Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Dead of Winter (CA - Robin, Uno, & Bob)

PreviousPage 2 of 12Next

The envelope changed things.  Before, it had been just talk.  Robin said a lot of things. Things she didn't mean, that she'd regret later, that she could take back. Because it had all been something in the heat of the moment. But the envelope meant she thought things ahead. Not just about herself, either.  The teen's expression darkened, taking a step aside from the door with both hands out.

"You know what?  Just go. Take your money, take your pity. Just don't come crawling back like a wounded dog when it goes sideways.  Because you know it will, and I'm not gonna help you even if you ask".

He was trying so hard to keep the upper hand, give himself some idea of control over the situation. There was a pang in my chest and I shook my head.

"Stay outta trouble, alright?"

Steeling my nerves, I walked passed him, tossing the envelope on the table behind me. I had no use for it where I was going - the kid was right. This was a one way road to nowhere. I put my things into the luggage and climbed on the bike, feeling colder on the inside than the outside, seeing Val in the doorway.

Armed with a couple of stale leads and almost noting to lose, I started the engine. Darius was getting on in years by now, but I'd heard enough to know that he was still in the game. Finding him was a matter of knowing who to ask.

The engine warmed up and I started down the road.

The sky was grey when the day began at 5 in the morning, and it had soured to the color of ash by evening. In that strange time, neither night nor day, a figure moved strangely among the shadows of the trees and hefted a massive dark lump of fabric in a wheelbarrow. The wheelbarrow creaked softly along the uneven terrain, until the figure came to the edge of the river. There, the water rushed rapidly enough to block all other sounds. He tilted his gaze, yet nothing stirred. Not that it should, for indeed precautions had been taken…

In a splash, the task was completed.  Nothing would be left behind. Nothing ever was. It was simple work, in the end.

He rubbed his hands and thought nothing further of it.  He was but the hand that pulled the trigger, and once the work was done, nothing more need be stated. Instead, he ascended the soft slope of the hill, bringing the wheelbarrow behind him, and came to the stump of an old tree.

He removed a cigar from the folds of his coat pocket, and lit it till the smoke ran thickly into the sky. He inhaled, slowly, and gazed without thought.

By instinct, he removed a small journal from his other pocket. Inside it was nothing  unusual. Dates, times, and places. The same any businessman might carry to keep track of his ventures. Previous dates had been crossed for the most part, others had not. His gaze narrowed.  Then he swore, snapped shut the book, and stood to his feet. The cigar was kept between his lips as he marched in the opposite direction across the field.

There was no rush now. He had already missed it. Yet he moved with purpose all the same.

Glasses stayed where Robin left him. He didn’t dare touch the envelope. Wouldn’t even look at it. Instead, he marched along the tread of wood until something dangerous in him settled to low and steady embers.

She was as good as dead.

Even if she came back alive, Steele wouldn’t let her stay that way long.

Maybe just say she died in the attack, some sniveling coward’s voice said.

But that was a stupid lie, because Steele would know. He always knew. He would hunt her down to the ends of the earth, as she deserved, and then he’d end her like the miserable dog she was.  Or maybe he wouldn’t. Maybe he’d just let her go back to the rotten life she deserved maybe—

An engine rumbled from the driveway, snapping every ounce of attention to a pinprick of focus. He settled himself right by the door, then realizing how ridiculous that looked, he settled himself casually in a wooden chair and posed his arms over several pages of an old weapons manual. Look casual, like you have more important things than—

The lock turned. Whatever he was thinking emptied as he trained his eyes to the door.  He knew by the sound of his boots at the entryway it was Steele and by the smell of the cigar even through the door his mentor was in a poor mood.  Steele rarely smoked when he walked unless something had gone poorly to interrupt him in the middle of it. In anticipation, blood rushed in his ears.

Steele walked in without a second glance and deposited a rifle and the strap of his handgun to the floor with a thud.

“Clean the guns,” he said without looking to him.

Steele settled to the sofa and drooped his head, as though defeated.

It took him two beats, not one, to state the obvious, “Where’s Robin?”

Glasses was already on his feet, reaching for the cleaning supplies in the cabinet and preparing himself for an arduous task ahead. He saw the envelope still on the counter and turned his eyes aside hard.

“She’s gone,” the teen said bitterly, grinding his teeth as he pulled the clip out of the handgun. Gun powder assaulted his nose. It had been recently fired. Multiple times, “Said she was over it, just walked out, going back to her ex or something”.

Steele seemed surprised by this. Or rather, his eyebrow lifted in a way he sensed several calculations run beneath his mentor's gaze at once.

Then he turned instead to the envelope, “What’s that?”

“Didn’t you hear, she ran off to her--!”

A look from him silenced his voice to a whine. He cleared his throat, starting again, but not meeting Steele’s eyes, “Money. Said she’d set aside some for me. Because she’s a guilty coward, and couldn’t—”

“Take it then,” Steele said without looking at him either, starring instead to the freshly lit fireplace, “That’s what she wanted, so take it”.

“But--!”

“Take it and be done with it. Don’t look at the thing like a wounded dog. Toss it in the fire if it makes you feel better”.

He felt his fist clench at the word dog, standing upright all the same to take it off the counter. The gun powder on his fingers dyed the perfect white of the paper black.

He starred down at the exposed guts of the gun, “Are you gonna kill her?”

Steele didn’t answer.

And when he finally had the courage to look up from the guns, he saw his mentor was soundlessly asleep, the cigar still lit between his lips.

(Two days later, location unknown)

An old airplane hangar sat in an overgrown field. There was no plane; the crop duster that used to rest in the rusted structure was sold a long time ago. There was nothing for miles save for the worn gravel road, with withered green weeds creeping up between nearly every little stone, that led to the highway.

"You think he's gonna show?"

"Naw. Not my fault he can't keep a leash on his dogs. S'far as he's concerned we don't know where she went; an we've been layin' low just like we agreed. He come in here actin'  high n mighty, gon' be humbled real quick."

They ate stale pizza and drank cheap beer on a rusted out patio table while they waited. A firearm leaned up against the hangar, directly next to the bodyguard.

He did come.  Yet it seemed he arrived only when it seemed he would not - rather than the hero which emerged to the spotlight in the sky, he was an ally cat which slunk in only when least expected.  He came along, armed only with a rifle at his back, a knife at his belt, and a side-arm at his side.  The other side came armed as well, and he would come no less. Yet he brought no company besides himself.

His car was parked half a mile from the hangar. He walked along the dusted dirt road, observing as he went for anything amiss.  And then he came past the field. The door the the hangar had fallen off ages ago in disrepair.  He could peer easily inside to see nothing of concern. He approached the two figures parked by the patio table. He said nothing. He only tilted his head as he made direct eye contact with Darius but did not come closer than ten yards.

Darius didn't seem to mind the wait. His large, dark form stood from the patio table - the iron from the chair scraping on the concrete.

"Look who showed." he said, his voice loud, but not necessarily hostile, as he moved towards Steele. There was a heavy limp in his left leg, and the thin hair on top of his head had started to gray. His bodyguard stood likewise, and took up his firearm, keeping it at the ready as they approached Steele.

"Lookit you, old man. You look like trash!" Darius laughed, his white teeth flashing.

Steele watched the bodyguard grab his weapon and hold it steady. Over-kill? Maybe. But it was a show of power more than anything, a demonstration of what could be done. He didn't require something so tactile. In showing up with little, he brought a weapon Darius didn't have the courage to.

"You gained weight," he observed, "And could be outrun by a toddler".

He turned his attention to the bodyguard, then to Darius all at once. No one made a move for the tables. There would be no exchange of hands in this exchange. The standoff lasted fractions of a moment, yet in them both parties weighed the other like the measuring of gold.

"Any of your little monsters tried to kick your teeth in yet?"

Darius chuckled, but the sound that came from his throat was mirthless and dry.

"Cut to the chase, Steele. We been layin' low. Something we can do for you? I missed my game for this, so, all due respect, better be good."

His massive figure was within two yards of Steele, but otherwise, he didn't move.

"And here I thought were just trading insults... do you think I didn't notice?"

He lifted his head. They were roughly the same height, yet that was a look of a man who saw himself above the other, a judgement as thick and heavy as cream.

"So what's laying low mean to you, Darius?".

PreviousPage 2 of 12Next