Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Into the Woods (CA - Uno, Mark, & the Shepherds)

PreviousPage 9 of 10Next

"Nothing wrong with that." Tara replied quickly, hoping she didn't make Val feel bad.

"Two humans? Mark and who else?" she asked curiously.

I groaned and rubbed the bridge of my nose, "You'll know her. Officer Torres? We've had some funny conversations on the subject. She's poking around and circling around the truth with a lot more force than Mark. So there's your warning".

"Oh. Yeah. She was there, too."

Tara observed.

"Ugh, that could prove to be very challenging." she said, bemoaning the new information. "She's determined, and fierce."

Tara rolled her tongue in the side of her cheek and shook her head.

"Bob knows though? That's she poking around?"

I nodded, taking a very long sip of my coffee as I did so.

"Oh yeah. That's part of why I originally came over the other night - to give him a heads up," I waved my hands ominously, "Then I got Chapman'd".

Tara struck a smile, then laughed.

"You made it a verb. Chapman'd...." she laughed some more. "Oh my gosh. I'm going to steal that, okay?" she grinned.

"If that isn't the truth." rolling her eyes.

"We'll need to let Clay know about her then. She could get hurt... I'm more worried for her than for Mark, to be honest. Mark has a sense about him. Lyra just -"  Tara waved her hand in a wishy washy sort of way, "-doesn't always look before she leaps."

I waved my hands about me, "It's yours, then. Consider it my gift to you".

I nodded seriously and sighed, "Yeah, makes sense. I'm sure Chapman was going to pass the message along, till he decided to take a little camping trip... so much for that".

I groaned, sinking down deeper into my chair, "Is she that bad? Here I was hoping, finally, a human with a self-preservation instinct.  Take it from me, they don't come born with it for some reason".

"Self preservation looks different to everyone, Val. It's not always about keeping the body safe. Sometimes we fight to keep our minds safe, and that can look different on the outside. Sometimes we fight to protect our souls. Not everyone wants to get hurt, but when somethings hurting you from the inside, the outside is an afterthought."

She looked thoughtful.

"Does that make any sense at all? Have you ever been in a situation where you could care less what happened to you-physically-if it meant you protected something more important than your body? Maybe someone? She's searching for closure."

I'd known Tara less than a few days, but I was swiftly coming to an opinion on the woman. She wasn't one to waste words. In the same breath she told a joke or grinned, she would punch right down to a problem at its core.  Tara wasn't someone you could hide yourself away from. She'd see your shadow as you passed by.

"She lost her partner, right?" I surmised, "Chapman had mentioned there was an incident where she saw more than she should have...the same person Mark lost, right?"

I leaned back, thoughtful, "I do understand.  I understand because I was once the person that threw myself headfirst into danger, and barely came out the other end of it. I know how hurt she can get. That's what concerns me".

“Yeah. I’ll pull the file for you when we get back to the office. It was a mess… the long and short of it, according to Chapman- a couple of werewolves from a pack came into town, went kind of nuts, their Alpha tracked them. Roger, Lyra, and her partner-that’s Kimberly- trailed them with the dogs. A werewolf got shot, things got ugly- Roger tried shooting one of the werewolves, Kimberly got between them and took the shots. The other human who was there vanished. Someone stayed with Roger for a bit and left once everyone else had gone. Lyra was right there, but-blessing in disguise-she passed out. She doesn’t remember much, but she saw enough that she knows what she saw doesnt match the public record.”

If Tara breathed as she told the story, it was a miracle.

“Lyra thinks she knows what she saw. Roger knows what he saw. I don’t know what Chapman said to keep him quiet but, doesn’t matter much. The guy spends most nights basically comatose at bars. But you know who else knows? That dog of hers.”

That about added up.  I took another long sip of coffee and realized the cup was already empty. The day had only just begun.

"Oh, I know. I've met him," I grumbled darkly, "I can assure you he hates me, but we've come to an understanding of peaceful coexistence. Maybe".

I shrugged innocently, "Personally, I think he's just jealous I'm taking his turf".

PreviousPage 9 of 10Next