Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Coyotes Run (CA - Zander & Matthew)

PreviousPage 3 of 3

Matthew was still there out in the sun's heat an hour later.

He hadn't moved. Although tears had fallen down his cheeks at some point, the sun's heat had long dried them up that he looked the same to when he had first come out; All alone in the shadow of the house with his backpack beside him.

Megan came out as the shadows started to grow just a little longer - the sun had passed its aperture and the day beat steadily in the dry heat of the afternoon.  She was wearing a sunhat and clasped between her fingers was a cool drink of lemonade.

She did not look at Matthew, or in the least say anything, yet instead sat down silently in the shade of the building several feet away.  She set the glass down and continued to look outwards to the dry landscape.

"I used to come out here," she said - yet to no one at all, as though she were conversing with the wind, "After my mom died, and my dad rooted up our lives to this place... I was so angry at him I couldn't even look at him. I'd run out here, even though I knew I'd get a horrible sunburn, and stare at the horizon until I felt a little less angry".

She drew her fingers gently to her knee, rubbing them against the denim of her jeans, "Because the truth is, I wasn't really angry.  I was just sad... and scared".

Matthew didn't budge at all by Megan's presence. Instead he simply sat and listened. Then silence followed. A while past before Matthew's quiet voice was heard.

" I didn't get to say goodbye to my mom... and I don't know where my dad is."

"I had a long time to say goodbye to my mom," Megan replied gently, "I don't know if that made it any easier.  I'm sorry you lost yours too".

She offered a comforting arm to Matthew, if he wanted to take it or not was up to him.

"We mean what we offered. You can stay as long as you like. We can try to help you find your family, if you want, or connect you with resources for your future.  I know Zander can be a bit of a busy-body, but he'd help you with the er.. other side of things, if you needed it you know".

Matthew was quiet for a moment.

" I had a long time to say goodbye to my mom too, but I still didn't ever do it." He said quietly. " I kept telling myself she would get better and I didn't need to say goodbye... But then...." Matthews lip quivered as tears came to his hazel eyes, the next words being swallowed up in his sorrow to be spoken.

Megan nodded. No more words needed to be said.  The arm hadn't been rejected, so she took both arms and gently wrapped them around his shoulders.

Matthew let Megan hug him as tears ran down his cheeks and a sniffles came from his nose. His tears were silent, but his eyes closed as they kept coming. Soon he buried his head into his arms not knowing when they'd stop, his shoulders shaking with every quiet bitter exhale as the tears kept stinging his eyes.

Megan stayed with him as long as he liked, until the tears had run dry and his shoulders stopped heaving.  By then, the ice cubes in the glass of lemonade had  melted.  When the timing seemed right, she settled to her feet, picked up the glass in one hand and Matthew's with the other,  and lead him back inside.

PreviousPage 3 of 3