Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Into the Woods (CA - Uno, Mark, & the Shepherds)

PreviousPage 6 of 10Next

"Yeah, you're probably right," Mark said about Tara's comment on monsters. "Or a vampire. But hey, moon's waxing crescent tonight so no need to worry about werewolves at least."

What a laugh.

Tara admitted to being a sci-fi fan and Mark's eyes lit up. "Alright!" he said, pumping his fist, "Oh, yeah, no, definitely Team Geek all the way. I could talk your ear off about space and aliens and technology and stuff. The only reason I didn't hop on board the computer bandwagon is 'cause I already had my sights set on psychology when those started rolling out. I do think they're going to take over the world someday, but, I won't be their doctor, so I might be obsolete here in a few years."

He drifted into another bout of silence, thinking. "Wouldn't that be a shame, though? A future without humans? We talk about this 'final frontier', gazing up at the stars. But heck, everyone's got a galaxy just as vast and complex right here, right inside their heads." He knocked on his own skull for effect. "You ever seen a PET scan? I watch these brains light up with activity when people think and feel, hundreds of thousands of neurons going off and communicating, like stars, if stars could speak. It's beautiful. So many people feel broken, myself included, but inside, even if it's not perfect, we are galaxies. Stories. And we forget, sometimes, when we're the protagonists of our own stories, that it's the bumps and bruises and troubles the heroes go through that make us love them so much. That's what makes them resonate with us."

He looked down at the ground, smiling in this weird sideways way. Then he looked at Tara with a wince, "Is that too much? Sorry, I get talking and I just don't shut up." He laughed self-depreciatingly.

Listening in awe, Tara walked on, but her pace was slower so she could show her intention as she focused on what Mark was saying.

"No, you're fine-I just, like, I actually have goosebumps right now."  she hadn't put on her jacket earlier and showed Mark her arm - her arm hairs in fact, were standing up.

"You got me there." she laughed, her voice a little hoarse. "Like, whoa dude-when you deep dive, you mean it."

The path was wide enough for now that it allowed her to walk beside him, and she playfully punched at his shoulder. "Stick around okay? World needs more people like you."

Mark offered an appreciative chuckle. "I watched this documentary once, like ten years ago, called Voyage of the Cosmos or something... the narrator said 'We're all made of star stuff.' He said the reason we want to travel the universe is because it's going back to where we came from, in a way. Every element that exists, that we're made of, it all started out in a star. Really stuck with me."

He shrugged his shoulders. "Okay. What was your favorite book as a kid, aaaannd why was it your favorite?"

"I actually didn't read as a kid." Tara laughed listlessly, "My parents were the poster children of the seventies. By the time I was school age, we were traveling in an RV with green shag rug that perpetually smelled like smoke."

She scrunched her nose up at the thought.

"Dad was a wannabe Willie Nelson and Mom was a wannabe Mary Travers. They were gonna be the next greatest thing. I didn't get my GED until I was in my mid twenties, but hey.. I can play some great tunes on an acoustic guitar. How about you?"

"Ah," Mark said. "Well, I can't play any musical instruments at all. I can relate with having a bit of a nomadic childhood, though. Opposite end of the spectrum. I was an army brat."

"Books were kinda my form of escapism. When my dad was deployed in Vietnam, I went to Narnia and battled ogres and witches alongside Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy to bring him home safe."

"My favourite book was A Wrinkle In Time, though. That was kinda my first foray into science fiction. It's got lot of good themes that sort of became a foundation for me. The premise is that there's this Darkness that is trying to corrupt all living worlds, and it must be fought with love and light. Turns out philosophers, religious leaders, artists, and so on are all secretly warriors locked in an eternal battle to protect the Earth from the Darkness. The main character is a girl named Meg: she always reminded me of my sister. Brave, smart, and doesn't realize how important she is. I read that book so many times it feels like an old friend to me now."

"The good-triumphs-over-evil stories always made me feel like I was standing on solid ground, no matter what was going on in real life."

He was thoughtful a moment. "Of course, in real life, good and evil are a lot harder to define, at least as far as people go. You don't see the good side of the bad guys a lot in real life. The human side. But you work one-on-one with people, you get to see that side. And I'm not going to lie, it's hard... I've worked in prisons before. People who have done things that society cannot and should not forgive them for. But I'm not sure I'd say anyone is ever past personal redemption. The biggest obstacle is often just believing that themselves. What do you think?"

Tara liked Mark. Every question and query led down a path illuminated by intentional thought and deep emotion. She could tell that these were well wandered paths, and Mark had left few stones unturned. She appreciated that he allowed her walk down them with him.

Mark was deeply invested in the humanity of people. Bob had a knack for seeing kindred spirits like him. He could know, and it probably wouldn't change how he viewed any of them - but oh, what a dangerous and slippery slope that was. She responded after a moment of silence.

"I think you hit the nail on the head. You really are special." now she paused and turned to him, narrowing her eyes just so. "You remind me of her, of Kimberly. You two must have been close. I, uhm-"  she trailed off, uncertain on how to proceed, and stared up the path with her brows tightly knit. A thought lingered, just behind her eyes and tongue.

"She was special," Mark said, looking down.

He looked at Tara when she trailed off, and his expression showed sympathy. "It's okay," he said quietly. "I think the idea of a day when people don't talk about her hurts more... that the world is going to move on and just leave her behind. And it will. That's the nature of things." He paused and adjusted his shirt collar (even casual camping-Mark had opted for a polo...or maybe he just hadn't time to change when he got ready for the day that morning). He cleared his throat and blinked his eyes. Smiled a bit. "But for now, she's still in living memory. Talking about her keeps her there."

Tara fidgeted with one hand at her side, rubbing each of her fingers with her thumb in turn. She shook her head once and sighed, "No - I mean, I agree with you about Kimberly, and yet, this is about you right now, because you're here in front of me." her voice didn't betray any sign of sorrow, but there was a solemnity to it.

".... You're being put in a very precarious position, Mark. Kimberly died protecting two different worlds. I don't think what you're doing is a good idea." she said, her expression serious.

A wrinkle appeared in Mark's brow. He opened his mouth to respond, then closed it again. Made that little croaking sound that happens when you start to say "what" but it dies in your throat and only a confused breath escapes.

Finally he managed, "What does that have to do with...?" Camping? He shook his head a little. Then it clicked. He stopped walking. Tara's warning sounded too much like Val's, the night before. Not camping. Chapman's so-called retreat for troubled teens. He looked at Tara seriously. "...That's where she was when it happened..."

She died protecting her fellow officer who fired the shots, and strangers she did not know. No arrests were made. Chapman stood at the pulpit at her funeral and pleaded that no ill will be directed at those involved, lest her sacrifice be in vain. He thought of the "angel" Officer Cooper had spoken of... The one who held Kimberly in his arms as she died. No one could ever give him a name for that angel. He was one of them...

"I'm understanding more and more that it's dangerous," he said after a moment. "I'm still not sure who they are or what exactly is going on but..."

He raised his eyes to meet hers. "Tara, I need answers. I'm not sure if you can give them to me. Bob doesn't seem all that keen on telling me anything specific, even though he's the one who called me to the job."

Tara watched the gears turn and could almost hear them clicking into place. All her years of covering up Bob’s tracks but this one just wouldn’t be explained away. What Roger saw, what other three humans saw - that didn’t end when Kimberly died. If anything, it was just the beginning. Her family was left with question after question-why would Mark be the exception?

“I don’t-even if-you won’t-uggh,” she cursed Bob inwardly and sat the backpack down, the weight somehow heavier while idle. She rested her back against a tree and crossed her arms.

“They’re people..”

PreviousPage 6 of 10Next