Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

The House of the Haunted (CA - Tiffany & Ionone)

PreviousPage 3 of 7Next

"I have," Ionone found the quietest moment to speak, when all had gone still.

She stood up, unfurling her legs, and looked down at John again with the unyielding gaze of hers. She was equally as bedraggled as the rest of them, now dressed only in a slim-fitting black long-sleeved shirt with several holes from where the rocks had cut into it. The purple sash at her waste had been lost somewhere in the mines. Her trousers, now-dried, hung limp and stiff in their many folds. She wore no shoes. Her hair fell in tangled lumps of still-damp hair.  And yet there was a readiness in her all the same, that if action were to be called upon her in just that moment, she would be prepared for it.

"I'm the little knife in the dark that killed the real monsters before your kind even thought to hunt them," she whispered, drawing a curt look to her left shoulder - where her left arm ended in the tied-off length of her sleeve, "If you think what you hunted were monsters, then you have seen nothing. There are those who were turned against their will and are driven to madness and savagery, and take delight in hunting all that moves. There have been wars fought, on a magnitude you cannot comprehend, for when our bodies are made to be weapons it is only destruction that follows. There are those who form groups of likeminded evil, and seek to rule cities with fear and death.  If you think it is Tiffany who is the monster here, then you have seen nothing. You are but a child".

"You're all monsters! See, you've proven my point - You can literally grow teeth longer than my pinky finger - how does that happen? How do you go from being a smiling person to a - a - a boogly-fanged monster?" John carried on as if he never missed a beat, but clearly something had gone over his head. "Do you eat flesh? - Have you? Is that something you've done as well? Bones and all? - How does a whole human being get chopped up and sit in your belly when you're so skinny? - When you look human yourself - or can you not unless fanged and furry?"

"Listen, sugar, no one's going to eat you. It's like I said, we're going to get you home." Tiffany felt to end the conversation there. Somehow, allowing John and Ionone to hash it out on exhaustion and a short fuse seemed like a bad idea.

"Now," Tiffany said, "I don't like the idea of sleeping by this window tonight. Maybe Douglas died in that mine, but maybe he didn't. The fella has wicked good aim, and still he's not as good a shot as Al. In this room, with all these shadows, sugar, he could easily mistake you for one of us. So let's go."

John mumbled and fumbled around before he decided to join Tiffany by the door. He wasn't keen on exploring in the dark, but a house was far better than the woods. So he introduced himself to the hallway and found the stairs.

Tiffany watched him go down the hall and whispered to Ionone, "I didn't know Douglas was wolf-born until last night... he can track us by scent."

Ionone said nothing to John's objection, but only gazed shallowly upon him with her amusement in the situation long-spent. As the light continued to dim, so indeed did her eyes faintly reflect back that scant light - creating an entirely monstrous affect. This, no doubt, did little to comfort John fears. And Ionone found no reason in herself to correct him for his misgivings.

She was more than happy to trail besides the exploration crew as little more than a shadow, yet for Tiffany's words to catch her sideways.  She stiffened at once, her expression turning guarded.

"If I had known, I would have taken at least some steps to obscure our trail better," she muttered voicelessly, not allowing the tone to raise enough to catch John's interest, "Yet if he has survived, he will face the same issues as we have regardless.  Perhaps his own survival will be of better interest than to chase his prey to the ends of the earth..."

Ionone had said it as a ray of hope to her spent companion, and yet optimism was rarely within the toolset of a kitsune; thus, she could not find it in herself to trust it.  Precautions would need be taken, for now their presence in this dwelling could not be hidden by its natural seclusion.

"Let us try the stairs," she said louder to all, yet with half a nod to Tiffany as she did so. Higher ground would be much more defensible, although the bats may come to agree with them shortly.

Tiffany agreed with the direction, and led the way behind John, who seemed most present-minded to hold the front of the line by some five feet distance. As they ascended the stairs, Tiffany whispered to Ionone. "I'm sorry," she said, "I'm sorry for dragging you into this. If you hadn't come, though, I know I'd still be in that mine."

Tiffany knew now without a doubt that Gabriel, and all his profusion of love for her, never intended for her to return from the Turbulance mine. For whatever reason, be it love for some other, or some reason yet unknown, he no longer needed her. Tiffany felt it in her heart before she went, and acting on that instinct brought Ionone into the scene. As yet, it was uncertain how the Baltronan war-scout became involved, but certainly if neither Ionone nor Actaeon had come, Tiffany's final rest would be at the bottom of the Turbulance mine.

John was another piece to the unfolding puzzle. His part seemed just as much happenstance as all the rest. John was by no means a fully fledged werewolf hunter. His acquaintanceship with Tiffany was limited to the few times he joined the hunters for poker. What he knew about werewolves was a falsified mixture of overexaggerated tales spun by the other hunters and some logistic details he picked up on his own. To Tiffany, he was nothing but a kid who, by the misfortune of his relations, was tied in with the wrong crowd. George and the others must have thought he'd be safe, hiding in the lower tunnels, and if not for Ionone he probably was. Now, by many odd turns of hand, John was a captive of the hunter's captives.

Ionone naturally took the point position, her steps delicate and careful. The cobwebs had already been cleared on her original investigation, yet still they lingered in corners. There was the damp smell of must and mold, a lingering thing that had spent too long in a stale air.  Her expression didn't change to Tiffany's words, yet she merely shook her head.

"Don't be," she said quietly, "There are few justices in this world... let this be one of them".

Such a strange thing for a kitsune to say, wasn't it? She, a family of assassins, the monsters sent to kill even greater monsters.  Surely her grandfather might have claimed there was no justice, only the hand which held the dagger.  But what was the point in strength if it's purpose was only its own? What was the point in a woman like Tiffany being left alone in the mines with no one to know her final resting place?

These questions Ionone contemplated and more - with the 'more' being a far pressing matter that overshadowed such philosophical debates.  They had arrived to the top of the stairs.  The stood at the top of a long hallway with three doors branching to the right, one straight ahead, and two to the left.  A chord dangled from the sealing, attached to a slab of wood, and was no doubt the bat-infested attic that had been mentioned.

Nothing had disturbed this place for a long time. Only the subtle presence of Ionone's passing was noted in the disruption of dust and grime.

"The attic would have the highest vantage," Ionone noted, "But I'm sure our little friend would object to rabid bats... There are bedrooms to the right. They are near the windows, but the ivy has overgrown them - nothing will see us, but so too will we see very little through them".

"I'm alright with that." Tiffany said. She motioned to one of the rooms, and John pensively went in. He was much more like a child in this response, lowering his chin and looking lost. Remembering now, perhaps, the Tiffany he knew and forgetting the claws she hid away. Tiffany herself forgot those claws for a moment, for they were far from accessible to her. She was, in the deepest parts and fibers of her body so utterly exhausted and so strangely disconnected from the power she took for granted. It was an awful, ugly feeling, and Tiffany wondered perhaps if this is what it felt like to be human. She slipped into the room behind John as quietly as a mouse and made no mention of it.

John entered the room hesitantly. He couldn't see anything at all. He came upon the bed on a sudden, bumping into it with his knee and falling down on it. At first intending to arise in haste, but finding the mattress both firm and soft and not at all disagreeable, he soon gave to it and was fast asleep almost before he was willing.
For Tiffany, it was a different venture. For though no light could enter the room for the thickness of the vines outside the window, yet could Tiffany see the room illuminated in a dull blue hue.

How queer to find a room so untouched by time, thought Tiffany. It was a little room, with a little bed, all laid out and made ready in Victorian design. So clean, and so homey, it was almost impossible to think the room hadn't been slept in how many unknown years. But for her own exhaustion, Tiffany might have allowed herself to wonder. She might have also considered exploring the other rooms and finding herself a spot as comfortable as John. But Tiffany gave no more thought to comfort than to sit down on the small Victorian couch in the corner.

And that simply was the night. Tiffany remembered no more of it til a beam of light, catching her wild blond curls, stirred her from sleep. Softly, she blinked her eyes in the light. She studied the little hole through which it came. Then she roused and looked about. John was still asleep, but Ionone was nowhere to be seen.

In the restless shadows of night, Ionone found no rest. The daughter of a kitsune ought always find solace in her element.  Yet it was so. Though her eyes might perceive the darkness with the same clarity she might in daylight, still she could not help but see things which were not there.  Where in the belly of the mountain she roamed, constantly pursued by hunters - led by one who shared her blood, but not her form.

Her heart would not still.  Her grandfather sneered from the shadows, that child of his blood would be made prey to the likes of a werewolf hunter.  She would not dare wake her companions for it, knowing it only the likes of her own imagination, yet even so endured it in silent suffering.  After determining that the room was secured from any possible threat (including rabid bats), Ionone crept back out of the house.

She found her posting, ultimately, upon a small ledge of the residence where the ivy had not yet engulfed it entirely.  While inside she had found the darkness a threat, beneath the stars, moon, and trees she found familiarity.  Here she had the advantage to see with the greatest distance, while still remaining relatively hidden.

Towards daybreak she rested lightly, but in the waking sleep her grandfather had taught her for when she strayed into enemy territory. She knew in such a manner she could subsist for a week with naught more than a few hours of aware rest without consequence to her performance.

The morning was quiet. There were mountain birds singing outside, and a scuffle now and then in the house. John still slept soundlessly on the bed.

Tiffany looked back at the little hole in the ivy over the window, and the single stream of light it let in on the couch. Her mind drifted, then, to the light she saw in the mine and she reflected on the peace that accompanied it... That was death. She knew it was. But what was the love she felt? Was that God?

Tiffany's hands were in her lap. She looked at the door. Then she looked at her hands. Waves of cascading curls fell down over her shoulders. There was a lot to think about. The most pressing thought was Pinerich City.  There would be a lot of distance to cover, a lot of woods to go through, and all sorts of rugged mountain terrain to climb. And then, after all that, there would be questions to ask, superiors to inform, and confrontations to make... The old life was waiting.
Somehow, here in the mountains, there was a disconnect from all the seemingly important things of that tiring lifestyle; the competitions and rivalry, the petty games people play, and the fake relationships. What did it all matter anyway?

Tiffany looked at John, sleeping still. She smiled. Ionone could have killed him. Easily. But she did not. Now, they were both still alive for some mysterious reason, known perhaps only to the universe.
And what was this place? Tiffany's eyes strayed up along the weather-worn walls and to the ceiling. Then she looked to the hall. There had to be some clue about who used to live here... 

Quietly, Tiffany rose at last and left the room.

PreviousPage 3 of 7Next