Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Werewolves (RP14.3) Guardians of the Archway

Page 1 of 4Next

This role play chronicles the activities of Calagathorm Pack member Toby Buttermilk on the night of August 19th, immediately following the events of "Werewolves (RP13.3) Many Decisions: Echoes".

This role play takes place simultaneously on the timeline with:
"Werewolves (RP14.1) A Precarious Road"
&
"Werewolves (RP14.2) The Way of the Trusted"

Thump.. Thump.. Thump.. 

The distinct sound of Granny's cane grew louder as the elderly woman hobbled down the stairs. Her best hat was on her head and a warm shawl around her shoulders.

"Zander, I'm goin' go visit a friend of mine. She needs to know that cur is in town. Watch the store for me." She said grumpily, heading toward the door of the antique shop without so much as a glance over her shoulder.

Zander looked up from the very back of the shop, covered in a fine smattering of dust.  He resisted the urge to sneeze at Miss Buttermilk's arrival, and instead cowed his expression back to the utmost respect.  After the morning he'd had, there was miles of groveling yet to do to return to the older woman's good graces.  He still clutched the vase he'd been dusting in hand, polished and smooth.

"No problem," the young employee snapped to attention at once to take the front-desk, yet she was already gone.

He sighed, looking down at the fragile vase in his hands that had survived three generations

Toby peaked out from behind one of the shelves where an antique radio from 1920 sat. Without word, he hurried to the window and cautiously peaked out to see what direction his grandmother had gone. After a minute or so of watching, and once satisfied that she had gone an acceptable distance, Toby turned the lock of the door and flipped the 'OPEN' sign to 'CLOSED'.

Zander jolted to see Toby summon himself so smartly from amongst the shelves.  He had to keep an extra hand on the fragile vase in his hands, lest he break another of Mrs. Buttermilk's prized positions.

He found a suitable shelf for the vase, suddenly noticing Toby flipping the sign.

"Hey, I said I'd watch it," he complained, "Don't tell me you don't trust me to do that much".

Toby looked at Zander as he hurried to the stairs. "Of course I trust you." He began, leaning on the rail and lowering his voice to a whisper as he continued: "That's why I need you to come with me upstairs, we've gotta--" He paused, casting a worried glance back at the door as if he expected to see his grandmother come hovering in on a cloud of brimstone smoke, with flame ascending from her hair. He cupped his hand next to his mouth, trying to shield it from the view of the window. "--We've gotta search Granny's things."

"What?" Zander exclaimed, taken aback.

Toby had always seemed like the more... normal... of his kind that he'd encountered.  A little high-strung, sure, but who wasn't if they were living as a werewolf?  Granted he had been mostly unconscious in their first meeting, and in subsequent ones had been in some manner of fear from his grandmother, but he'd never taken him to be rash.

"Toby, I can't just search my boss's things" his voice came out low and soft, as though sensing they'd just entered a forbidden place, "Or your grandmother's! That's just wrong. Also she'd kill us both".

He hesitated, "What exactly.... are we looking for?"

Toby winced at Zander's mention of certain death being inflicted upon them both, as though it were a real and honest possibility. "Oh come on, Zander!" He begged, "You've been here so long, you're practically family! And if we're both searching it'll go faster. I just-- I really want to know what Scout was talking about. Granny won't tell me what happened to the pack. I already asked her and she wouldn't tell me.. but I really have to know now." His eyes were big and his voice was pathetic.

Why was this gnawing at him so bad? Why was he willing to risk injury or death for it? What was he expecting to find?... Toby had no idea. All he knew was the pull was almost irresistible, as if the blood within his veins was being attracted to a magnet somewhere upstairs.

The longer they stood around talking, the easier it would be for Granny's knitting needles to start tingling and alert her that something back home was amiss. It was now or never.

Zander swallowed heavily and nodded the smallest of nods.

"Ah... an anthropological excursion," he said in a meek, quiet voice and an uneasy swallow, "Why didn't you say so? That is.. entirely..a different matter.."

Trust the universe to find his one true weakness, the very thing that had lured him to this town and job in the first place - a look into the greater mysteries of Reknab Bend.

"Well.. we better... get to it then".

Toby was so scared his face turned green and, for an instant, he looked like he might throw up. Nevertheless he gave Zander a resolute nod, strengthened his grip on the rail, and led the way upstairs to the live-in.

The very first room was the main room: Granny's tea set was positioned nicely on a little table in front of her old straw chair. Behind the chair was her basket of canes and the fireplace with a single phantom flower on the mantle. Across from the chair was a bookshelf full of old books, a decorative candle or stone statuette was crammed in here and there, separating certain sections from others. Atop the bookshelf were even more books, held up by a pair ornamental bookends. Next to the bookshelf, an old tv was shoved in the corner, over a stack of VHS movies. A large, woven rug lay in the very center of the room. An ottoman or two were there for guests, and of course the old chest by the wall. Pictures and photos decorated the walls around the single, round window which had a direct view of Phantom Mountain. Wolf figurines, images or indications were on nearly everything... Just like in the graveyard.

This was all familiar to Toby, Granny hadn't reorganized or redecorated this room since her husband died. Everything was exactly where it had always been-- Yet now Toby looked on it with new eyes. Instead of the cozy and modest dwelling of his grandmother, it was a labyrinth. Secrets could be hidden anywhere! ....Even in plain sight.

"L-let's start here. No need to invade the bedroom immediately." Toby stuttered, moving toward the basket of canes.

Zander followed quietly behind, although the sight before him was familiar enough.  He passed by it every morning when he left his own bedroom.  He'd always supposed the woman had an odd sense of taste - personally, he couldn't see the appeal of keeping little wolf statues hanging around.  Wasn't it bad enough to be what they were? Did they really have to go around advertising it?

His gaze swept around the room, lifting an eyebrow when Toby went towards the canes. He wasn't exactly sure what they were looking for, but something told him it wasn't canes.

He instead approached the phantom herb sitting up on the mantle in pensive thought.

He turned towards Toby, "Just how well do you think we should cover our tracks on all of this? We're going to be rifling through a lot of her stuff... now I'm not saying it's weird either of us are up here, but it might be weird if our smell is smeared across all her things".

Page 1 of 4Next