Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

No Better Man (CA - Robin, Uno, Saber, & Tiffany)

PreviousPage 11 of 12Next

"Just promise me to write all about it in your pretty pink diary." Robin replied quickly, a dimpled smirk taking up most of her face. She finished her coffee, called for the check and paid, tipping the waiter before standing and stretching.

"You ready?" she asked, shuffling through her backpack for a disposable camera and tossing it to Val. "We're gonna go make some memories." before he could react, she already had her camera out and clicked a photo of him, sitting in a food induced blissful state of food coma at the table. "Lessgo, boy, before I have to drag your sleeping behind outta here." with that, she began out and to a bench to wait for the train to begin boarding.

"Ha. Ha," I turned to Robin in complete deadpan, "Only if you promise to buy the matching pen".

I used my way off the cushy diner seats, turning my head until I got the crick out of my neck.  I followed Robin up along the train station, watching as people unloaded and reloaded back up again on one of the other destinations. It's interesting to see the people that interchange, imagining where they'd come from and where they were going. I wondered what we looked like, Robin and I, to the people that would be watching us soon. What kind of stories could they come up with on the former rap star and the scarred up pirate? Were they happy endings?

I glanced up as our destination lit up on the "incoming trains".  Just a few more minutes before we'd leave the Phantom Mountain range behind us. I was eager to escape the mountain's foreboding shadows.

"How long are we gone, again?" I was fishing out the pretty pink diary to thumb through the tickets myself.

"Oh, you bet I will." I responded with a laugh. His deadpan humor was just what I needed.

"Two weeks," I responded, waiting for our turn to board. They called our train number and people began to step up to the platform. I waited for Val to procure the tickets, already eager to watch the tall pine trees pass us by in a blur, to see the sparkling blue lakes from a mountainside view.

"Two weeks, huh?" I said as I did a score of mental math.  Two weeks gave us a comfortable margin before a visit from everyone's favorite giant orb.

I handed the tickets over to the booth as we boarded, making sure that the attendant got a nice, long look at the pink diary.  I did it more for Robin's benefit, but I appreciated her double-take as she debated whether or not she ought question the strange pirate man or not.  She, unfortunately, decided not to, but I thought I caught amusement in her voice as she told us to "have a nice trip".

I pushed past the the turnstile with an easy click to the platform. I walked a few paces ahead then stopped, waiting for Robin to pass. An uneasy thought struck me just then, but I shook the rattling chains of Marley's ghost away. Even as lives as messed up as ours, didn't we deserve at least 2 weeks off from it?

I smiled and nodded politely to the attendant, and we boarded. Seats were being filled quickly, but I had reserved a nice little setup on the second level of the train. I led the way for Val, and when we were in our seats, felt a giggle, then busted out laughing. "Best dollar fifty I've ever spent. Her expression was priceless. You could see-she was trying so hard not to break.." I bit my tongue and opened the curtains to the window. The peaks of tall pines could be seen already before we'd started moving. The track went around the corner, under a hill and would follow the edge of the mountain on the other side, according to the map and brochures I picked up.

"We're gonna be alright. For a couple of weeks, we'll be OK. Got it?" I met his eye with an even look now.

"More like she was trying to swallow a watermelon whole without anyone noticing," I nodded as if it was a serious manner, but even I couldn't help but grin a little at the memory.  Sometimes moments in time deserve a picture frame.

I found our seats on the ticket. We were seated out the right side of the train. I couldn't decide if I liked that or not.  I'd get a good look out at scenery that belonged more on a postcard than my window, but not much else without craning my neck the entire time.  If someone came up from behind us in the aisle, I wouldn't see them coming until they were practically in my face.

I flinched as Robin spoke, the long train track of thought brought to a shaking halt.  No one was coming up from behind. We were on a train.  With normal people, heading to the same picturesque vacation we were. I let the breath go that I hadn't realized I'd been holding.

"Yeah," I replied, not entirely hiding my own doubt as she met my gaze.  Maybe I just wasn't a vacation person.

I took my seat, trying to imagine my happy place - largely replaying the attendant's reaction to the pink diary - when the station doors closed and the train started to move.  I hoped Robin would sleep while we traveled. She must have been tired hauling our butts here all night while I'd passed out like a baby.  If I was still tired, I didn't notice it. It was the wide-awake kind of feeling that still itched for more coffee but didn't need it.

I nearly missed the two tiny fingers emerged like a bull-snake in the prairie from the corner of the seats in front of us, reaching outwards as if to catch a spare rodent.  I visibly jerked, only to watch with bubbling curiosity as two pepper-brown eyes peered from their burrow.

"Hello," the little fingers peeped curiously.

I felt Uno's sudden jolt and resisted the urge not to do the same. He spooked easy, and anyone who knew what he'd been through couldn't blame him. I didn't startle as quick, and instead followed his gaze to the corner of the opposite seat to discover the source of his jitters.

We had a sort of plain wall separator in front of us, with room for a fold out table, one of the "nicer" seats on the train because we didn't have to share with a couple of strangers sitting across from us. The child was in a similar seating situation in front of us.

"Hello there," I responded quietly with a small laugh. Too nervous to interact much more than that. I could almost count the moments until the parents tugged their kid away and told them not to talk to strangers in hushed whispers. It was fine, anyway-hurt too bad to see what I missed out on. Without trying to be dismissive, I turned my gaze to the window and watched as the tips of the pine trees began to go by in a steady blur.

The little fingers expanded and contracted as if an underwater sea creature, then disappeared.  I thought perhaps our visitor had left us, yet in shorter order I found a bright little face lording over us.  I had no idea her age - at best I could say she looked out of diapers, but not yet on a bike without training wheels. Her face was tanned and rosy, while her long dark-hair braided back into two red ribbons. I stared at the ribbons longest of all, supposing that morning her mother must have put some manner of effort into them that morning.

I glanced to the other seat, but suspicious found it vacant.  I couldn't tell from me vantage if there was any luggage stashed under the seat.  I returned a steady eye to the girl.

"Hello," she repeated, her pepper-brown eyes scanning over us.  Her small eyebrows furrowed, I'm not sure if on my account or Robin's.  I'd take it as a win she hadn't started sobbing at sight of me.

"Where's your mother?" I frowned, glancing to the aisles to see if there was some frantic-looking woman searching for her lost charge.

The girl leaned forward on the seat, bracing her forearms against the top as if she were to tell me a great secret.  I leaned in despite myself, if not to better hear her then to at least play along to her little game.

"Pooping," she giggled.

I turned to Robin dubiously.  Children were a life-form I couldn't fathom.

Now it was her turn to ask the questions.  She started to point and I could feel my cheeks burn faintly at the accusation. Except she wasn't pointing at me at all.

"How do you... get your hair like that?" the girl pointed to Robin's dreadlocks, touching her own braids with a thoughtful frown.

She and her mom weren't going hiking, likely - dressed all up in her braids and bows. They were probably going to the coast like us.

I returned my gaze on the girl and smiled softly. There was no sense in trying to answer every impossible question. Somehow I didn't think explaining my heritage and that I was born with something called 4C hair would appeal to a child's mind.

My daughter was born with straight hair like her father. Pretty sure it stayed that way. I could only imagine how easy it was to maintain-I wouldn't have had to teach her all the tricks of the trade, or have spent countless hours braiding her hair until my back felt like it was going to break; the way my mom had to do with me.

"You know what, I don'know, sweetheart. I just woke up and bam-it was like that." I shrugged. "You've got hair like a princess. It's really beautiful."

I suppressed a chuckle as the little girls eyes went so wide, it was like her own little explosion. I wondered what Robin's words sounded like to a child. I wouldn't really know, I suppose. Last time I'd been around children, I'd been a child.  I can't recall a memory older than age six, besides bits and pieces that may have been dreams more than real events.

Still, it had been a nice dream while it lasted.

I focused on the girl, watching how she twirled the end of her braids at Robin's mention of a princess.  That word must have gotten her, princess - she must have been imagining herself in a big puffy gown and a prince at hand. Cinderblock or something? No, that wasn't right.

"Just like that?" she whispered, "Bam! Ohhh..."

Her voice suddenly went low and she leaned towards Robin, like she was saying something of utmost secrecy. I wouldn't have heard her, except that my ears were the kind that could hear dog whistles, "Are you... are you a superhero?"

I couldn't help myself.

"Yep," I nodded, "She's Robin and I'm The Batman".

PreviousPage 11 of 12Next