Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Searching for Something (CA - Saber)

PreviousPage 2 of 12Next

Saber eyed the bar Jenn had offered him in annoyance. “ I can't eat that….. I'm allergic.” He said irritably.

"Oh, I'm sorry." She said, retracting the offer.

Jen looked curiously at the young Asian man.

"What can you eat?"

Saber was still trying to bring his focus back to sifting through the search results on the screen, so it took him a moment to respond. He already knew the question that was coming next. Everyone always asked that question whenever he first brought up his allergies. Saber responded with much disinterest like he was reciting words from a play that had worn out there welcome ages ago.

“ Fruits, vegetables, grains… Anything that's not dairy.”

Jen quickly turned over her energy bar and glanced over the ingredients.

"There's nothing dairy in it." She said, lifting her eyes and offering the bar to the young man once again.

Saber snickered dryly at Jenn's enthusiasm, as he responded in a deadpan voice.“ Check the fine print. Those things often say they may contain traces of milk. And besides that, I'm allergic to nuts as well.”

Jen looked at the ingredients again.

"It does have nuts." She confirmed, "But it was made with Jains in mind; they don't believe in farming or caging creatures. They say people are reborn as animals, so I guess milking them would be weird."

Jen looked at the young man again and shrugged her shoulders.

"I'm allergic to peanuts." She admitted. "These are pistachios."

Saber sighed irritably as he rested his chin back on to the palm of his hand. “ Pistachio is a tree nut and I'm allergic to tree nuts.”

Jen looked back at her book. She decided to say nothing about the reiteration of the facts. Her former statement had been intended to commiserate with her acquaintance to some degree, as she also had a nut allergy. It seemed the attempt was in vain, however, as her acquaintance was only concerned with his own perspective.

The conversation lulled slightly as Jen began reading her book, but after a moment she broke the silence.

"The internet doesn't have a lot of accurate information about myths." She said. "The best place to find information is the source."

She casually flipped one of the pages of her book, and glanced up briefly.

"You know, like find the person who said he saw something."

In the silence, Saber was able to find another website that piqued his interest, only to have clicked it and discovered it didn't have any new information for him. Although he couldn't see her, Jenn's words drew Saber's attention away from the monitor in front of him. He eyed her indirectly, mildly intrigued. “ Oh yeah, and who would that be?”

Jen shrugged in a dismissive sort of way as she thought about what her last words should have meant. The person 'who said he saw something' should have been some ancient dead guy who spread a falsehood in the medieval past. That person was not supposed to be the girl sitting across the table from a fantasy nerd in a modern library.

"I don't know," she said at length.

Wisdom dictated the conversation should die with that, but human longing made coincidence feel like fate. From the startling moment Jen spied the topic on the boy's screen that caused all her precious books to plummet to the ground, Jen wanted to talk about the one thing no one who saw what she had would talk about.

"But maybe," she continued at length. "Maybe there’s someone in this library."

PreviousPage 2 of 12Next