in the center of a grove of pines. She found security in the tall giants and knew she could ascend them at a moment's notice if required. The trunks of the trees, as well, provided shelter in their own way. She secured the shelter further with several large, fallen branches against three of the trees in line. She layered each until they were well-interwoven and covered it further with dirt and dead leaves. It rose not even three feet, although Ionone knew if they curled together tightly it would likely block the worst of the wind as it blew.

She motioned to John. Perhaps the sudden recognition would catch him at unawares. Yet there was nothing reassuring in it. He was a dead weight, and in that motion, she was certain he knew it.

John was a dead weight even to himself, and after a long day of travel he was more than happy to put himself away. John took to it the minute Ionone was finished with the windbreak.

Tiffany was equally exhausted by the end of the day. The lingering feeling that the trouble behind them was not entirely over kept an uneasy presence in her mind. In light of the feeling, or perhaps despite it, Tiffany couldn't find rest but she settled down on the ground near John and the windbreak all the same.

The night sounds came on, with creeping creatures and night-birds and all. John was asleep in minutes, as he was not one for conversation after a long day. Tiffany lay on her chest on the forest floor with her arms folded one over the other, her chin rested on top of them. Her eyes were weary, but they strayed to that friend of hers from long ago, and did not fall.

Ionone watched as John fell asleep. Her gaze lingered. By her grandfather's training, she could see a hundred ways to kill such a target. However, as Tiffany's gaze met hers, she declined to share them.  She could tell John in the morning, besides, should her morale require it.

"Are you well?" she asked. She could not find the words she searched for... this, a polite greeting, had seemed the most suiting. But as well, she concerned her companion had not fared well...

She concerned not just for the last few days, but for the last decade.  To have placed her life so precarious that she would call for an old friend she had not spoken to in decades spoke poorly of her current state of affairs. That her fears had not been unfounded, and no less resulted in their present circumstances, spoke more than any words. But so she asked it, polite on the surface, for she did not know how else to breach the divide of a decade they had been satellites to the others life.

Tiffany at length looked away. "Yeah, sugar." She said and sighed softly, in a way that said, 'No, not really.'

"I said I was sorry for getting you involved in all this," Tiffany said. "But, thank you for coming... I've been wondering, what happened to you after high school?"

Ionone watched the rise and fall of John's chest, but she could detect nothing that would indicate he was in any way conscious. The boy was asleep. Instantly so, without a concern in the world for who surrounded him. Despite all his shortcomings, Ionone could not help but envy him even a little for it.

Her attention returned to Tiffany, feeling all the years of their absence weigh on her at once.  Gone were the days where they braided hair, skulked in the school hallways, and terrorized the local bullies with well-aimed (and secretive) attacks. Their adult years were one of constant war - against family, pack, friends, lovers, and traumas.  They would not be easily forgotten.

Still, she could not deny Tiffany. She had risked her life to save her on no more than a phone call... surely, she could spare her these words.

"The same that happened to you, I'm sure. We don't stay children forever.  And my family has expectations for all their children..."

Her expression narrowed, again to John - again, detecting nothing, "After the incident, I spent many years recovering... I became a disappointment that I could not perform what I was trained to do. I learned to compensate, but it no longer suited me as it once had. As was only natural, I suppose, I decided to excel in other areas. I went to school and earned a PhD in Genetics and Genomics".

The woman shrugged, "I found it suited me, in the end, to learn a little bit more about the stitching that makes us".

She waited. Her eyes shifted just so, catching the light so they appeared almost blue, "And what of you.... why does Gabe want you dead?"

PreviousPage 5 of 7Next