Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

No Better Man (CA - Robin, Uno, Saber, & Tiffany)

PreviousPage 6 of 12Next

Curls put her head back and looked at Collar.
"Just a day for goodwill," Collar said, explaining to the both of them, and he gave Curls a kiss.

"Hah!" David laughed. He raised his glass to signify a cheer, and the other appeared to find the same kind of amusement in the remark.
David had a hard swallow and looked again at the bar.

By now, "Candace" had succeeded in putting his arm around the brunette, who had all but drowned out his presence with her drink.

Saber couldn't stop the small smile that creased his lips as he watched Jack and his unique way of asking which wine he wanted. After making his choice, shortly the drink was placed in front of him and he did a tight squeeze on the rim of the glass with his fingers. Then, he placed his hand facing upright onto the bar table, his other arm moving next to it to make the gesture look more natural, as if he was just leaning forward with elbows on the table. It wasn't a fool proof way, but in a few minutes he'd know by his fingers if the glass had any of his worst allergies on it.

Alajandro watched Saber carefully before he turned to Riley and motioned for them to switch seats. " Riley, switch with me. If Saber is drinking then I'm on EpiPen duty."

" Oh yeah," Riley said as he got up and switched seats. Now Alajandro looked to Saber, hand extended. Saber took his none contaminated hand and fished in one of his pockets in his jacket and handed the yellow cylinder to Alahandro, as the object was now kept gently in his large brown hand.

The four friends heard Collars announce drinks for everyone and the cheers that followed, but only Tom and Saber took another look at the group. Tom stared rather apathetically while Saber was glaring at them again. Alajandro and Riley however were busy with talking about why Riley wasn't ever given the great honor and privilege of being on "EpiPen" duty, but they still heard the cheers, and unlike Riley, Alahandro knew what they meant and began to look slightly uncomfortable.

I nodded, "Is that so? Well, enjoy. Holler if you need anything."

With that, I dismissed myself again from their table and went to the bar.

"Happy Birthday, by the way." I smiled, giving Uno's arm a squeeze. "Alright, so," reaching down under the counter, I pulled out a thin, rectangle package wrapped in silver foil with a white bow, "Here's your first one." I smirked and wrinkled my nose, waiting eagerly for it to be opened.

Well they almost seemed halfway decent... but they say you can tell a lot about a person based on how they drive.  And by they, I mean I say it.  I'd seen enough of their Ken-doll convertible and driving habits to know they weren't used to being held accountable.  And don't even think I forgot about lucky number Six that had come marching in the door some time ago with Five.  Was I being overly judgmental about the nice little group that had bought a round of drinks for everyone? Probably.  But I wasn't in the mood to think kind thoughts.

I nearly missed Robin's arrival, and almost flinched at the bright silver box and the thin squeeze on my arm.  I recovered nicely, giving her a smirk in return.

"Let me guess, more booze?" I laughed, removing the bow and tearing off some of the paper, "I don't know if my liver will survive the night with you".

"No spoilers," I said seriously, watching as he removed the paper.

What was underneath was pink, and covered in kittens and unicorns.

"I just think you need to get more in touch," I inhaled, trying to hold back a laugh, "with your feminine side." I started to giggle more and bit my lip, not wanting to spoil the whole surprise.

It was a diary. One of those little ones you can buy at the general store for a couple of dollars, with the little aluminum lock and key so you could keep your pesky brother from finding out you had a crush on Tommy Hill.

I waited for him to  unwrap it all the way, then began laughing. "Open it up, see what's inside."

I starred at Robin like she'd grown a second head.  It took all my self-control not to burst out laughing, because frankly her laughter is contagious.  But I played perfect straight-man to the affair, investigating the pink-kitteny thing like it were some terrible biohazard.  Age had given me a good sense of humor.  I think my younger-self would have been just as outraged as I was pretending to be.

"If this is some attempt for me to spill the inner workings of my mind, you'll have to try harder than this," I said sternly, glaring at her with a single eye.

My eyes raised quizzically to Robin at her last word. "There's more?" I intoned a little more curiously than I intended.

I inserted the silver key into the lock, and turned. Click.  The thing sat like a tiny sparrow in my comparatively monstrous hands as I started flipping. Now mock-outrage was taking backseat, because for all my powers of observation, I hadn't the slightest idea what Robin had hidden inside.

The bar waitress left the booth. David smirked snidely as he settled down on his friend's shoulders.
"Someone is hiding something." He muttered over the rim of his glass, taking a sip. His eyes followed the waitress back to the bar.
Miss brunette cocked two brows like loaded pistols. "Oh, really?" She said. Across the table, miss curls laid her head against mr. collar and pulled her legs up on the seat beside her. The two looked very comfortable indeed.
"Doesn't look like they're hiding anything to me." Miss brunette said with a sip from her cherry glass.
David turned a glance over his shoulder at the smirking Laurence, before returning his smile to his drink.

I couldn't help but laugh again.

"You know what, you couldn't pay me to know the inner workings of your mind."

At his question, I gestured ironically to the little pink book with a deadpan expression.

"No, that's it. That's your present."

Then a couple pages later, he'd run into a pair of tickets. Train tickets, exactly. The abbreviations made out an arrival and departure place and date, "one adult", "class", and so on.

"Ever been on vacation?"

I'm not sure what I expected.  Maybe movie tickets to some kiddie movie so Robin could make a pass at my age.  Maybe nothing (as she'd promised).  It certainly wasn't a pair of train tickets.  I starred at them, perplexed, squinting to make-out the destination.

"I'm guessing camping doesn't count?" I asked dryly, "Where we goin?"

"Through the Columbia River Gorge,  then to the Oregon coast. I've already gotten the OK on my holiday time. There's a nice little bed and breakfast waiting for us in Oregon-one of those where they serve two meals a day, and they're almost guaranteed not to have weird stains or bugs."

I was more or less holding my breath to see what he thought, "It's not exactly Acapulco, but it's not camping, either." I added with a smile.

PreviousPage 6 of 12Next