Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Lily of the Valley (CA - Silas)

PreviousPage 7 of 11Next

Pausing alongside Diane, I met her eyes, and traced her face as she spoke. Who was I kidding - she could have been asking for forgiveness with a knife to my throat and the outcome would be the same.

I'm a chump.

Diane undoubtedly knew it, too. My spine was as rigid as an overcooked spaghetti noodle in her presence. Add in a sprinkle of flattery, and those doe eyes, and I was basically silly putty.

"There's a lot that went wrong in the Varnished Hills-we'll strike that one from the record book."

That entire saga needed to be beaten, burned and buried. Too many things went wrong that night. I learned that my creation was successful, and of Jodecai's relation to the Calagathorm - as well as the hunters interest in them. Those were the takeaways. Everything else need be forgotten.

It's probably why Diane mentioned it - she had a lot of weight to hold over my head for my performance that day. It was my job to ensure her safety, but it went without saying that I was at fault for a lot that went wrong; I lost my footing one too many times, at the expense of our pack mates and the Reggadae kid.

"Water under the bridge," I said, more solemnly than I would have liked. Probably not the best choice of words.

As for being sober - I could make plenty of sarcastic quip's about how terrible it was. In the end, we both knew it was to everyone's benefit, including myself. A clear mind is a heavy burden, but neccessary to prevent the kind of slap jobs I had been delivering.

Right now, I needed answers. I hoped what little leverage I was perceived to have right now, ruse or not, would help me obtain them.

"I know that you intercepted a call meant for the Talkane girl. What can you tell me about that? She was less prepared than I was - why was she being sent after the hunters alone?"

Diane inclined her chin to meet his face. His face was fairer now, his color much improved. Thus, upon his brow, she could now barely see the pale mark of the moon.

"A shift in power is coming." Diane answered. "Beta Talkane has taken ill."

If Silas did not know what that foretold then the gravity in Diane's voice would be a clue.

"In three decades he has chosen no heir." Diane said. "If he does not choose one before the next full moon and before he breathes his last, than his subordinates will choose one from among themselves. People have already begun to go missing as the faction singles out its most potent players. Violent displays of dominance will surely ensue."

"Whoever rises to power will change the game for us all."  Diane lowered her chin just so. "We all have a stake in it."

My gut tightened. The betrayal was all too familiar. Power and money turned brother against brother, daughter against mother. I felt naive; an informant who didn’t know the political state of his own pack.

The Talkanes operated under less than gold standards by nature of their faction; none of what Diane said should have surprised me.

“She-Tiffany-is capable. But a threat?” I tried to recall anything from our meeting in the mines that would have made it make sense.

“She must have something on someone. Some kind of leverage.”

I should have been using past tense. It didn’t feel right. But-like Diane said - how few were buried in the cemetary at all. There were surely a great number who never even earned a headstone. Left to rot where they fell.

”I’m going up to the house tonight… going to move to an apartment, close to the, uh, family. I’m not bringing furniture. I’ll be back by morning. When I get back-what’s the easiest way to look into the Talkane’s situation? I want to know who the front runner is and who’s on his heels.”

I can probably find something out at the Campaign Meeting.

Diane's brows peaked. Was that the first time he ever said it without some implied connotation?  Diane wasn't sure, and yet she seemed to like it very much. Perhaps it would be a more regular thing hereafter.

"His name is Gabriel." Diane replied. "And as I understand it, she was."

Diane was a treasure trove of knowledge on political affairs-as was her duty. I was more point and shoot in the information department. It was high time to do some research.

Gabriel. Good old Gabe, too good to do anything but stand there and flip that stupid coin. That's the only thing that associated the name to his face. At least it was a consistent trait.

That and his conceited, slime ridden methods. Tiffany was set up. I felt my heart rate spike but quickly cooled my composure.

"Yeah.. that tracks.." I said, all but through clenched teeth. Gabriel being a frontrunner was immensley concerning.

Silence trailed behind my words and I looked down at Diane. Anything else around me was a pale shade of gray in comparison to the contrast of her elegance, and couldn't hold my eyes the way she did. I blinked slowly.

There was a lot to do. I offered the umbrella back.

"I need to get some target practice in while it’s early. On second thought, I'll try to be back in town tonight if I can help it. If you find yourself still awake later this evening and absolutely famished, as I'm certain your father starves you in that castle, I know this great all night Chinese place around the corner.” I inclined my head and smiled with only a little reservation.

There were things I wanted to discuss in private - yet to say it was strictly business would be a lie.

I sighed inwardly.

More pressing than anything else- if could get Diane to just laugh in earnest, I could die a happy man.

A darling smile came to Diane's lips as she turned her face just so and hummed lightly.
"Hm.. I'm afraid Chinese doesn't always agree with me." She said. Her dark lashes flashed as she took her umbrella from his hand, and perhaps, for just an increment of a moment, her fingers touched his. That she was not talking of the food seemed entirely unimportant.

"Let's make it tonight at the Cartel Cafe. It'll be my treat." Diane said. She turned her chin down to her shoulder and took a step away. "Come as you are, there's no need to dress up."

And she took her leave.

I watched her just walk away, as if she hadn’t just imprisoned every faculty of my mind in an impenetrable fortress, neatly tucked away behind that pristine smile and those long, dark lashes.

How did she sleep at night? Probably very comfortably, knowing there was a man, devoid of his own will, ready to jump in front of a moving train - not because she was standing in front of it, but because she smiled and asked him to.

Her touch, no matter how brief, lingered like a ghost at my fingertips.

The day was going to feel very long.

—-

And it did.

Our designated long gun range was a two hour round trip into the country from the inner city.

I was a lot more out of practice than I realized. The rifles butt, even with the stand, did a number on my shoulder, painting it various shades of red and purple. It was expected, but normally only a surface injury. 

To add insult to said injury, my accuracy was poor. I still couldn’t brace my arm the way I was accustom to, and had to admit to myself that I would yet need more physical therapy before I could reacquire my previous level of skill.

The drive to my house on the outskirts of town added another hour, not including the lunch stop after the range. I spent the time thinking of Diane, still a captive to her spell.

It was twenty past noon by the time I pulled up to the place in the empty neighborhood. I put on my old records-yes, records-of all the greats, and began packing what I needed. Research journals, weapons, clothes, my coffee maker, a few momentos. Lastly, the record player itself-which got buckled carefully into the front seat. Everything else fit in the trunk. These old town cars could fit bodies, plural. They just don’t make them like they used to.

I had changed into jeans and a tee shirt at the gun range, and decided to wait until I got back into town to shower and put something nice on. Didn’t want to wrinkle my suit.

The new apartment was in a high rise with a gate. I could “buzz” people in. Not that I had people to buzz in. It was just after six when I got there.

The counters were black marble. The appliances were steel instead of plastic, a style that seemed to be catching on lately. It was lightly-but stylishly-furnished, very minimalistic and modern. An aesthetic I referred to in the past as sterile and lacking homeyness. But let’s face it-my car was my home more often than my home was, so it didn’t matter.

I could see Diane’s building-or her fathers-from the expansive floor-to-ceiling glass windows that lined the living and dining area wall.

Her room was on the side of the building facing East from my viewpoint looking out. Knowing I could be there fast was as reassuring as it was unsettling.

I unpacked the car. Smiled the awkward obligatory smile at my new neighbors as I passed them in the hall. Died a little bit on the inside when a well dressed older man, upon seeing me struggle with the last stack of boxes, pulled the “working hard or hardly working?” number.

Finally, I showered and put on my black suit-vest and tie. In an effort to follow Diane’s advice to “come as you are”, I opted out of the suit jacket. But decided to bring it just in case.

By the time all was said and done, the moon was perched up in the sky. Eight o’clock.

The drive to the Cartel Cafe felt like an hour, when it was in fact, exactly fifteen minutes. I pulled up and made the final adjustments to my clothing, stepping out and taking in my surroundings with care.

The Cartel Cafe sat on a little market lane sandwiched between two high class hotel buildings. Its warm yellow lights, neon sign, and well lit courtyard, were among hundreds of other small shops snugly clustered on the lane. Foot traffic here, even at night, kept the lane lively with activity, but not the sort of activity that one might expect in the late hours. Men and women who frequented the lane appeared in casual good fashion. Guards patrolled every corner in police uniform. Withal, the peaceful pedestrian atmosphere was maintained with cleanness and dignity.

Diane was found sitting at a table under an outdoor umbrella with her hands folded in her lap. Her makeup and dress had changed from the morning to reflect an evening mood, but ever did she adorn the colors of her father's house. As she sat discreetly observing each passersby, Silas' arrival did not go unnoticed.

It was colder than I thought, so I took the jacket out of the passenger seat and draped it over an arm, taking another long look at the scene laid out before me.

When you seldom leave your home, the concept of people, existing amongst each other at night -or any time of day- is strange and alien. I felt like I was an extra on the set of a surreal movie, and possibly only one that didn't know it was being filmed until it was too late. For all extensive purposes, it was a nice place.

Except, these weren't ordinary people.

I nodded halfheartedly at a young couple that walked by, the girl draped over the man's arm, giggling incoherently as they walked to a car parked out on the street behind me, where at least two other couples were already waiting. I didn't even know you could giggle incoherently until now.

Neither paid me any mind of course, for they had no minds to pay, and I set forward to seek out Diane, following the neon lights and trying not to appear too stiff or too listless. If this was what people did for fun, I could see why drinking and "going out" went hand in hand-why anyone would enjoy being fully alert, between the sickening neon plastered everywhere and the hum of inseparable chatter, was beyond me. I'd need to be numb, too.

Then I spied her. I approached the table swiftly - eager to be out of the foot traffic. I felt my not-so proverbial ears pinned back, and tried to cool my nerves before making contact with Diane.

"Good evening," I smiled, a bit forced under the circumstances.

Diane noticed his discomfort the minute he arrived, but she did not order a change in scenery.

"Good evening," Diane said, motioning to the only other chair at the table. "I find people watching much to my fancy."

PreviousPage 7 of 11Next