Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Lily of the Valley (CA - Silas)

PreviousPage 8 of 11Next

I pulled back the seat and placed my jacket over the back of it before sitting, then let my eyes go back out to the crowd.

"Well, I get paid to do it.. sort of kills the charm."

Diane certainly must have had more interesting  observations than I did.

My own observations were a conglomeration of strategical numbers and calculations, which was about as useful to the average person as knowing how many potholes were in the city.

I could tell Diane in regards to the guy across the street in the gray suit flagging down a cab- how much he weighed, how much sedative it would take to knock him out and for how long. I'd be able to make an almost certain guess at his genetic makeup. I could tell her the best vantage points to hit him with a dart or a bullet based on the current trajectory and strength of the wind, and where their mark would certainly strike true. Likewise, I could tell her how many vantage points currently existed that would provide someone else an opportunity to strike us down where we sat.

That was the extent to which I considered the flow of life surrounding me. It didn't make for good, or even normal conversation.

I rested a hand on the table and flexed my fingers, crossing my legs and resting the other hand on a knee. After a brief moment in silence, a deep breath escaped my chest and I hummed quietly as I felt my body relax in the presence of a familiar ally.

"Has anyone caught your eye?" turning my gaze on Diane, a smile played at the corner of my lip.

What did the world look like from her eyes?

Diane took a small sip from her glass and set it soundlessly again on the table.

"Yes," she said, meeting him in the eye. In that same motion she made it clear whom it was that had her attention. Then, she glanced casually away.

The busy little alleyway hummed with nightly activity; for Diane, and every werewolf, in a very real sense. The lights had a sound. The streets had a sound. Any voice within a mile could be pinpointed and discerned. Cars sped by. A man shouted two streets away. The soles of dress shoes, and tennis shoes, and sneakers all, pounded the pavement. And music; the hum and static of every little market, or diner, or household radio murmured on the air.  It all had a sound, and that sound to man's ears was one boisterous throb. But to Diane, and every werewolf, it could be picked apart and understood.

The smells of the city were no different than the noise. Every ingredient of every plate in every cornerstore and bakery could be smelled. The perfumes people wore, their soaps and sweats, the fabric of their clothes and the metal of their watches could be detected. Every person, as they passed by, left such a marked trail. One could know exactly where the perfume, or clothes, or shoes were bought, how long they had been worn, and where it's wearer went. The streets themselves smelled. Urine, blood, gasoline, oil, and food; hard soil fallen from the wheels of a car, the decaying cardboard behind a coffee shop, and everything dropped in the gutters had a smell. It was enough to drive a man mad, but no ordinary man would ever smell the city the way werewolves do.

What could the eyes of a werewolf see? Were they keener than the eyes of men? Certainly. Were the lights brighter, and the darkness less deep? Surely. Every motion was distracting. Every subtlety drew attention. The faintest flicker of a woman's finger, and the slightest glance of a man's eye, each forecasted an uncomfortable conversation between a man and his wife. A nightly bird passing over the alleyway, or a mouse scurrying in the gutter, or a beetle climbing the building were each an object of attention. But what Diane could see mattered very little against what she understood of the world around her. Therein was the grace and training of the Beta's daughter.

"What will you be having tonight?" Diane said, bringing her eyes back to him with a soft smile.

Her eyes came and left fleetingly, but mine lingered. I felt myself shamelessly and predictably unable to look away, so instead I let my eyelids lower just so as I followed out the profile of her face, from the point of her nose to the small where her jaw and ear connected to her neck.

Choosing to be engulfed in all that Diane had to offer-from the smell of her perfume to the beat of her heart-little else would penetrate my senses.

When she returned those eyes, like emeralds glinting beneath black cloaks, I uncrossed my legs and drew myself into a lean on the table, both elbows rested on it and hands to my lips but not quite touching them. Perhaps if I wasn’t to speak, I could hold her captive a moment longer.

Yet, still was I the first to relent. My gaze dropped and an audible sigh hissed from between my teeth as I exhaled my vexations with a flare of my nostrils, both corners of my lips upturned in a frustrated smile.

“You know the menu. Whatever you suppose suits me. Seldom, do I hunger for flesh.”

Diane lowered her chin and opened the menu. "I see." She said. Her eyes casually perused the page. She permitted the moment last while his eyes lingered upon her, yet did she consider the change in his mood.

The waitress came about just before the silence became unbearable, and I flagged her down for a glass of sparkling lemon water, then awaited her return in silence. When she came back with the drink, I asked for a few more minutes to order and politely dismissed her.

Someone lit a cigarette nearby and I found the source, and stared at the fellow for an uncomfortably long period of time as I took in the scent. After a moment longer, I found my voice at last.

"I have an idea. Maybe not a good one. I've only been mulling on it for a few hours, since we spoke last." I said, having turned back away from Diane just so, and now only reaching her from the corner of my eyes.

Diane allowed the silence for as long as it would last. It's purpose serving finely. When at last it was broken, Diane smiled.

"Oh?" She said, in a tone whimsical and curious.

I sipped the lemon water and continued to mull. "I'm wondering if our pal would be held in so high a regard, if he could scarcely control himself."

I traced the edge of the table with my finger. Diane would know what I was referring to and I felt no further need to explain.

"There are a couple of ways this could play out. The crux of path one is proximity... and if he's playing his cards right, he's keeping a wide girth of space between himself and anyone else. The first path would allow for a more natural slip in his "credibility", and would be a slow buildup of the half life of his detriment, making it hard or impossible to trace to any external factors."

Sighing, I continued.

"The second path would be a single event - a lynch pin moment - and would require the presence of our "esteemed gentleman" among many influential members of our family under a single roof. It would raise a lot of questions, and present other dangers-nonetheless, I feel it would create a sizeable roadblock in the progression of his... career. There are a lot of stars that must align to accomplish this."

Looking up at the sky, I could feel the moon above us, her effects like a glass of wine; a poisonous drink at the ready, should only we desire to partake.

"But I digress-what unsavory character waits at the ready for such an opportunity to step forward and reveal themselves to be a less desirable candidate? Both paths will only come to be of use to us if we can find a suitable replacement... and that lies in discovering what has become of her."

Diane listened keenly and seemed to be considering his proposals with interest.

"Hmm..." She hummed. "My sources tell me she was not alone; that she was in fact accompanied by one of the House of Kitsune. Can you confirm this?"

"If so..." Diane continued, "The House of Kitsune are all trained assassins and not to be trifled with. As Japanese immigrants they came to Pinerich in the early 1900s, and received protection by the Svalnaglas at the time of Executive Order 9066. As the only faction that does not have some connection to Mávros Yiós, however, they have preserved their bloodline and traditions impeccably well. If the bar singer has made friends of that house, I have no doubt but that we'll see her again."

"However," she said, glancing down. "You should know that there are steep penalties for meddling in the ascension of another faction's beta ... It never ends well."

Diane smiled and took a quiet sip.

“The Kitsune was with her.”

Diane’s words brought me some comfort. Until they didn’t. Now for the part that I didn’t want to think about.

“I’ve considered that.” I said gingerly in response to her latter comment, then cleared my throat after a moment. “It concerns me a little that you smile ever so charmingly while considering my demise, but.. I digress. I don’t intend to get caught. You see, beforehand…” I met her eyes grimly and trailed off solemnly with a sigh, “I’ll jump in a fifty-five gallon vat of grease. See them catch me thattaway.” Deadpan. But within a few seconds I beamed a small grin.

In all seriousness, not getting caught was high on my priority list. Not getting chewed into microscopic pieces and effectively vomitted out into the Monvac was very high on the priority list. Stopping Gabe from becoming Beta was higher still.

I intended to cover my tracks very well.

I stared on now in the distance past Diane a moment, pinching the corners of my bottom lip together, then met her eyes again and spoke more quietly as I continued.

“Find me some respectable help. Keep an eye out for our singer, then keep her well hidden and safe until the right moment. I’ll do the rest. He won’t be beta.”

It became clear to Diane on the word 'demise' that there was an awkward misunderstanding. She could think of no way to remedy it, of course, without insulting Silas or admitting the fault in herself. After all, it was not the danger to his life that amused her, but rather the nature of the Svalnaglas to make rules and then break them. To admit this, however, was to appear apathetic to the crimes of others.
Gracefully, Diane averted her eyes to the table and said simply, "Do forgive me. I spent my elementary years studying bylaws and institutions of order."

This was the only explanation she gave, and she moved passed the moment.

"I cannot help but notice, Silas," Diane said, speaking slowly, "That you speak of this as though it were something personal to you... May I ask, why? What is it that you have against Gabriel? Or, is it the girl from the mountains?"

PreviousPage 8 of 11Next