Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

No Better Man (CA - Robin, Uno, Saber, & Tiffany)

PreviousPage 8 of 12Next

"Oh," Davie looked a little surprised, then of course it became a joke. "Would've thought so, I mean - pine trees... Pinerich. You know."
His face straightened with a more serious air, and he asked, "Where are you from?"

Cade appeared uninterested in the barkeep, but watched Robin work from behind.
"Something like that." Larry muttered, waiting on his drink.

Meanwhile, Gabe watched the affair from the booth. While his finger continued to flip the half dollar in one hand, his other hand spun the ice in his glass. His yellow ochre gaze went back to the ladies restroom door now and then...

I watched Jack hold Davie's gaze a moment, then he met my eyes, and gave a small shrug, before stepping away to tend to another group.

Turning around, three more drinks went on the bar. "He can't speak." I said, gesturing to my throat, "Motorcycle accident. Lucky to live, but, cut his vocal chords."

With that, I stepped away and placed a couple drinks down at the table, then went back up to the bar, whispering something to Jack. He nodded and gave me the thumbs up, and I looked to Val, "I'm gonna take five." I met his eye seriously, in spite of the smile I put on, then took off the apron and tucked it under the counter. Turning on a heel, I went into the ladies room. I observed the two women briefly, before walking over to the sink on the other side of the blonde.

I turned on the faucet and let the water wash over my hands a moment. The woman next to me was putting on her own armor, the same way I put on my smile.

"You did good," I muttered under my breath, glancing out of the corner of my eye. "Find a big shark and keep the others at bay.. I know how it goes." I splashed my face and tried to wash away the tired, but I knew it wouldn't work.

"Don't make him any less of a shark though, do it? Least he's handsome." I chuckled, but felt a frown tug at my features. I twisted the faucet handle, stopping the steady gurgle of water, then turned on a heel and looked over my shoulder at the blondes reflection. "Be careful, hon."

If you know a person long enough, and you can interpret their thoughts with a handful of words.  But if you know a person too long, suddenly you're nagging the other to take out the trash with just a dirty look.  It has its perks.  I've had days where I wouldn't speak to anyone, let alone peel myself out of the covers.  I probably would have starved to death if Robin hadn't learned how to interpret my silence as a desire for pizza.

The thing about Robin is you never pay any mind to what her face is doing.  She can paint a smile on her face even if she just walked out of a burning wreck.  To really know what she's thinking, you look at the eyes.  Her eyes caught mine just before she strode off to the restroom and I caught an eyeful.  It was the Don't do Anything Stupid face.  I didn't need to hear what she was muttering in Jack's ear to surmise its content.

I leaned back in my barstool, watching what all the idle hands were doing in the bar.  I tracked the movement around me, not once but thrice returning to the flash of silver in the air as One turned the silver dollar over in hand. Flip. Flip. Flip.  It was so measured it may as well have been the second-hand of a clock.  They were waiting.

I made my move.  I gave a quick nod to the men at the bar, as if we'd all been o'l chums from way back when, then hopped off my stool and tucked it back under the bar.  I pointed my direction towards the restrooms, but that wasn't my aim.

I was tired of waiting.  Now it was time to play the hands we'd been dealt and be done with it all.

Davie looked puzzled, and a little perturbed to be dismissed by the barkeeper. Robin's explanation simply softened the expression into a grimace.

Cade and Larry were happy to get their second round, and were already acquainted with the shape and weight of their glasses when the barkeep and waitress turned to leave.
"Heh." Cade sneered, sipping from his glass.

All three men watched Uno step away from the bar, and a smile lit up their faces.
Larry lifted his glass well over his brow and downed half his liquor. Then he gave a squat nod to Uno, indicating that he would follow. The others waited to see what would happen.

Shortly after the woman from the stall fumbled out, the bar waitress came in. Sonja turned her eyes out each corner as the waitress walked behind her to the other side of Tiffany. A nasty grin had taken up the lower space of her face.
Tiffany, meanwhile, only turned one casual glance up at the mirror as the bar waitress came in and continued what she was doing.

Seeing that Tiffany would not humor her with an answer, Sonja stepped away from the sink, and appeared to be heading for the door when the waitress spoke.
Tiffany didn't say anything at first, but her confusion was indicated by the turn of her brows now and then. When Robin turned on a heel to leave, she would find her way blocked by the smiling brunette.

"Hey," Tiffany's warm, soft voice came from behind. Her makeup lids were all gone and stashed away. She turned away from the mirror. One hip still rested on the sink.
"I'm not used to people talking like they know me here." Tiffany said, "But I guess all sorts of strange things happen in a bar... What's your story, sugar?"
She sounded sincere, and unlike Sonja, her attitude and posture didn't indicate aggression.

I couldn't help but smile at the brunette. She was real cute. Probably tougher than she looked, but even so, the effort was just real quaint on her end. Like someone holding a pistol up to a tank.

"We'll cut to the quick. I don't like to be vague hon, and you got a fella out there who'll get mighty suspicious." I studied the brunette again, "Easy, girl. Don't want you to go breaking a nail." with that, I turned slowly towards the curly haired blonde, worried her poodle might bite my ankles when I did.

"I know you're not stupid. Probably the smartest one of the bunch, probably smarter than a lotta folk," I turned my head, "No offense sweetheart." I looked back to the blonde, crossing my arms. "Face like that, you coulda been a movie star, had you been born in Hollywood of New York City. But you got dealt a different hand-honest and fair just isn't our lot in life. Just have to learn how to play the game and bluff your way through it. And honey, you seem to be doing a good job. I hope you get to a place where you don't have to bluff anymore. But I won't lie to you- you know as well as I do right now, in this time and place, I'm at the disadvantage." I met her eyes earnestly, and the next words came out slower than the rest.

"I don't want to hurt tonight. There'll be more of that to come, I assure you. We can't hide from it. Tonight though, tonight I'd like to celebrate my friends birthday peacefully. I can find another place to work as many times as I need to, but there's only so many stitches you can put on a body before it doesn't hold together the same way anymore." my voice was more exhausted and desperate than I intended it to be, but what was the point in pretending.

He came up behind me, as confident as a shark behind a seal but I knew better.  One wouldn't have sent his best to tend to me.  One evidently didn't think much of me at all if he thought only a single man would be sufficient.  Which either suggested his aim was only to keep a tab on me, or he figured Six would be enough to subdue me.  Six was a nurse shark at best.

Which brought me to another point altogether.  Why not gang up on us at the here-and-now and take care of it rather than drag out the affair with a little song and dance?  I had a guess. Maybe it would have been better not to stake an entire plan on a guess, but my hands were shaking badly enough that I was either going to do something about it or implode.  I'd rather have the battle on my terms than his.

My pace started as a slow, glorified amble as I walked casually towards the restrooms.  I passed Jack on the way, gave the man a nod, and placed a large bill in his hands and a meaningful look.  The amble continued.  Then suddenly the pace increased, a power walk in some busy metropolitan.  Six might have afforded me something of a gap to begin with, but sometimes we're just victims of our blood.  Even the ordinary human is wired to track motion in a room.  And werewolves, we were predators through and through.  If something ran, you chased.  So I was betting, anyways, that Six wasn't a heavy thinker.

Then just as abruptly as I started my rapid city walk, it stopped, back down to an amble.  And if Six hadn't been minding our gap, he'd be very close behind me indeed...

At which point, he might find himself a little too close to comfort as my left hip caught the edge of a booth right as I rounded the corner of a rather large party.  I didn't get too much of a chance to look at their faces besides the young group of men seemed to be having a great time before their drinks went flying.  I hated to ruin someone's night, but sometimes a little social engineering (and a shirt full of spilled booze) didn't hurt in a hasty getaway.

Saber's eyes were glued to mister Knuckles, Pats, Flex, Eyepatch and Robin. He watched as the drinks got poured and watched Robin make her leave out of the vicinity. Then he watched Ryepatch get up and try to walk away but was releasing far too much nervous energy in his behavior to not notice even from Saber's distance. He saw Flex get up to follow Nervous-patch. Huh, his girl leaves and then he panics. Saber would've been amused if this was something he saw on TV but it wasn't, it was happening before his very eyes.

" You keep staring and they'll notice." He heard Tom say.

" Good, maybe it'll remind them they can't get away with doing whatever they want." Saber had responded.

When Nervous-patch started jogging off like a scared cat being chased by a dog, Saber moved. Nervous-patch was headed right out of Saber's sight now.

Saber was off his seat and ready to pursue him when he heard Tom again. " What are you doing?" Tom said with a sigh.

" Just going to check on him." Saber replied. " He seems nervous like this is his first tango, or he's already seen enough to last a lifetime."

With that Saber followed Nervous-patch and Flex from a distance. Tom, Alajandro and Riley's attention were now on Saber as he left.

" Do you think there'll be a fight?" Riley asked, his usual excitement void in his innocent question.

" I hope not.." Alajandro said as he couldn't help himself and got up to follow Saber in an attempt to watch his back.

Now Jack's own eyes moved back and forward between the restrooms. The bar wasn't particularly large-it was the traditional forefront of a widespread bar upon entering - wood tables and booths against the windows, simple decor, metal work art of things like trees and alcoholic beverage silhouettes on the walls. There was another room that unless you were looking, was more or less concealed - the far right wing of the bar curved around to a wide rustic fashioned door. Right now, four people were steadily moving towards the narrow hallway that led to the bathrooms, the supply closet, cash room and emergency exit, and it was becoming very tight on the left side of the bar.

Jack's flecked green eyes watched a small party of men and women leave the room on the right wing, followed by the third bartender who had been minding them, a brown eyed, natural blonde wearing blue jeans and a white short sleeved button up. Jack met her eyes and drew her gaze over to the would be trouble. Without hesitating, she cut across the inside of the bar, with Jack behind her. The blonde stopped in front of Larry, "Heey, everything alright there?" she asked, and Jack grabbed up Uno by the collar simultaneously, pulling him behind him.

"We'll get this cleaned up, no worries y'all." she said to the patrons who's drinks were all over the floor. "And you," she looked Larry up and down, "Your friends want to have the private room? Nothin' special, but it's got a fireplace, single bathroom and a private bar tended by me. How about it? Don't have anything else reserved for tonight." she shrugged and smiled. "And next rounds on the house."

--- --- ---

I was holding my breath as I heard the crash and clatter of glasses. Val panicked. I could tell from here, the terseness of the air. Maybe he misinterpreted me, made more of my gaze than he should have. Maybe he had an episode-a flashback of Darius' gang, and forgot where he was. That happened sometimes too. It wasn't until I heard Leela's voice I felt a small tug of relief and returned my focus to Curls.

I had everything handled...

Are famous last words.  Something came up from behind me at my ruff and my first impulse was that it's One or one of his lackeys.  My entire body went rigid and I curled up a fist to slam into their face, before I managed to twist around and caught sight of one of Jack's tattoos.  Suddenly I was aware that my breath was coming up fast and my pulse pounded in my ears. How long had everything had been so hilariously out of control?  I let myself grow slack in his grip.

Sometimes I wished I was a real magician. I could really use a disappearing act right about now: now you see him, now you don't.  Instead my diversion intended to make Six the center of attention rested largely on me.  All the patrons eyes were on me, wondering what's his problem, olookat his face, pointing, thinking, imagining everything going on behind the curtains.  I didn't blame them.  I wondered the same thing. My only consolation was that if I'd done it halfway right, Six would be smelling like a liquor store for at least a week.

Overcompensating for a hasty retreat was a mistake. Larry followed, but not too closely. He wanted his pursuit to look natural, and he did a good job. He set his glass on the bar and ambled after Uno at a leisurely pace. But when Uno took off at a run, betting the tail to follow, the opposite occurred: Larry stopped. Uno hit the table and the glasses shattered.

Flip... flip... flip....
That silver dollar kept turning in the air. The booth, which was now revealed to be strategically chosen, allowed the man in the white collar to see into both rooms without ever leaving his seat.
"Hoohoohoo!" Davie broke the silence and hooted from the bar. Neither he nor Cade stepped away from their drinks.
"Somebody's jumpy tonight! Maybe we've had too much to drink, eh?" He suggested, lifting his glass in a clear salute to Uno's panic.

Larry was a large guy, and his stance held firm from the moment he stopped to now. He was the only one in the room who didn't appear amused or surprised. There was a calculative look in his eyes, but just like any of his gang, it was a look that was all too easily disguised under a human façade and smile. When the blonde came over, she had his attention. Her offer was too generous to refuse... But the inhuman desire Uno had purposefully provoked could not defused.

"No problem here," he said, donning now the semblance of a smile as he scoped out the new bar waitress. Larry met Uno's gaze briefly in a glance, with something dangerous just out of sight. Then he allowed the waitress to take his interest away, and walked back to the bar. Cade and Davie continued to sip their glasses. In regard to a private room and another round, each man quietly slipped a glance at the man in the booth, who continued to smile, but didn't appear keen on unsettling himself from the comfort of his seat.

[Meanwhile]
In the ladies' restroom...

Sonja appeared to contrast with Tiffany in a lot of ways. She was smaller and sharper edged, with a chiseled collarbone and long dark fingers. But as frail as she appeared in comparison, there was a rigidness in her stance and a dangerous light in her eyes that Tiffany simply did not possess. Nonetheless, despite their differences, it could be felt in the limited atmosphere that meat and tissue were not the only factors in the room. Something in the air hinted at more familiarity between the two than the catty relationship they outwardly expressed.

"Look, sugar," Tiffany said softly. She leaned away from the sink just as a crash was heard outside. Sonja looked irritated, but Tiffany listened just as keenly as Robin did to the voices outside until things settled. Then she continued.
"I don't want to hurt you anymore than you want to be hurt tonight, and I don't want to see this place come to any harm either."

A less private vicinity called for greater discretion, but with Sonja guarding the door, and all the stalls empty, unnecessary secrecy slipped away through the drains in the floor.

"You're not one of ours." Tiffany said. She indicated a line with one of her fine painted nails over her right brow, tracing it down under the outside corner of her eye. "It would've shown through your complexion, sugar. Is the barkeeper one of yours, too? I can only keep you all safe tonight if I know how many of you there are."

PreviousPage 8 of 12Next