Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Lily of the Valley (CA - Silas)

PreviousPage 10 of 11Next

Now, that was fiery, using her own words like that.

Diane smirked.

"I'm happy to know it." She said. Then she touched a finger to her cheek. "And yet, you called me a liar the first day we met in his office. Do you remember?"

I paused. Thought back for about two seconds. Then recalled - not the meeting Diane was talking about - but every time my mother had posed the same kind of question to my father.

It probably didn’t matter if I remembered because clearly Diane did, and it was also evidently something she was not happy about.

Except, I did remember, and unlike my father, I didn’t posess the funds to purchase the contents of her favorite botique, or a trip to the Maldives to smooth it over. Not that that’d work on Diane anyway.

I rubbed the back of my neck.

“I remember.”

“I assumed you were upset at me for following you to Middlecrest, and that you had conveyed that to your father. Somehow in that moment it seemed like the safer bet to… throw you under the bus.” I cringed inwardly and outwardly. “It was a cheap shot and not a proud moment. I know I didn’t win points on you or your fathers favor for that one the second it came out of my mouth. I’m sorry, Diane.”

What other uncomfortable moments did she have tucked away? Where was the waitress? They only showed up when you had a mouthful of food, never when the conversation with your company was completely dour.

Yet, even as she figuritively raked me over hot coals, she was ever so elegant and charming. What I gave to spend a moment in her company. 

"No matter," Diane said smoothly. "It is said that one generation builds upon the last, not the other way around. I am not yet undone."

With another casual sip she emptied her cup and looked for the waitress, who did not return. Instead, a young man came out of the café and looked between Silas and Diane with subtle contempt.
"Who is this?" He said.

"Pardon me," Diane said, "But we meant to have our order five minute ago."

"Yeah, sorry about that. We're out. Can I do anything else for you?"

Diane narrowed her eyes slightly and tilted her head with mild confusion.
"Is that so?" She murmured. Then she looked to Silas.
"No," she said. "Please bring me my bill."

The waiter dipped his head and left without another word.

"That's unfortunate..." Diane said, watching him go back into the café. He went straight back to the register and spoke to no one. Then he returned.

"Here." He said, and he left.

Diane picked up her purse. She didn't even look at the bill.
"Let's go." She said to Silas, and she left the table.

Diane did not speak again until they were well away from the café, and indeed all people in general. Then she stopped and gave the bill her urgent attention. She was silent as she read it.

My body seemed to get up and follow Diane as if on autopilot, but I found myself glaring back to the waiter. Who is this? Who is this? Who was that punk? Why I oughta-

Except I didn't. I followed Diane like a wind up toy, until the waiter boy was far away and it was only myself and Diane, who was entranced with the bill.

Which I realized now wasn't a bill. And that I was never actually going to get any custard, and I was a little disappointed about that. No dessert, no date - really, what was Diane so focused on? I dared to peer over her shoulder.

"That much for tea and sparkling water?! Highway robbery." I gasped, then met Diane's eyes with a smirk. "What's it say?"

The bill was quite lengthy. Diane read it solemnly.

Then, after a moment, she scoffed.

"Worthless apologies for failing to procure the information." Diane explained.

"Its never good news when the informant is too afraid to show up. Cowardly louse." Diane folded the bill and tucked it into her purse. She invited Silas to walk with her.

"My father paid a recent visit to Talkane." She said. "A man reveals all sorts of things on his deathbed, but evidently there was no competent person available to eavesdrop on the conversation. We shall never know."

“Man. If only we had known a competent informant,” I cocked an eyebrow and shook my head, strolling at a leisurely pace. “What, a, shame.”

"Oh, yes," Diane turned her chin upward. "That would have gone swimmingly, wouldn't it? To ask my father's personal informant to eavesdrop on a conversation between him and another beta."

Diane stopped abruptly and turned on her heel. "Did I not say the higher the rank the higher the cost? I'm sure I meant to." Diane shrugged and turned away. "Surely you don't think that little concoction of yours won't be traced back to you? My father is a traditionalist, and more intelligent than you realize."

My eyes narrowed. I felt all of the withheld remarks of the day coming to an ugly head. I caught her arm before she could walk away.

"So use your expendable inventory. Yeah, I get it." the words came off my tongue sharply and my nostrils flared, "Look - you've clearly got a handle on this, Diane," I gestured back towards the inconspicuous cafe with my other hand, "so what could you possibly need me for? Too skilled to waste, too unskilled to trust-where do I fit in with your "vision?""

Diane winced as her arm was taken, but she swept it under the rug, and it was gone in the next moment when she met Silas' eyes. Now, she was looking straight up into his face, well beneath his height, and entirely encompassed by his scent.

"The worst they'll get is a slap on the wrist!" She said, angrily. But she made no movement to reclaim her arm.

"What do you want your part to be?" She breathed. Her eyes flashed between his features, from his marked brow to his lips, then to each of his blue eyes and back again.

My chest was rising and falling noticeably, and I exhaled deeply to farewell my anger once and for all. It was replaced immediately with guilt. My breathing stilled.  My eyes chased hers before moving to her arm, and I loosened my grip, but didn't let go. Not yet. Only held my hand there, that she could withdraw if she chose to do so.

"Voglio solo farti felice. Sei la mia ragione di vita. Finché vivrai, costringerò il mio cuore a battere."

I let go of her upper arm slowly, and traced the length of her arm down to her hand with a brush of my forefinger's knuckle. I caught her ivory fingers in my hand and lifted her own hand carefully, examining it with my eyelids lowered. Then I closed my eyes and kissed it softly, between her index and middle finger, before returning it to her carefully and finally meeting her eyes again.

PreviousPage 10 of 11Next