Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Silk Threads (CA - Silas & Zander)

PreviousPage 15 of 16Next

“Sorry, I, yes, sorry.”

I pulled the door open and left the room. Being here put me on edge. I’d talk to Chapman and leave right away. No... I'd just leave. He could gather enough information from Zander.

There was a grill going. I could smell steaks and ribs. For breakfast…? I ran a hand through the brown mop on my head and searched for a clock. I found one just down the stairs in the hallway. 12:45PM. I’d slept fourteen hours.

My bosses were livid by now. Or popping champagne bottles. I began towards the front door. I needed to leave.

”We had an agreement.“ Robert called from the patio.

He had the sliding door open and was flipping a steak. I ducked my head and crept to the couch, sitting and picking at the fabric on my knees while looking towards the stairs for Zander.

In the daylight, the house looked different to me. It was immaculately kept, although not in a magazine catalogue kind of way. People lived here, but those people were clean people. I looked at pictures of a little girls, pictures of an older woman and the man, pictures of babies freshly swaddled. This man, the one that had brought us here, wasn't just a police officer. He hadn't brought us to a hotel. He had brought us to his family's house.

I didn't know what to do with that just yet. Instead, my eyes watched Silas ahead of me. He was fidgeting. He wasn't grinning about rabbit sashimi - he looked downright uncomfortable.

Below, I noticed the man working on his grill. The smell of sizzling steak called to me, but the hunger was distant and removed. I was more curious by the home and the man, than I was by the food. It could wait. At the man's word, Silas slunk to the couch. He looked like a child called out by the principle.  None of it made sense. What had Silas agreed to?

I continued down the steps and looked out the sliding glass door to the man.

"Uh... thank you...." I watched him as he worked, then glanced behind me to Silas, "S-sorry, if you said your name I don't remember... I'm Zander".

"I'm Robert Chapman. I work with the Middlecrest police. You can call me Bob. It's nice to meet you, Zander. I'm sorry you're in this mess."

Bob offered Zander a genuine, bright white smile in a flash, and closed the top of the grill. He hung up the tongs and turned the heat down, wiping his hands on an apron before removing it and hanging it up on another hook.

"I'd like you to tell me everything that happened," he said, now closing the sliding door, "I want your perspective alone - from the time you met this man until last night. I know you don't have all of the information, that's alright."

I watched as Bob closed the sliding glass door behind me. It was more for symbolism, than anything else. I'd no doubt Silas would hear what I said.  I turned my head, downcast, studying the embroidered stick figures on the apron he'd just hung up.  This man had already shown us a lot of trust, and I wasn't sure why. I certainly hadn't come into his care with any reason to give it.

"My full name is Alexander Tres Lazarov... I'm seventeen years old. I'm a freshman in college. And the first time I ever met another werewolf was when I met Silas over a week ago at the library..."

I didn't skip on any details. How I met him. What he told me. Studying for finals. Following him to his car - which in retrospect, felt so stupid I wanted to kick my past self.  I'd been so desperate to know more.

Then I got to the parts that were murky and uncomfortable. Waking up in the trunk of a car. Being threatened by a terrifying old man with white hair and impossibly unyielding grey eyes. The large, tan werewolf and her scrappy human sidekick. The gunshot. In these places I had to pause, taking my time to steady myself before I continued. In a few places I almost started to cry again.

As I started to recount our two day plight on foot through the woods, the recounting felt murky. Had it really only been two days? I recalled two nights, but it had felt longer. I remembered taking my other form, and I remembered going too hard and hurting my ankle. Silas had made the splint, and we'd gone on foot until I recovered enough strength to take my second form again. Everything else I skipped in detailing. Including the rabbit. There was nothing to hide in it, but the words wouldn't come. I couldn't explain the feeling.

As I finished, I looked to my feet and felt unable to meet Bob's eyes. I didn't know why I felt ashamed, only that it burned in my chest and didn't dissipate. My mother had always said the truth would set you free - particularly when I was obscuring it to hide from her wrath. But in this case, I only felt more shackled by it. I didn't know what it meant, why I'd done what I had. I felt like I had just described a story I'd read in a book, rather than something that had really happened to me.

Bob only interjected to ask about Zander's parents, if they were werewolves, and a couple of other small, seemingly minor details. Otherwise he was quiet, never taking his eyes off Zander except for a moment when he plated the food.

They had been sitting a small square table underneath an umbrella. Chapman put the steak with the side of grilled veggie's in front of Zander when the boy had finished recounting the events, then he began inside. "Eat, you need your strength back. We'll get you back soon enough-the school has called you in as missing. I need to talk to your uh, friend, in private for a bit."

With that, Chapman disappeared inside, and took Silas off to another room-an office at the far end of the hall.

----

Talking to Chapman was a delicate dance between necessary truths-for Zander's sake- and necessary discretion-for mine. We were in an office, books clear to the ceiling behind the officer. The doors behind me were glass, but I had a feeling the room was soundproofed, since I couldn't hear anything outside of Chapman's voice.

"I have to go back." I concluded. I watched the officers eyes and he nodded solemnly. I felt a pit in my stomach. If I didn't go back, they'd come looking-betrayal came with punishments much worse than death. I knew, I'd personally helped oversee the tracking and recapture of those individuals.  Going back, regardless of my reservations, was safer than not.

While the attack definitely seemed facilitated by them, I could write it off as a deal gone south, and if they weren't entirely out to kill me, or if it was just that, I could play stupid enough that I might be safe for a while longer.

"Maybe, we can be of use to each other." Chapman said, with a glint in his eye. Somehow, I knew what he was about to say.

---

It was a couple of hours later when Silas came out. Chapman was still in the office. Just as Silas thought, it was soundproof - for the moment the door was closed, Chapman began making calls and Silas could see his mouth moving, but hear nothing.

---

"Zander?" I asked, looking around the house.

I was sitting at the table with a hot cup of tea I hadn't touched, and a small sugar cookie I'd only taken a small, polite bite out of. I stared out the window and watched as the day drifted by.

I'd missed my chemistry final. I don't know why that felt like the most terrible fact of it all, but it did. And at this rate I was inclined to miss the Roman History and Anthropology Linguistics exam tomorrow.  Not to mention all my notes, study guides, and books were sprawled out on the floor of a cabin I'd almost died in. I couldn't study even if I wanted to.

I didn't know what to do. Chapman hadn't said when I could return, and I had the sense it wasn't as straight forward as walking in the door.  I hoped no one had worried about my disappearance. Or worse, yet, what I would tell them. George had always been overprotective - would he accept whatever lie Chapman came up with?

So I sat, until I heard Silas stirring. I turned my head his direction and waved.

"Hey. There's snacks in the kitchen, if you want them..." my voice felt flat, no matter how hard I tried to make it sound cheerful..

I came to sit at the table and rest my elbows on it

"Chapman will come back out and talk with you in a bit. He said about an hour, maybe two." I glanced back towards the office - out of my sight from the current vantage.

"The long and short of it is that-you're a good kid Zander. I made a mistake approaching you-I'm not a good person, and I made a bad decision. I need to report back today, so..." I trailed off, then decided to change the subject,"He's calling your professors to try to get your tests pushed back a couple of weeks to retake them, he said he could pull a few strings -his daughter was on the student council or something, she knows a lot of the professors."

"Oh..."

I let the news sink in and turn, but it didn't seem to be doing anything.  Finals had felt like the most important thing for so long, and now suddenly, it didn't.  I wasn't sure if the sudden apathy was a symptom of shock, or something else.  I wanted to graduate and be the pride to my family, didn't I? I wanted to make a difference in the Anthropology world and discover new cultures, didn't I?

Didn't I?

I turned to Silas, looking him over.  It had all started and ended with him.  Maybe I should have felt angry or upset for it. Maybe I shouldn't ever want to look at him again. Maybe. But I didn't.

"I'm not sorry I met you," I said suddenly, "If you hadn't talked to me that day, Silas, I none of this would have happened. I wouldn't have known there's a whole world out there I don't know... I wouldn't know how to shift outside of the moon...Wouldn't know how that form is supposed to move..."

I ran my fingers through my hair, "Do you ever, I don't know, have those weird turns in life? And, if it hadn't happened, you'd just be slightly different - but it's the different that matters?" I turned aside, shaking my head, "And maybe today I'm not that much different, but maybe ten years from now... I..."

"I don't know. I'm not making sense. I can't make sense of where my head's at.. but I'm glad I met you".

I was disarmed by what Zander said. I listened, the uncomfortable sensation of being punched in the gut ever present. My eyes were misty and red and I looked away, wiping them.

Stupid kid - you realize I almost got you killed?

My jaw tightened and I covered a face with my hand while I gathered my composure. It was harder than I thought it'd be. My own parents weren't entirely glad I was born-and Zander was probably my first friend. Or at least, I saw him as a friend. Yes - I'm that pathetic.

After a few minutes I stood and looked at Zander. "You'll figure it out. Keep your head up, get lost in the woods every now and then. Be. Careful." I gave him the good ol' awkward gentle-shoulder punch and began towards the door.

I watched him go.  I probably wouldn't ever see him again.  And maybe that was for the best, and maybe our lives would each go on without a second thought for how the other was doing. But right now, I could feel the emotion clambering at my throat, the flush of something misty behind my eyes.

I was up at my feet and rushing after him as he went for the door. In a breath I was on him and probably about to get the breath knocked out of me for the sudden motion, but I didn't care. I wrapped my arms around him and gave a throaty sigh.

"And you... learn how to read a book, okay?" I managed, pulling away and giving him a stiff nod.  If this was goodbye, then the least I could do was return the favor of life-advice.

PreviousPage 15 of 16Next