Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

In The Melodies and The Memories (CA - Saber & Ulric)

PreviousPage 5 of 10Next

Lee watched the boy intently, as he played by the windowsill now. After what might’ve been several minutes he slowly walked over to the boy, resting his arms on the windowsill as he looked out at the neighborhood.

“ Don’t tell anyone about the wolf-people.” He whispered cautiously. “ They’ll think you're weirdo and make fun of you.”

As he spoke, the storm that was seen earlier before was slowly brewing in his eyes once more.

Ulric listened solemnly, watching the legs of the astronaut pass over the world under the window. He might have glanced out the corner of his eye in Lee's direction, but otherwise he maintained his distant staring.

"Wouldn't it be great to walk on the moon?" He said, after several seconds, and looked more aloof than a moment before.

Lee sat in silence for a moment before responding.

“ ..Maybe, I don’t know, I don’t really like outer space...” He muttered, his voice and eyes slowly growing more distant as well.

"I think it would be great to walk on the moon." The boy replied, quietly and undeterred.
The astronaut bounced off the lawn with a giant imaginary step and floated up into the room before descending slowly onto the side of the bed. Ulric followed him, watching to see where he would go.

Lee watched the boy play out of the corner of his eye before turning back to stare outwardly at the sun filled neighborhood he now called home, and inwardly, back at the storm that was slowly growing inside.

Then, behind Lee, Ulric's voice came cheerfully. "If I could go to the moon," he said, "I'd see the earth rise over the blue dunes, and the stars shining in the sky. They wouldn't twinkle... because, because they don't have ... they don't have the, the atmosphere. They don't have the atmosphere, so they don't twinkle, and the sun is brighter than in our sky."

Lee just blinked listening to the little mind of a child trying to piece together and explain a big concept like “atmosphere.”

“ You know too much for a five year old.” He concluded as he pushed off of the windowsill and moved toward the far corner of the room where his TV and movies were and began looking through his small selection of VHS.

Ulric watched the spaceman bounce off the bed, up, up, up. 

"I don't think you can know too much." He said, thoughtfully. "If you want to learn, then you have to listen really good. And if you want to learn - like I want to learn about the moon and everything, so I listen really good."

Lee flipped through the few Chinese movies he had currently available to him as he listened.

" My mom says you only get one childhood so you shouldn't rush it." He replied solemnly. " The more you learn the more you can't be a kid, or something like that. Kids aren't supposed to be worrying about anything but having fun I guess."

Upon looking thoroughly at his films, he turned to examining his English ones now. He really didn't seem to have anything that would be okay for a five year old to overhear or watch...

Ulric watched the astronaut float up, up, up over his head, and descend slowly, slowly, slowly back down onto the windowsill. There, he at last looked past the toy into the yard below.

He stood by the window silently for a few minutes. Then he asked, "Can we go outside to play?"

PreviousPage 5 of 10Next