Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

No Better Man (CA - Robin, Uno, Saber, & Tiffany)

PreviousPage 9 of 12Next

I could smell it on her. Almost familiar, I could smell it on him too, in the beginning.

“No, we’re not. We’re alone, not looking for trouble. Jack’s just the bar owner-he knows we’ve been in some trouble with a gang before and keeps an eye out for us, watches for suspicious folk who come in here in case they come round again.”

I felt a chill come over me and rubbed my upper arms, shaking away the echo of memories still too close. “You gonna be aright yourself?”

—-

Outside the bathrooms, Jack already had the disgruntled patrons a new round of drinks, and he guided Uno back to the bar, situating him at a more isolated stool at the opposite end of Davie and Cade. Leela took Larry to the private room- where large glass windows made up the north and east walls, interrupted only be the fireplace. The ceiling was higher than the main room of the bar and had visible wood rafters. The west wall had a door to the bathroom stall, a sofa and coffee table, another sofa opposite and armchairs around. The south wall had a small bar with a couple of stools, and the large door which could be shut at the guests discretion. Leela was quick to get Larry another drink, a Scotch neat, insisting he try it.

Meanwhile outside, Jack came up to Saber and gave him another glass of wine, nodding his head in thanks. He lingered nearby- not so much to disturb Uno's privacy, but he looked on with a question in his eyes, wondering if perhaps Uno wanted another drink.

Saber hadn't followed closely either, having just taken a few steps to see into the left wing and then stopped and watched the whole thing unfold. He glared at Flex as he passed by returning to the bar, giving his buddies there a sharp look as well. He then noticed Alajandro had gotten up to follow but had hardly moved, just watching him nervously. Saber looked straight at his friend and silently indicated with his eyes and a quick jolt of his head he wanted Alajandro back in his seat.

Alajandro knew why- He didn't know how to fight and would only end up as a liability as Saber might of explained it. And so as Saber's glare persisted towards his friend he finally took his seat and watched from there.

Saber watched as the barkeeper's worked quickly to remedy the situation, himself on the sidelines and completely ignored by all. There was obviously a conflict brewing in the room that was unseen- One that Saber was not apart of and those involved clearly didn't want him to be apart of. Too bad he didn't care to take the hint.

And so Saber casually made his way towards Eyepatch. 

" Hey, you alright?" Saber asked, trying his best to appear friendly but his narrow sharp eyes always seemed to contrast the look.

I was trying to mentally walk myself through the steps of cleaning a gun.  Guns are simple things.  Dangerous things too, but simple.  I didn't own one, but sometimes I went down to the range and fired off a few rounds.  I liked the weight in my fingertips, feeling the security in my hands, and I always felt better when I was done.  As if somehow pulling the trigger to release the coiled power of a bullet released all the tension in me too.  Even cleaning them has a kind of relaxing quality.  It's not hard.  You follow the set sequence every time and know as long as you take care of it, it takes care of you and everyone you care about too.

Really I was trying not to think that hard about the curious looks and the unsettled murmurs around me.  Guns were simpler than the catscratch of my mindscape, or what I'd tell Robin when she came back.  I could sit here and think about it and feel sorry for myself like the lonely caricature from every miserable bar scene, or I could think about cleaning a gun and polishing it until it was shiny.

I was mentally walking myself through all the sharp, chemical notes of lubricant, solvents, and silicone oil when I heard something plop down beside me.  I flinched, not very much appreciating that he'd come up in my blindspot and I hadn't been paying much attention to what was going on around me.   I tilted my head, catching his face and recognizing him as one of the vocal patrons from the back booth.

"I'm fine," I said briskly and left it at that.  I figured I'd already played enough entertainment value for the evening.

"I'm not buying it." Sonja said snidely. "If they've been chased by one of ours before, how they get this far in? Just the bar owner - hah! El Blanco ain't Spanish, sweetie. Come on, Tiffany, we should take care of this."

"Hey now, Sugar." Tiffany replied. She tossed her long curls and leaned over on one hip to get a better look at the brunette by the door. "It's been a long day. We've already cleaned up one mess. Hasn't she been awfully nice to us? Let's give her one night to celebrate with her fella, huh, sugar?"

"Sure!" Sonja jeered, wrinkling her nose. She had a thousand contemptible things to say about that suggestion, starting with; "And what about Gabe? Do you want to tell him or should I?"

Tiffany smiled in answer, and giving up the fight walked around Robin.
"Don't you worry your pretty lashes about that, sugar." Tiffany said to the brunette.

Sonja was disarmed. Her face reeled with bewildered disgust! With all ten fingers twisted in a different direction, and her hands hanging from her forearms like gangrene, she let Tiffany push her out of the ladies' room like an unhinged robot out of battery.
Tiffany stepped out after her, but she didn't let the door close behind her without first whispering over her shoulder.

"You have a good night with your fella, now. But I wouldn't wait til tomorrow to look for a new job out in Middlecrest."

Davie was disappointed to see Larry walk off with the blond.
"He'll certainly have some entertainment." He thought to himself, "that reminds me..."
Davie looked over his shoulder just as Sonja and Tiffany stepped out of the restroom. With a quick glance at Cade, who was beginning to nod off at the bar, Davie's grin returned. He quickly patted Cade on the shoulder to rouse him, and the two returned to Gabe's booth. The women reached the table at the same moment. Tiffany, seeing that Gabriel never moved, settled herself back down beside him.

"You were gone awhile," the man in the white collar said. He was smiling that dashing sideways smile of his, and looking well warmed by his liquor.
"You want to hear about it?" Tiffany replied sounding smooth as cream.
"Hm.." Gabriel hummed. He appeared disenchanted with the subject of engagement as Tiffany returned to his arm and leaned over. "Maybe later," he said, falling into the alluring depths of Tiffany's dark eyes.

Sonja rolled her eyes and looked away when the former two met in the middle.
Noticing the absent companion, Sonja searched and found the wayward Laurence in the other room.

"What's  Laurence doing?" she snapped, loud and sharp in the other's ears.

Cade winced and grumbled as he settled into the booth. He had a bitter word hanging out of his mouth which never found proper utterance.
Davie, meanwhile, caught Sonja's eye. Both silently wished Cade had been the wayward one. Nonetheless, they knew his time was short, and they were willing to wait him out. So, the two settled back into their seats. Sonja snuggled up to Cade, and was then shoved away in a reversal display of her prior affection. Davie saw it and sneered, leaning again on the back of the booth. His eyes trailed after lucky Laurence with subtle envy...

Saber gave Eyepatch a moment to recover from the small scare he evidently caused- Saber hadn't even considered which side he had approached Eyepatch but realized his mistake too late to fix it.

After the quiet passed Saber glanced at Eyepatch as he tried less eye contact this time speaking, still giving his best at a friendly smile.

" You're friends with the bartender with dreadlocks, right?"

....to look for a new job out in Middlecrest.

I watched them both leave. I should have been more grateful-there were consequences for any action, and she was taking no small risk in protecting us. But what was a mercy by her account was no better than a death sentence by mine. Middlecrest belonged to him, and it was the reason we had fled to Pinerich in the first place.

I walked over to the sink again, turning on the faucet and splashing my face. My own heartbeat became apparent. I was afraid and angry, and a whole stew of other emotions. My anxiety wasn't like Val-he was flight, I was fight. Breath. In through my nose, out through my mouth. I felt my hands and arms shaking, my fingers turning pale around the porcelain of the sink.

Each breath came out trembling more than the last. I didn't feel my hand ball up into a tight fist, and a moment later, the mirror in front of me was shattered, a tight ball of tension released in the form of a punch to a poor unsuspecting piece of decorum. The rage hadn't subsided, however. I tried to calm my expression, which was easy enough. But I could see in my broken reflection the fire in my own eyes.

I came out of the ladies room and walked down the hall. I avoided the other eyes in the room, especially the ones crowded together at the booth-if I looked, it may as well be game over. I moved behind the bar, and met Jack's eyes briefly, before pulling him into a tight hug. "Sorry about your mirror. Be safe."

Then I stepped away, exiting the other end of the bar and moving over to Val. I put a hand on his wrist, "We need to go. I don't want to be late for the train."

"Robin? She's --"

My voice struggled in my throat to explain.  Everyone has a friend, or a roommate, or a mother.  But I'm not sure what exactly you would call the Robin in your life.  We had a lot of history together. Too much history.  She knew me back when I was an angry kid looking to punch something bigger than me just to feel better.  Now she knew me as some wreck of a scarred up pirate.  Whoever said progress was linear?

I caught sight of her coming out of the bathroom.  My expression narrowed.

"Yeah, she's my friend".

That is, if friendship counted in what was said; I didn't comment on her bloody knuckles just as she didn't comment on the tray full of bar glasses I'd shattered.  Her hand went to my wrist, but my gaze was drawn to her face as I tried to read more from her expression.  Our train wasn't leaving until tomorrow morning.  It was just an excuse to leave the bar before trouble brewed.  But I was doubtful it would be just that easy.

I steeled my face into as much neutrality as I could muster, nodding as if it were a casual affair. I glanced to my company and shrugged.

"Sorry, I gotta go".

Then I stood, turning my head just to the side to see what happened next.

Saber's smile fell as he silently watched Robin's small exchange with Jack before coming over to retrieve her friend, listening to Eyepatch briefly explain their relationship as he did. He couldn't help but notice the blood on Robin's knuckles either, but his face didn't budge an inch from the neutral blank canvas it had become.

" Be careful out there" was all he said as he watched them leave.

I was only out the door, but my mind was wandering miles down the road somewhere else. I'd wait for Val to unlock the car door and I'd slide into the passenger seat. I opened the glove compartment and pulled out a travel worn map. It was written on, portions circled with different colored felt markers. A border around Middlecrest with a small circle encapsulated within - "Svalnaglas", "Darius". I turned on the overhead light and took out a blue marker, circling Pinerich with a question mark in the middle.

"Smells like a boys locker room exploded in here," I commented dryly with a chuckle, trying to swallow the lump in the back of my throat, and clicking off the overhead light before Val could see the streaks on my face. "There's a campsite near the station.. let's sleep there tonight, easy drive come morning time. Ten dollar entry fee, I can cover it."

We'd go on vacation. Maybe we wouldn't come back. Maybe we wouldn't have a choice. But, let's just focus on the vacation.

As we exited out the bar, I thought it was going to suck us back in at the last moment -- like it was some leviathan of a monster we'd just emerged from, and any second it was going to inhale us back in. When nothing came for us, I didn't linger to ponder the finer details of why.  I made it to my old, beaten sedan, unlocked the car, and settled into the driver's seat. It was an old habit, something I'd done a thousand times before, and besides the invasion of axe body spray, I could pretend nothing had happened and we were safe again.

I heard Robin rustling for papers in the glove box. I told my fingers to jam the key in the ignition, but they were a thousand miles away from me. I was exhausted.  My body wholly sustains itself off caffeine and fear -- the caffeine was fading and the car was already starting to feel like safety enough that I was essentially a robot with the batteries pulled out.

"Camping, sure," I mumbled distantly.  It wasn't like Robin and I were any strangers to the great outdoors.  It was probably a good idea. A motel was expensive, and at least we were somewhat in our element in the middle of the forest.  I tried to recall the condition of the camping gear in the back of my trunk with limited success.

I blinked my eye, feeling it somehow heavier. I rubbed my knuckles across my face.

"Coffee first?" I asked hopefully.

PreviousPage 9 of 12Next