Forums

Forum Navigation
Please to create posts and topics.

Captains (Uno, Lyra, & the Shepherds)

PreviousPage 5 of 15Next

I felt the tension in the room so thick I could swim in it. I stood amidst the current, listening as Clay relayed the story and feel my mood sink further into the abyss. This was more than just looking for bears in the woods.  We were on manhunts. If I hadn't told Chapman, would any of this had gone done?

Then Clay spun the story on its head and asked me what I thought. Single mindedly found me in the room, as though my opinion had any weight here.

Except.. didn’t it? I wasn’t just some security guard. As of two days ago, I was going to be his Captain.  If ever that was a sobering thought for the future, then it was certainly that. I was the person people would turn to and ask what I thought; and that person would actually listen and possibly follow my advice.

“I think it’s not a question of if she finds out, but when and how,” I said slowly, “It’s not ideal for anyone. But it’s evident even if she was dismissed and her dog was retired, that’d just turn her against us and spur her onwards…”

I looked around the room slowly, “Has anyone thought about telling her the truth? Or a version of it? Is there anything like this that has happened before that could be used as a baseline?”

Everyone was uncomfortable and tense. Kimberly's death wasn't an end, but the first domino falling in a long line of many.

"The other officer who was there knows, former officer Roger Cooper. Everyone takes it differently. In his case, he's convinced his greatest monster is within and has lived in a stupor ever since the incident. If he were ever sober he might begin to process what he saw and seek to take some form of action. He knows what it was-but he's not motivated to do anything about it. Officer Torres is a completely different person. She's motivated, cunning and determined, and clear of mind. I'm afraid of what kind of danger she might put herself and others in if she knows." Chapman observed aloud.

"Until Reggie is found, let's keep a low profile and keep an eye on her. Don't let her see you, try not to get involved. I'm not comfortable with her knowing right now." Chapman instructed, meeting Val's eyes in particular.

"Alright, great, the guys are gonna stalk Torres... and hope to high heavens she doesn't catch you, or you'll be minced meat. As for us, what do we do when we find Reggie?"

Tara piped up now, her narrowed eyes coming up over the paper. Chapman returned his gaze without moving his head. "We're just going to talk." he stood and started out.

"We'll talk more in the car. I have a feeling we're gonna have plenty of time... hope your coffee's strong, Newbie." Clay said to Val, following suite and heading out, waiting for everyone else to leave so he could lock the office.

Chapman's word was final.  I couldn't say he was wrong. Lyra was a liability to us, and basically an entire race of people she'd never met.  There was no guarantees the truth would set us free. She could be angry that our existence led to the demise of her partner. She could be upset the truth had been hidden. For all I knew, the second she found out, she'd shout the secrets of our kind from every rooftop.   Or swear her life to hunting the monsters that had taken Kimberly's life.

But I wanted to believe, maybe. That she could be different somehow. That maybe not everyone would necessarily become a hunter or a crazy old woman on the street upon learning this unspeakable truth. I could feel Clay's smarting remark. I hadn't had much time to impress him with whatever it was Chapman saw in me in the first place and doubted now had been a particularly stellar opportunity.

I followed behind the others and glanced down at the cup. I doubted anything could be strong enough for this fiasco.

So. That was Lyra Torres. Mark recognized her the moment she had entered the cafeteria. He had seen her in photos from Kimberly--one in particular came to mind, taken by Kimberly, with the pair of them in uniform but making silly faces into the camera from the seats of their police cruiser. Kimberly had her eyes crossed and tongue out as she flashed a peace sign with her free hand. Lyra was pulling up her nose and puffing up her cheeks.

He saw her again, briefly, at the funeral, before she disappeared into the ether. It would seem that was her favorite magic trick. He'd no sooner had a chance to introduce himself just now in the cafeteria than she was gone again.

He wasn't sure who she'd agreed to meet over the phone. And perhaps it wasn't his place to have overheard, let alone be concerned about her. But she seemed... well, she seemed like a woman preparing to walk into a lion's den. And if she was off her shift, it wasn't for police business.

It wouldn't be the first time he'd been afforded a tiny glimpse into a stranger's life and cared a little too much. As a younger man, maybe he would have made a greater attempt to butt in, try to help. But he'd learned by now that sort of thing often did more harm than good.

He pulled a little notebook out of his pocket and started to scribble down a few thoughts on his mind, when he heard the door open to Clay's office and some familiar voices talking. He carefully tucked his notebook away and stood up, wondering, not for the last time, what he was even doing there--and reminding himself, not for the last time, that he had no better place to be. But he felt perhaps his little adventure with Chapman, Tara, and Val was coming to an end. As he stepped out the cafeteria, he noted they all looked grim. Perhaps more than they had coming in.

He wouldn't ask what was happening. But he did approach Chapman and offer to call himself a cab to shuttle him back to his hotel. "I can see you've got a lot going on tonight," he said.

Chapman met Mark and inquired about where Lyra had gone, after discerning she was no longer in the building. When it became apparent he didn't know, other than that "she had gone to dinner", Bob took the liberty of calling him a cab and gave him some money for the fare. He apologized that the visit had come to an abrupt end and on such a dour note, assured Mark they'd meet again in a couple days time, and then parted ways with Tara in tow.

Clay likewise parted with Val. Undercover vehicle, cruiser, personal car - if Lyra spotted it she'd know she was being followed. Clay opted for his own vehicle, a 97 Buick Park Avenue. He hung back far enough not to be seen, but close enough to stay on her tail-guided by the trail of her exhaust, the scent of Tyranny and Lyra's own signature smell.

His light colored eyes seemed to absorb every other light-the red, greens and yellows of the stoplights, the neon storefront signs, as they cruised through downtown.

"Maaan... talk about drama huh?" Clay broke the silence with a deep, penetrating tone, yet it was still much lighter than the tone he held when speaking to Chapman earlier. "You havin second thoughts? Don't get cold feet on me, Newbie." he looked over to Val out of an eye, with a small smile in the corner of his mouth.

---- At Rocks ----

Country music blared. The smell of cigarette smoke filled the lounge and seeped into the dining area. Groups were gathered around pool tables that filled the center of the large room, other folks filled the bar, fewer filled the tables and booths that made up the perimeter of the establishment. It was a standalone place with a big red sign in a western font.

Roger waited for Lyra at a booth near the window. He'd taken the initiative of getting chips and salsa, but had been there some time and was about two beers and a couple of triple shot Jack-and-Cokes in when she'd called. He opted to hold off on alcohol and cigarettes from here on through the visit, and except for a bit of a flush, was perfectly capable of composing himself. Yet, all signs of mental, physical and spiritual warfare were there - from the gauntness of his face and sunken look in his eyes to the gray pallor of his once dark tan skin, he was but a wisp of the Roger who once served proudly alongside Chapman.

From his vantage point,  he waited to see Lyra come through the door to call her to the booth.

I had one eye ahead, and my attention everywhere else in the cabin of the car.  I knew I could trust Clay because Chapman did, but he was still a stranger to me. It was automatic to make note of the timber of his voice, the scent of his soap, the musk of his skin... automatic to any werewolf, perhaps, but not to the degree. I caught myself just short of dissecting every single odor in the vehicle (because what was I even expecting to find - 'help me' written in blood?).

This was just a normal police stakeout. With what was going to be my boss. Chasing the woman I'd spent several hours alone with before. Who was two steps away from discovering a secret that could get her killed - or worse, expose a secret the Chapmans had no doubt been layering for the last century. I was trying to decide if this was a form of karmic justice for my past misdeed, or just another Tuesday.

Right when Clay spoke I realized I hadn't said a word to him since his office. Because apparently, that's what normal people did when they met someone new. Broke the ice, asked them about their family, commented on the weather. Me - I was just trying to figure out if he killed a man.

"Thoughts?" I suffered a low laugh to that, "I have many thoughts - second, third, fourth, etcetera.  Don't worry, my feet aren't going anywhere..."

I trained my eyes straight ahead, "Huh, looks like our quarry is... going out for dinner?"

It didn't take Lyra long to spot Roger. She'd know him anywhere, no matter how broken. It was odd, looking at a face that looked so familiar and so strange at the same time. It had only been a few months. But those months had taken their toll. It matched how she felt inside, seeing him. At once, the familiarity, the comfort--he'd been a mentor and a friend, holding a similar place in her heart as her beloved Uncle "Toro", though from the other side of the tracks. The "right" side of the tracks. Roger'd been a hero in her eyes. But now... Now there was this nagging urge to be on-guard in his company. There was the sorrow to see how far he'd sunk. There was the anger. He'd been the one who pulled the trigger. There was the regret. He'd loved Kimberly as much as she did. He was papa bear. They were "his girls". Until...

She shoved her hands in her pockets and hunched her back a little. A defensive posture. She didn't want to feel anything she was feeling. She tried to imagine things were different as she approached his table. Imagine Kimberly was just outside, making sure the dogs were comfortable in the cruiser before she came in behind her. Imagine Roger didn't look like something the cat dragged in. That he would have that familiar warm smile that lit up his eyes when he saw her.

She just needed the image long enough to have the courage to sit down. She rested her forearms on the table and squared her shoulders. Then she let it evaporate. Kimberly wasn't outside. She was gone. But Roger wasn't. Maybe... Maybe if she could find some answers... Maybe whatever was left of Roger could find some peace too.

"Hey Jefe," she said. "Been a while."

Roger offered a half smile to Lyra, but couldn't quiet meet her eyes-there was no spark of light like he'd normally get when he greeted her before. He rested with his forearms on the table, his hands clasped together as his eyes caught the reflection of the red "Rocks" sign outside.

There was no need for small talk. He'd worked with Lyra enough, and vice versa, to know that neither were fans of it.

"Where do you want me to start?"

Clay could sense Val's unease.

"Chapman's done you dirty. What do I gotta do to convince you to breathe? I am not doing CPR man. I don't know you like that." Clay said, raising an eyebrow.

"Alright, I'm gonna tell you somethin I haven't told -anyone- else. You gotta promise not to laugh." Clay narrowed his eyes on Val.

"When I get home, the first thing I wanna do - no lie - is get outta my uniform, and get into my jammies and bunny slippers and make a cup of hot chocolate. I put those little - you know, like mini marshmallows on top." deadpan. He seemed to ignore the location for the time, after they'd come to a park in an alley across the street.

PreviousPage 5 of 15Next