Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Searching for Something (CA - Saber)

PreviousPage 6 of 12Next

Saber took a few strained breathes before answering. “ I’m okay, really.”
He lifted his head and looked at Jen seriously. “ If I look like I’m dying then you can call for help.” He said wearily.
He then leaned back in his chair, trying to straighten his posture to help his body out with the breathing process, still taking in deep breathes despite his airways narrowing passage. He rubbed at his neck and chest, the ich feeling getting to him.

Jen relented her stance and sat back down, but continued to watch Saber with concern.

"I'm really sorry," she said, not for the last time. "I had no idea that dried meat would be a problem. What was in it?"

Saber continued to take his time answering. After a moment he finally spoke.
“ Worcestershire sauce.” He breathed. “ I’m allergic to fish as well.” He concluded miserably.

Jen winced as new enlightenment dawned on her and the error was fully realized.

"Oh," she muttered, equally as miserable.

It was at that unfortunate moment that a tall woman with a speckled blue blouse noticed the pair. She lifted her face from a routine inspection of the shelves, having just set several books in order, and heard something of the commotion. Her concern, however, was not so much for the people as for the vile, polluting, corruptible material that sat inches from her precious books.

"Jenn Peters!"

Jen was accustomed to hearing her name called every so often, but the tone of the librarian's voice had her sitting at attention in a blink.

"How many times do I have to tell you food does not come in a library?"

Madeline Ripple swept over to the table in a heartbeat and began offloading all the produce into a trash bin, foremost went the bag of beef jerky.

Jen leapt up and quickly snatched what she could from Madeline's reach, the latter reposed herself with a hand on her hip, a look of scorn, and her waist-length hair dangling from side to side.

"This is the last time." Madeline said. She stuck the trash bin out toward Jen as Jen quickly disposed of the peach pits where Madaline could see them, but Jen refused to discard the rest.

"It goes in the trash or it leaves." Madeline insisted.

Jen didn't have the chance to explain the situation - every time she opened her mouth Madeline made another grab at the produce.

"Fine, fine!" Jen finally declared as rapidly as she could. "Just let me check this book out real quick."

Saber quietly watched the scene unfold as he continued to focus on getting enough air in his lungs.
At the scenes low, Saber finally took action and stood up. He felt his stomach churn from the movement, and he winced again at the pain from his injuries. He looked at Madeline Ripple, trying to put on as much politeness as his pained and tired body could manage.
“ I’m sorry,” now that she was close enough, he spied her name on her name tag.“ Miss Ripple... This is my fault. Jenn was just trying to get me something I could eat, and in her eagerness forgot food isn’t allowed in the library.” Saber gave a light smile. “ You know how she is...”
Saber turned back to Jenn and held out his hand, his smile fading back into exhaustion.
“ I can take the food while you check out your book.”

Jen looked at Saber with a look of awe and bewilderment, but she didn't think twice. She passed the food to his hand in an instant and grabbed her book off the table. Then she cast a pleasant albeit greatly exaggerated smile to Madeline.

The librarian looked between Jen and the stranger with a skeptical brow.

"Make it quick, or I'll call Tom Clerk." She said.

Jen gave Saber a grateful glance over her shoulder as she sprinted for the checkout counter. Madeline likewise went her own way, but unlike Madeline, Jen was sure to return quickly.

"Thank you for that." Jen said when she rejoined Saber a moment later.

Saber handed her the bag of food back.
“ Yeah, don't mention it.” He responded casually.

Jen shook her head with a smile and held her book with both hands.

"Keep it." She said. "Like I said, I know where to find all this stuff. And anyway, it's the least I can do after nearly killing you."

Jen rolled her eyes at herself and led the way toward the door.

"Don't believe anything she said, by the way - I brought a cup of coffee to the library once and some kid knocked it over." Jen sarcastically sneered over her shoulder in the direction of Madeline, but the expression was quickly replaced with an infectious smile and a soft look of concern. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Saber chuckled softly at Jenn's comment of nearly killing him.
Saber followed Jenn as she headed for the door, suppressing another cough from his dry narrow throat. Moving was a bit painful on his bruises and injuries, but he managed to hide it well enough.
Saber glanced at Jenn as she expressed her concerns about his well being. He looked away as he responded. “ I'm fine, my allergies to fish usually aren't that severe; Symptoms should be gone in an hour or so.”

Jen was comforted a little by Saber's perseverance as she pressed open the door. Outside, the warm sun and a chilly breeze greeted the two. Autumn sent a cascade of red and golden leaves scattering over the pavement at their feet.

"Brrr." Jenn hummed, rubbing her arms. "So, anything that's not dairy, nuts, or fish, right?"

PreviousPage 6 of 12Next