Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Lily of the Valley (CA - Silas)

PreviousPage 6 of 11Next

- - - -

A few days had passed since my conversation with Baltronan.

I had yet to hear anything on Tiffany, and had yet to bump into Diane. Nonetheless, I'd done some of my own research regarding the events in the Varnished Hills, and was none too pleased with what I'd discovered.

I rolled down the sleeve of my shirt, having just slapped on a fresh nicotine patch. Supposedly the next best thing to my old vice. Hah.  I rolled my eyes as I shrugged on my suit jacket.

In spite of how early it was, the air was especially crisp for August - evidence it would be a long, and cold winter.

"So, you're the sorry guy who she almost got my hide hung for. Pleasure."

I crouched down near his headstone and read the title.

Word was that his body was elsewhere, the headstone just a hallow memorial piece.

"Forgive me for being a bit bitter. Can't judge a guy by his headstone, anyway."

I stood upright and let my eyes drift off to the sea of headstones in the background. The word disposable had been stuck in my head the last few days, an unending sour taste stuck on my tongue. In spite of Baltronan’s reassurances, the idea of taking orders from his daughter made my hair prick and my neck hot. I was a tool that she could use to seek revenge. The mission was unplanned, the details were intentionally left hazy, and the potential consequences clearly none of her concern.

My once unyielding loyalty was abused.

As usual, I danced on razor thin ice, reminded that I was on borrowed time. My family, my previous "pack", and Diane all had the same thing in common - my value was about as lasting as the long wilted vegetables in my fridge, and I could be replaced at any moment for any reason.

"Was it worth it in the end, any of it?"

I looked back down on his headstone, my blue eyes half shut. In a state of delirium, I was able to take everything with a grain of salt and a laugh. Being more alive today than I had in years, made me realize just how exhausting it all was.

A sound came from not far away as passing by on the grey road went a woman in navy blue with a black umbrella over her head.

I felt my attention drawn away. The pattern of her footfall was the first giveaway, the navy blue so characteristic of her family was the second. Her perfume followed lastly - there was an eastbound breeze that carried the scents away from me.

Either she hadn't noticed me, or chose not to acknowledge me. Either worked in my favor, I didn't trust myself in the moment to say something that would offend her majesty. But how I wanted to. Give her a piece of my mind.

"Maybe she's just hurting," the good angel spoke up. I thought I had accidentally sat on him a while ago and yet, here we were. "Maybe she's just hurting," I mocked my own thoughts aloud. She had no emotion. Look at her walk. It was emotionless.

Truthfully it was really full of grace, each step timed with perfectly effortless intent- no - you're upset. Focus on being mad.

"Diane," I said aloud, loud enough she could hear me. Whether or not she chose to was her own business.

The woman stopped on the path, and turned just so. Her lips appeared from behind the umbrella, and then a pause before her eyes and face appeared.

"What are you doing over there?" She called out to him. "... Not writing a dirge, I hope?"

"Are you saying you don't trust my poetic abilities? I'll have you know that I'm well versed in the eloquent writings of Elvis Presley."

She was a hypnotist, and well versed in the ways of witchcraft. Even as I meandered her way, I felt her voice cool the proverbial furnace of my anger. I needed my not-so-good angels to start shoveling coal and fast. The essay sized angry tirade I  had been honing throughout the day had quickly been whittled down from a red hot spear to a sad little nub.

I came to the wrought iron fence that divided the graveyard from the road; shielding it from wanderers but not hiding it's restful beauty from their eyes.

The closer I got, the smaller she seemed. One of the last times I had seen her, I was loading her into a truck - she was a wisp, and I didn't know at the time what the hunters had shot her with, or if she would be alright.

Tucking my hands into my pockets, I summed up what little bit of steam was left.

"There are some things I need to discuss with you. You left me with a lot of questions, Diane - more so than usual.."

His initial quip made her smile, and her eyes disappeared for a moment behind her dark lashes.

She waited for him by the fence.

"Yes, I imagine I did." She said, looking down again. "But I didn't expect to find you here, if that is any comfort."
She raised her eyes to his and out a moment behind him, implying.

I followed her gaze briefly back to the marble headstone, somehow standing taller than me, mocking me.

“I’m sorry for your loss.” I said earnestly, then began slowly towards the entrance of the cemetery.

Diane watched him, and waited.

"It happened a long time ago." She said.

It wasn’t something I had experienced personally - losing someone close. It didn’t seem like something that faded easily with the progression of time. That’s what everyone was told. Maybe to make the grief of another more tolerable by the ones who weren’t grieving. Like desperate parents wanting their infant to stop crying and sleep through the night, so they could rest their own eyes.

The idea hardly seemed fair from where I was standing, now in front of Diane. I held my hand out to hold the umbrella.

“Don’t be mistaken. I understand my position in this-“ I gestured with my other hand in a kind of confused rounded motion “-family.. and as your subordinate, I have rarely questioned your motives.”

I moved to walk alongside her, on the side nearest the street.

“Aside from my debt to your father, I have answered to you of my own will more often than not. Yet, trust is in limited supply with me and I think it goes without saying why. For us to be an effective business team, I need to know where I stand so I can look at this more objectively.”

I scratched the stubble on my neck-already a sandpaper texture even after just shaving early this morning- and returned my hand opposite Diane to my pocket. 

Diane began to walk again, this time with him beside her.

She was quiet as she listened to him, and smiled just so.
"You don't trust us." Diane summarized. She refused a rebuttal. "I don't blame you. To be sure, no business partner is safe in dealings with werewolves."

Diane lifted her chin and eyes as she walked. Her features were solemn and restful.  Her slow, methodical steps hinted at considerations she revealed in the next moment.

"There isn't evidence of a single one of them buried here." She said, thoughtfully. "Nature takes back it's own so rapidly. It leaves no trace of us behind. Yet, we guard these stones with devoted and jealous love."

The two passed presently under the drear black shadow of "Engelmann Spruce Enterprises" the business of Flannigan Terrel, aka, the esteemed Beta Beulanncan. Far across the lonely green lawn was another large cooperate building, owned by the Family Reggadae.

Diane let silence persist only until they were out of the building's shadow.
"Family is a safer word among us. And who is considered members of the family Svalnaglas is my father's business." Diane spoke as she walked. "It's best to leave my father's business affairs to him. Though for my part, I shall apologize. It was not intended that you would be left to your own devices in that venture. I could not forestall the events that prevented me from warning you about what you would encounter in the Turbulance Mountains."

"I fear I am also at fault for your newfound sobriety. I made mention to my father that you have a keen mind, and he must have taken it to mean something." Diane paused presently and faced Silas. "I hope you will forgive me. It seems you suffer no end of bother on my account. I am still indebted to you for the Varnished Hills."

PreviousPage 6 of 11Next